AC/DC - Power Up available November 13

SAU3R

4 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

An Angus solo album at some point would be cool. Get Axl on a couple tracks, Brian on a couple tracks, and some other guests. It would be cool to hear some more bluesy stuff like Ride On that might not fit on a modern ACDC album.

I don't know if a solo album from Angus would work. The song ideas would still be the same and why not label them how they really are - as AC/DC? 

Edited by Sosso

6 hours ago, ShadowOfTheWave said:

I disliked SITD at first but like it now. It's the opposite with Demon Fire which I don't find that impressive now. Favorite tracks are TTMOT & Witches Spell.

I think Stormy May Day is pretty unique and cool.

IMO No Mans Land is way better than Stormy May Day which is really boring, same riff over and over and no solo. No Mans Land is much more thought out and in the same bluesy style. And Demon Fire just reminds me of Caught With Your Pants Down from Ballbreaker everytime which is a much better song too.

I can't get into Witches Spell at all, I have trouble even remembering anything from it even after having heard the album a lot. So many seem to love it but maybe I'm just an oddball fan because I like songs like Moneytalks, and albums like BUYV a lot.

Edited by StrangerInThisTown

2 hours ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

IMO No Mans Land is way better than Stormy May Day which is really boring, same riff over and over and no solo. No Mans Land is much more thought out and in the same bluesy style. And Demon Fire just reminds me of Caught With Your Pants Down from Ballbreaker everytime which is a much better song too.

I can't get into Witches Spell at all, I have trouble even remembering anything from it even after having heard the album a lot. So many seem to love it but maybe I'm just an oddball fan because I like songs like Moneytalks, and albums like BUYV a lot.

In case you haven’t noticed, practically all of us circle jerk all over Moneytalks ;) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 11/23/2020 at 2:37 AM, Powerage5 said:

In case you haven’t noticed, practically all of us circle jerk all over Moneytalks ;) 

No I havent, so good to see MT is appreciated, such a fun song. That blue note Brian hits just before the solo always gives me goosebumps, and then the solo of course is awesome.

12 hours ago, highvoltage said:

Witches Brew

Accidentally veered into Aerosmith territory there?:P RIAHP is a great album in my book! Bitches Brew is killer.

• GNFNR 1
  • Haha 1

I was reading AC/DC Fans tonight to see how people are reacting on an AC/DC-specific forum. Mostly positive, but a few negatives - several people think the vocals are too low in the mix (I can agree to an extent, I don't think it's atrocious but Brian could've been boosted a bit at times), and surprisingly a number of people disliked Mists Of Time, a handful saying it's the worst on the album (Unsurprisingly, most of the same people seemed to say they don't like Anything Goes or Rock The Blues Away either). 

There was one interesting thread though which caught my attention and I thought it would be fun to bring up here - if you had to condense the three Brendan O'Brien albums down to one 12 track album, what would you pick?

My picks:
1. Realize
2. Play Ball
3. Rock The Blues Away
4. Systems Down
5. Baptism By Fire
6. Money Shot
7. Rock N' Roll Train
8. Anything Goes
9. Demon Fire
10. Stormy May Day
11. Through The Mists Of Time
12. Black Ice

1. Black Ice 

2. Money Shot

3. Anything Goes

4. Hard Times

5. Kick You When You're Down

6. Miss Adventure

7. Systems Down

8. No Man's Land

9. Money Made

10. Emission Control

11. Play Ball

12. Through The Mists Of Time

Damn I'd never stop listening to it if this came out

1 hour ago, James Bond said:

I'd have to think on the latter two, but on Black Ice I'd probably only take Anything Goes, Rock And Roll Train, and probably Big Jack.

I had a really tough time picking tracks, mostly from all three albums but particularly from Black Ice and ROB. I put Black Ice on mine as out of the three similar closers, that’s the strongest to me. I figured RNR Train is a good Side 2 opener if it doesn’t open the album. Anything Goes is my favorite from the album, and I’ve always loved the slide guitar on Stormy May Day as that’s a bit different. 

As much as I like ROB, the sum of it’s parts is much stronger than many individual songs IMO. It’s a bit like FOTS in a sense for me - it’s an album I listen to front to back fairly regularly but I rarely listen to any individual songs from it. 

On 11/24/2020 at 3:14 PM, Powerage5 said:

surprisingly a number of people disliked Mists Of Time, a handful saying it's the worst on the album (Unsurprisingly, most of the same people seemed to say they don't like Anything Goes or Rock The Blues Away either). 

Yep, I'm in this camp. The entirety of the above applies to me. I've grown to hate Mists of Time less with more listens (Brian's comments around it were also pretty endearing) but it's the worst track on the album for me, save for the solo. No surprises from me on the other two tracks either. Bubblegum-AC/DC isn't for me. 

To your question, I couldn't answer track by track but it would probably look something like 7-8 tracks from Power Up, 3-4 from ROB and 1 from Black Ice.
I don't really understand the hype for Black Ice. I thought ROB was a much better listen overall; to the point, enjoyable front to back and finishes right before you get tired of the formula.  
BI is kind of like Ballbreaker for me - a bit of a chore after a certain point. 

Bit of a tangent, but I was saying to a friend the other day, my condensed album ranking sits something like:

POWERAGE / HTH / BIB
LTBR / FOTS
The rest of Bon-era (lazy but mostly true I think)
FTATR / FOTW / POWER UP (hard to clearly "rank" these for me)
----------
TRE / SUL
ROB / BUYV / BB
BI

Everything below the line, I'll rarely listen to in full but they'll each have anywhere between 1-4 tracks I really like.  
Everything above is more or less killer. Power Up sits pretty comortably among the upper group for me. 

First one in 30 years to make the cut. 👍

Black Ice is an interesting one. I remember really liking it at the time. But that was also the first AC/DC album to come out while I had been a fan, so it just felt really good to have something new. The album has not aged well at all for me. It’s tedious and meandering with any real flow or sense of purpose. A few really great standout tracks but that’s all I can say for it. Honestly, when I saw the 12 song lists that were being posted on AC/DC Fans, I had to look up the Black Ice tracklist as there were a handful of songs I’d forgotten even existed. 

• GNFNR 1

3 hours ago, Powerage5 said:

Black Ice is an interesting one. I remember really liking it at the time. But that was also the first AC/DC album to come out while I had been a fan, so it just felt really good to have something new. The album has not aged well at all for me. It’s tedious and meandering with any real flow or sense of purpose. A few really great standout tracks but that’s all I can say for it. Honestly, when I saw the 12 song lists that were being posted on AC/DC Fans, I had to look up the Black Ice tracklist as there were a handful of songs I’d forgotten even existed. 

What a shame that Malcolm's last album with the band was so average. He deserved a better final call if you ask me. 

• GNFNR 1

It is a solid album but crikey, it is samey for even AC/DC standards - not that that is a bad thing! Nothing really stands out but it is all the usual bluesy stadium rock. Brian sounds excellent. "Kick You When You're Down" might be my favourite. Nothing else to see here haha.

It is great somebody is still doing albums like this.

• Like 1