AC/DC - Power Up available November 13

SAU3R

• 2 weeks later...

After a few months of a listen here or there really got into this album over the last couple of weeks.I think it’s a great effort by the boys.Just a straight ahead typical AC/DC record that kicks ass.Hope were able to see them tour behind it.Why can’t Guns do the same ???Nevermind ....

3 minutes ago, gt72 said:

After a few months of a listen here or there really got into this album over the last couple of weeks.I think it’s a great effort by the boys.Just a straight ahead typical AC/DC record that kicks ass.Hope were able to see them tour behind it.Why can’t Guns do the same ???Nevermind ....

ACDC have spent 30 years releasing "on brand" material constantly, and touring new albums. The expectations are "more of the same" and they are frequently met / exceeded. The ACDC brand compass never veers away from dead straight.

Guns have spent 30 years touring the same old stuff. They've run out of road and dug a hole for themselves. "More of the same" is getting boring, "another Appetite" is likely impossible, reinventing the brand into something else won't work now (potentially this was possible 2000-2004 but they fucked it up), and a knock-off third rate Appetite copycat album will get 2-star reviews and ruin their legacy so they won't do it. So we're all out of options. Rock or bust.

I agree though - just walk into a studio, knock out a Rnfnr album in 3 weeks. Keep it simple.

• GNFNR 1

• 3 weeks later...

I like the album.
If you ask me, ACDC put the bar really high with Black Ice which I consider one of their best albums, at the same level as the loved classics. Then came rock or bust which had an amazing lead single but the rest of the album wasn't as good.

Now this one, I feel the complete opposite, I didn't like the lead single, shot in the dark, but I enjoy it a lot.

I'm glad these guys put out this album, and I'd be happy if it happens to be the last one.

• 3 weeks later...

I think Realize and Through the Mists of Time made my "listen to once or twice a year" list and the rest is relegated to "I might spin this album in the background again someday"

Nothing wrong with that, Black Ice and Rock or Bust only had 1 song each that made it to "once or twice a year" :shrugs:

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Powerage5 said:

Once again, I’m not convinced Brian can handle a tour. I said the same thing last time he guested with someone a few years ago and I see no improvement here. 

I mean he’s 73, didn’t play a whole show since 2016, didn’t play a venue of this size since 2017.. I’m sure he wasn’t that well prepared plus I heard someone over at the AC/DC forum said he had laryngitis.. I also doubt he could handle a year long tour, but some shows here and there, like the Stones do, maybe some more.

He’s hitting all the notes, his voice just sounds unprepared and strained, some rehearsals, some warm-up and he’ll ne good to go imo 

6 hours ago, James Bond said:

I'd argue that an unrehearsed, deaf, 73 year old Brian Johnson sounds far more pleasing to my ears than a certain other singer that we follow around these parts.

Not disagreeing. But I don't want to see them go out on the road if Brian can't cut it. He sounds fantastic on the album, and I'd rather have AC/DC solely become a studio band if the choice is that or they go out with a whimper due to weak gigs. 

• Like 1

I think FF were playing in standard, on the last AC/DC run with Brian they were down a half step. He's 73, singing those 80s albums is a stretch. Axl was tearing his voice to shreds and he was 54? at the time. 

Does he sound great? nope, but I think he'll get into better shape once AC/DC gear up for a proper run of shows. AC/DC won't be doing 200 dates, it'll probably be closer to 50 worldwide... can Brain handle that? I don't know but singing this set compared to what Jagger does is a whole other ballpark.

Cut him some slack, I'm not expecting him to knock those old songs out of the park, but he at least sounds like Brian Johnson!!!

3 minutes ago, Powerage5 said:

Not disagreeing. But I don't want to see them go out on the road if Brian can't cut it. He sounds fantastic on the album, and I'd rather have AC/DC solely become a studio band if the choice is that or they go out with a whimper due to weak gigs. 

Yeah I agree with this. I skipped the Rock or bust show because I thought he sounded bad, I'd rather leave my memory of the band as 2009 when he was still pretty damn good!

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

11 hours ago, Powerage5 said:

For sure. I think the best course of action might be some farewell gigs with the current line-up, placed strategically and sporadically, covering some major cities and then either call it a day or switch to studio releases only (since I don't see Angus ever stopping entirely). Considering Brian was actually still hitting the notes here I feel like returning to a half-step down plus some proper rehearsal would mean he could hold it together for a handful of gigs.

• GNFNR 1

On 5/12/2021 at 10:12 PM, James Bond said:

For sure. I think the best course of action might be some farewell gigs with the current line-up, placed strategically and sporadically, covering some major cities and then either call it a day or switch to studio releases only (since I don't see Angus ever stopping entirely). Considering Brian was actually still hitting the notes here I feel like returning to a half-step down plus some proper rehearsal would mean he could hold it together for a handful of gigs.

Agree and i think Brian still sounds great on studio records such as power up.

Ill be happy they just did new albums. The amount of money they already have they dont need to tour ever again. 

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

2 hours ago, Sosso said:

I would be happy with five or ten for each continent. That would make 30 or 40 shows per tour (North & South America, Europe, Asia). 

Can't see them doing ten shows in Asia, it's not a particularly big market for them outside Japan. In fact, the band has never played anywhere in Asia outside of Japan (They did play Moscow in 1991 but of course that's in European Russia). 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Powerage5 said:

Can't see them doing ten shows in Asia, it's not a particularly big market for them outside Japan. In fact, the band has never played anywhere in Asia outside of Japan (They did play Moscow in 1991 but of course that's in European Russia). 

They could still play some shows on the other continents. Ten gigs on every leg and two/three shows per week. Something like that. 

Edited by Sosso
  • GNFNR 1

7 minutes ago, Sosso said:

They could still play some shows on the other continents. Ten gigs on every leg and two/three shows per week. Something like that. 

2 gigs top I'd guess. I think you're looking at about 20-40 shows worldwide, just can't see Cliff wanting to do more, or Brian being fit for anything more extensive. It'd be expensive but spacing out the shows as much as possible would be best for Brian, not so much that he's rusty or can't get his road legs but at 73 singing this style I'd say with travelling 1 show a week should probably be knocking his socks off. Who knows Brian might come out swinging and double nights and sound great! here's a hoping... big thing is when! I mean it's looking like AC/DC would be going on the road next year if they do anything. AC/DC isn't as crazy a prospect as Ozzy going back on the road though.

• Like 2
  • GNFNR 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/18/2021 at 1:16 AM, ZoSoRose said:

I think Realize and Through the Mists of Time made my "listen to once or twice a year" list and the rest is relegated to "I might spin this album in the background again someday"

Nothing wrong with that, Black Ice and Rock or Bust only had 1 song each that made it to "once or twice a year" :shrugs:

I’m surprised Code Red doesn’t do it for you. That’s my favorite one off the LP by far