AC/DC - Power Up available November 13

SAU3R

2 hours ago, Powerage5 said:

I went back and reread the Rock Or Bust album thread. I’m not saying this to say our current opinions on Power Up aren’t valid, but it’s amazing how many of the same comments we’re making now we also made about Rock Or Bust. I still think it’s a great AC/DC album, but it definitely pales in comparison to Power Up. It made for a fun read six years later for sure though :popcorn:

I also found it interesting that, despite the fact we almost all predicted the ROB setlists would be better and dig deeper than Black Ice, almost none of our rare song predictions were correct, be it songs they did with Brian or with Axl (Though kudos to @James Bond for predicting Touch Too Much!)

Did I really? :lol:

14 minutes ago, James Bond said:

Did I really? :lol:

You said it was a total pipe dream, but yeah :lol:

The only songs I got right were ROB, Play Ball, and Baptism By Fire. @Cosmo correctly called Riff Raff, Play Ball, Rock N' Roll Train, and Rock Or Bust. When @James Bond posted his full setlist guess, he correctly called High Voltage, Play Ball, Rock Or Bust, and Shot Down In Flames. @gunsfanoldie correctly called Riff Raff and Rock N' Roll Train. None of us correctly guessed Have A Drink On Me, Sin City, Given The Dog A Bone, Got Some Rock N' Roll Thunder, Rock N' Roll Damnation, If You Want Blood, Live Wire, Dog Eat Dog, or Problem Child. And almost all of us guessed Moneytalks, which of course didn't happen :lol:

• GNFNR 1

5 hours ago, James Bond said:

The band has referred to it both stylized and unstylized, so it would seem apparent that both are acceptable. I can't imagine being so bothered by a thread title.

Like Alice Cooper said, it's the little things. ;) And I can't comprehend people deliberately using the wrong name, when it clearly is PWR/UP. But that mistake starts with whatever douche responsible for their captions. No eyes for details. 

38 minutes ago, PatrickS77 said:

Like Alice Cooper said, it's the little things. ;) And I can't comprehend people deliberately using the wrong name, when it clearly is PWR/UP. But that mistake starts with whatever douche responsible for their captions. No eyes for details. 

How do you know the "douche" isn't the one in the marketing team that put "PWR/UP" on the posters? ;) 

But, if you ask my opinion, too much of this thread recently has been wasted on a pedantic argument. @janrichmond already suggested we leave it up to the OP to decide whether or not the title of this thread needs to be changed, I have already tried to steer the conversation back to actual conversation and that didn't work so now I'll outright say it: you have your opinions, no one else agrees with them and it's clear no one's minds are going to be changed. Time to drop it and move on. 

• Thanks 1
  • GNFNR 1

11 minutes ago, Powerage5 said:

How do you know the "douche" isn't the one in the marketing team that put "PWR/UP" on the posters? ;) 

But, if you ask my opinion, too much of this thread recently has been wasted on a pedantic argument. @janrichmond already suggested we leave it up to the OP to decide whether or not the title of this thread needs to be changed, I have already tried to steer the conversation back to actual conversation and that didn't work so now I'll outright say it: you have your opinions, no one else agrees with them and it's clear no one's minds are going to be changed. Time to drop it and move on. 

lNUh0uV.gif

The new album, which I will refer to as "Power Up"in this instance, is fantastically awesome. 

My only complaint would be the overall mastering of the album which is compressed and mixed to the point where I got ear fatigue listening on cans and had to switch to speakers.  But the songwriting IMO is well done and the performances are as always, high octane and badass. 

Some great vocals from Brian too, I am glad his hearing issue was resolved enough to do this record

Edited by WhazUp

38 minutes ago, Powerage5 said:

You keep defending that shit, even though it is clear as day that what the artwork says is what's right. So the only one wasting time is you.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, PatrickS77 said:

You keep defending that shit, even though it is clear as day that what the artwork says is what's right. So the only one wasting time is you.

Suuuuuure. Insulting a moderator like that will only get you banned. Good luck with that. 

46 minutes ago, James Bond said:

Fl(picture of an eye) On The Wall is underrated.

37 minutes ago, Powerage5 said:

Always loved that little detail on the album cover. The artwork sucks except for that detail :lol:

Fly on the Wall could have been much better with the production of George and Harry. 

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

6 hours ago, ShadowOfTheWave said:

I literally can't understand what Brian is singing on songs like the title track and First Blood.

