AC/DC - Power Up available November 13

SAU3R

2 hours ago, Silent Jay said:

I liked Black Ice because the band step outside their comfort zone and the songs were quite serious (Dream, Money Made, War Machine, Stormy May Day, Black Ice) and I thought Rock Or Bust was too corny.

Ok I've listened to the album entirely, couldn't help myself. 

Hide contents

This album sounds like For Those About To Rock and Fly On The Wall and Black Ice. The first half of the album is amazing, Realize and Rejection are instant classics to me. They're very strong. A bit of Down Of The Bordeline and a bit of the Bon Scott era. Mists of Time is almost a power ballad but I like it very much in the same vein of Anything Goes and Rock The Blues Away. The second half is strong but that's where the AC/DC formula starts to bore me a little bit. I think Systems Down is the strongest of the bunch. Overall I'm so happy, this album is certainly a grower. The band sound like they will never stop. Brian sounds amazing! Backing vocals are off the hook!

I agree with the FTATR comparison. That's where my mind went, especially just the sound of it, and I don't say that in a negative sense (a lot of people don't seem to like that album). Big Mutt Lange-esque production. I also agree it's frontloaded. Brian sounds awesome. 

Realize

Demon's Fire

Through The Mists of Time

Shot In The Dark

Wild Reputation

... are the one's I'd spin regularly. Witch's Spell coulda been on FTATR for sure.  Couple too many familiar mid-tempo's (Wild Reputation works for me)... but songs like Systems Down and Code Red are awesome in the verses and guitar work, I just don't like the choruses.

I like the backup vocals when it's done like Dogs of War on RoB (or even Miss Adventure) more so than Kick You When You're Down or No Man's Land (too tinkered with in the studio). 

Edited by Ant

If it’s even remotely in the same ballpark as ROB, I’ll be over the moon. Rock Or Bust is the most consistent and solid AC/DC album since Flick Of The Switch IMO. Not to say there weren’t a lot of great tracks in between, but Rock Or Bust was the first time I felt an AC/DC album was all killer, no filler in a long time. 

• GNFNR 1

9 hours ago, Powerage5 said:

If it’s even remotely in the same ballpark as ROB, I’ll be over the moon. Rock Or Bust is the most consistent and solid AC/DC album since Flick Of The Switch IMO. Not to say there weren’t a lot of great tracks in between, but Rock Or Bust was the first time I felt an AC/DC album was all killer, no filler in a long time. 

Yeah see I have outsized love for RoB (and I love FoTS)! I can run through the whole album if I'm in the mood. For AC/DC and me that's uncommon relative to their total output -- Powerage / HTH / BiB / FoTS / RoB.

Even on the intervening albums between FOTS and RoB that have lots of groups individual songs I like, the production bugs me. P.U.'s production is different from the RoB approach, but I like it more than B.I.'s and all the other 84-2000 approaches. 

I don't think PU runs through as cleanly as RoB. But the 6 songs I like I really like. Be curious to see how you feel!

Edited by Ant
  • GNFNR 3

2 hours ago, James Bond said:

If you want one of the exclusives it might be a good idea. I missed out on the picture disc on day one.

I didn't even know about the picture disc until the first time you said you missed out in it :lol: I really just want the yellow LP. 

• GNFNR 1

I've got the ice logo board book of Black Ice. I think that version was part of the Wal Mart exclusivity deal in North America if I remember correctly, right?

Were there different versions of Rock or Bust? Both my copies (vinyl and CD) have the lenticular cover so I'm not sure if there was just a plain version.

8 minutes ago, vloors said:

Is it me or angus is turning into mini Axl looks wise.

https://www.facebook.com/6750402929/posts/10158965876187930/

FB_IMG_1604625311087.jpg

Angus hasn't looked great in photoshoots in a long time IMO. His face usually looks a little bloated and sort of over-processed to the point of looking artificial. I've always sort of mentally attached this with the youth image to do with the schoolboy outfit, I have no idea if that's actually why his photoshoot pictures look so over-polished. In reality Angus is still skinny as a twig, and he looks more his age and a lot more natural onstage. Personally don't think Angus has looked good in photoshoots since around The Razor's Edge. 