It doesn’t help that those are arguably Brian’s worst recorded vocals. He hot this phase in the mid 80’s where his voice was just totally shredded, probably from trying to belt out the Back In Black material every night. He sounds really rough on Who Made Who and Blow Up Your Video also, though he started regaining some power and control during that tour. And of course we all know he was back to full strength for The Razor’s Edge. From Ballbreaker onwards he sort of changed his style, a little less raspy. ROB and Power Up were more of a return to form, though of course he can’t be expected to sound like he’s still in his 30’s. 

• GNFNR 1

Time to add my opinion on the album.

It's fantastic. In my opinion probably their best album since Ballbreaker. I re-listened to Black Ice and Rock or Bust and I much prefer Power Up.

Black Ice was only strong because of the title track, which is one of their best songs overall and has one of the meanest guitar riffs out there. Also Rock N Roll Train (my absolute favorite AC/DC song), War Machine and Rock N Roll Dream. Hate to say it, but the rest was forgettable.

With RoB they said they tried to get back to the bluesy roots, if I remember correctly. My favorite song off that album was Baptism By Fire, but the title track aswell as Play Ball was also good. The rest was ... well, there.

But Power Up is great. I can't even tell you what my favorite is, right now it's Kick You When You're Down and Money Shot. Weakest point for me was TTMOT. I know, people love it because it's different, but hm. I don't hate it but I don't love it either. The rest is a very strong album in my opinion, has been on repeat all week. 

• Like 1

@TheGeneral @Powerage5 Which makes me think that some of the song ideas might have been rearranged/adjusted by Brendon O'Brien and Mike Fraser. I'm not saying the songs would be less great without them but they might have added a couple of details that separates them from BI and ROB. 

Edited by Sosso
  • GNFNR 1

1 hour ago, TheGeneral said:

It's fantastic. In my opinion probably their best album since Ballbreaker. I re-listened to Black Ice and Rock or Bust and I much prefer Power Up.

Black Ice was only strong because of the title track, which is one of their best songs overall and has one of the meanest guitar riffs out there. Also Rock N Roll Train (my absolute favorite AC/DC song), War Machine and Rock N Roll Dream. Hate to say it, but the rest was forgettable.

With RoB they said they tried to get back to the bluesy roots, if I remember correctly. My favorite song off that album was Baptism By Fire, but the title track aswell as Play Ball was also good. The rest was ... well, there.

But Power Up is great. I can't even tell you what my favorite is, right now it's Kick You When You're Down and Money Shot. Weakest point for me was TTMOT. I know, people love it because it's different, but hm. I don't hate it but I don't love it either. The rest is a very strong album in my opinion, has been on repeat all week. 

TTMOT isn’t so much that it’s different to me - it’s very much in the same vein as Anything Goes and Rock The Blues Away, it just hits a little harder for me. I’m a massive fan of this slightly poppier sound that has popped up once per album over the last three, and I’d love to see more songs that fit this mold. 

53 minutes ago, Sosso said:

@TheGeneral @Powerage5 Which makes me think that some of the song ideas might have been rearranged/adjusted by Brendon O'Brien and Mike Fraser. I'm not saying the songs would be less great without them but they might have added a couple of details that separates them from BI and ROB. 

I’d imagine the same is true for ROB to an extent - the songs for both albums were culled from ideas Angus and Mal had worked on, but who knows the state of completion they were in before they got shelved. I very much doubt most of the songs were completely ready to go without any additional work or arranging. 

• GNFNR 1

I disliked SITD at first but like it now. It's the opposite with Demon Fire which I don't find that impressive now. Favorite tracks are TTMOT & Witches Spell.

1 hour ago, TheGeneral said:

I think Stormy May Day is pretty unique and cool.

• GNFNR 1

38 minutes ago, Powerage5 said:

I'd imagine the same is true for ROB to an extent - the songs for both albums were culled from ideas Angus and Mal had worked on, but who knows the state of completion they were in before they got shelved. I very much doubt most of the songs were completely ready to go without any additional work or arranging. 

This album sounds like an anthology of all the different eras. I can even hear some riffs and ideas from the 70s. I had to think about the Powerage album when listening to that heavy guitar riff from Witches Spell for example.

Edited by Sosso
  • GNFNR 1

On 11/19/2020 at 10:56 AM, Tom2112 said:

Oh I don't mean an AXL/DC album, I mean an album under Axl and Angus's name. I think Angus will retire the band name when Brian and co decide to go. I think he'd tour with a new bass player for any extra shows Cliff isn't willing to play, but I think at this stage on the AC/DC career he isn't contemplating a whole new line up. He even said that he thought the band was over after the last run.

An Angus solo album at some point would be cool. Get Axl on a couple tracks, Brian on a couple tracks, and some other guests. It would be cool to hear some more bluesy stuff like Ride On that might not fit on a modern ACDC album.