37 minutes ago, Powerage5 said:

Angus hasn't looked great in photoshoots in a long time IMO. His face usually looks a little bloated and sort of over-processed to the point of looking artificial. I've always sort of mentally attached this with the youth image to do with the schoolboy outfit, I have no idea if that's actually why his photoshoot pictures look so over-polished. In reality Angus is still skinny as a twig, and he looks more his age and a lot more natural onstage. Personally don't think Angus has looked good in photoshoots since around The Razor's Edge. 

I must admit i like the photo but dont know how photoshopped or digitally enhanced this is. Its a change from the rail thin, long hair balding look that he has looked previously. I always used to see him like this and wonder if he has health issues....

On 11/3/2020 at 3:55 AM, Powerage5 said:

The best tracks between FOTS and ROB (in my opinion) 

Fly on the Wall

Sink the Pink 

Who Made Who

Heatseaker

That's the Way I Wanna Rock N' Roll

Nick of Time 

Thunderstruck 

Fire Your Guns 

The Razors Edge

Hard As A Rock 

Hail Ceasar

Stiff Upper Lip

Satellite Blues

Safe in New York City 

Rock N' Roll Train 

War Machine 

Stormy May Day 

12 hours ago, James Bond said:

I've got the ice logo board book of Black Ice. I think that version was part of the Wal Mart exclusivity deal in North America if I remember correctly, right?

Were there different versions of Rock or Bust? Both my copies (vinyl and CD) have the lenticular cover so I'm not sure if there was just a plain version.

There is a non-lenticular version of the CD. Not of the vinyl. I could send a picture but im not home atm. You could check discogs

9 hours ago, Sosso said:

Fly on the Wall

Sink the Pink 

Who Made Who

Heatseaker

That's the Way I Wanna Rock N' Roll

Nick of Time 

Thunderstruck 

Fire Your Guns 

The Razors Edge

Hard As A Rock 

Hail Ceasar

Stiff Upper Lip

Satellite Blues

Safe in New York City 

Rock N' Roll Train 

War Machine 

Stormy May Day 

That’s about my list, add Shake Your Foundations, Money Talks, Are You Ready, Meltdown, Anything Goes, and Black Ice as ones that are in regular rotation for me. 

36 minutes ago, Powerage5 said:

That’s about my list, add Shake Your Foundations, Money Talks, Are You Ready, Meltdown, Anything Goes, and Black Ice as ones that are in regular rotation for me. 

Chase the Ace and DT are great. I wish they would have included some new instrumentals on the Iron Man 2 soundtrack. 

• GNFNR 1

1 hour ago, Sosso said:

Chase the Ace and DT are great. I wish they would have included some new instrumentals on the Iron Man 2 soundtrack. 

Forgot about those. Wish they’d release the rest of the little ditties from Maximum Overdrive someday as well. 

• GNFNR 1

On 11/2/2020 at 11:54 PM, Ant said:

I agree with the FTATR comparison. That's where my mind went, especially just the sound of it, and I don't say that in a negative sense (a lot of people don't seem to like that album). Big Mutt Lange-esque production. I also agree it's frontloaded. Brian sounds awesome. 

Realize

Demon's Fire

Through The Mists of Time

Shot In The Dark

Wild Reputation

... are the one's I'd spin regularly. Witch's Spell coulda been on FTATR for sure.  Couple too many familiar mid-tempo's (Wild Reputation works for me)... but songs like Systems Down and Code Red are awesome in the verses and guitar work, I just don't like the choruses.

I like the backup vocals when it's done like Dogs of War on RoB (or even Miss Adventure) more so than Kick You When You're Down or No Man's Land (too tinkered with in the studio). 

I like Realize Rejection Mists Of Time and Witchs Spell. I think Demon Fire is too weak to be the second single. Realize has that Thunderstruck vibe and nostalgia that I like. I've been listening a lot to Realize and Mists of Time, the backing vocals are very well done, they sound evil but very hooky like those on the Razors Edge album.  Those breathing backing vocals on Mists of Time in particular are fantastic. Wild Reputation is very similar to Got Some RnR Thunder I like it. No Man's Land has that Money Made vibe too, the riffs are great.

• Like 1

On 11/6/2020 at 3:26 AM, Sosso said:

1. Fly on the Wall
  2. Sink the Pink 
  3. Who Made Who
  4. Heatseaker
  5. That's the Way I Wanna Rock N' Roll
  6. Nick of Time 
  7. Thunderstruck 
  8. Fire Your Guns 
  9. The Razors Edge
  10. Hard As A Rock 
  11. Hail Ceasar
  12. Stiff Upper Lip