Have You Given Up On The Band?

5 hours ago, StayofExecution2020 said:

They're not wasting anything. They're still releasing albums with their side projects while playing concerts with gnr. It's a win win for them

Less than they would have. If he's spending the majority of his time doing the nostalgia tour, he's got way less time to do other things. Slash has definitely slowed down since rejoining the band. One album in 6 years, 7 if he doesn't release one this year. Obviously, he's welcome to do whatever. I'll go see Slash, whether its Guns or SMKC, but would rather he just move on and focus on new music full time.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, pugachev said:

Less than they would have. If he's spending the majority of his time doing the nostalgia tour, he's got way less time to do other things. Slash has definitely slowed down since rejoining the band. One album in 6 years, 7 if he doesn't release one this year. Obviously, he's welcome to do whatever. I'll go see Slash, whether its Guns or SMKC, but would rather he just move on and focus on new music full time.

Artists slow down with age regardless anyway. Slash probably doesn’t even care at this point. He’s already done 8 albums outside of GnR, afterall.

given up on the band? no. given up on new music ? yes.

if new music happens then great, but im not expecting it... and if it does happen im not expecting anything spectacular... at this point i see the band more or less like led zep or pink floyd, except theres a small chance i may get to see them live a few more times 

• Like 1

Here’s proof that a new album doesn’t exist: Fortus said it would sound “even more evolved than Chinese Democracy did,” whereas Ferrer said it would sound “more punk rock.” The fact that they gave two completely different answers there shows that nothing has really been happening.

That being said, in the slim 1% chance that something did ever happen now, I’m actually at a point where I want it to be all new stuff. No old stuff. I was listening back to the village leaks just now and stuff that used to sound good to me like Hardschool, Atlas, Berlin, Soul Monster, etc just doesn’t sound right to my ears anymore.

EDIT: Meant to post this in the Susan thread. Sorry!

Edited by rocknroll41
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Sydney Fan said:

But it would be more appropriate for GNR to do it.

Its interesting that Duff did a few deep cuts that GNR as part of NITL would not do.

One time in 2009 Dizzy and Fortus were doing their own show at the viper room and they did PTU, so I expected that song to be added to the 2009-2010 tour setlist for GnR. Guess not! Lol.

12 hours ago, ShadowOfTheWave said:

I would not even bother listening to a brand new Axl/Slash collaboration at this point. Zero interest. Reworked CD II or bust.

My biggest fear is this: waiting for so long to be disappointed like I was with ChiDem.

I still listen do AFD, Lies, UYIs, TSI from beginning to end.

I think I listened to ChiDem once or twice (in 2008 and there's not a single song in there that catches my attention anymore).

P.S. to me the best song still from 94 to 2021 was "Oh My God", but it didn't age well, ChiDem didn't age well.

So there it is, our expectations are so high right now that if they don't make something better that AFD (at least) it will flop, and they won't.

13 hours ago, rocknroll41 said:

Here’s proof that a new album doesn’t exist: Fortus said it would sound “even more evolved than Chinese Democracy did,” whereas Ferrer said it would sound “more punk rock.” The fact that they gave two completely different answers there shows that nothing has really been happening.

That being said, in the slim 1% chance that something did ever happen now, I’m actually at a point where I want it to be all new stuff. No old stuff. I was listening back to the village leaks just now and stuff that used to sound good to me like Hardschool, Atlas, Berlin, Soul Monster, etc just doesn’t sound right to my ears anymore.

EDIT: Meant to post this in the Susan thread. Sorry!

Something I forgot about when writing this is that a couple of “insiders” across different forums who seem to be somewhat more legit than others have claimed that the new album would be “a mix of old and new,” as in half ChiDem leftovers and half new stuff. If that were the case, than I suppose both Fortus and Frank could be correct here. If anything, that Hardschool soundcheck alone shows that they’re taking ChiDem leftovers and making them sound more “punk.” So I guess it was a little premature of me to use those conflicting quotes as “proof” of a new album’s nonexistence then. That being said, I still don’t think it’ll ever come out.

On 1/4/2021 at 10:33 AM, StayofExecution2020 said:

lol @ the CD lineup filling stadiums. 

They filled up theaters and arenas. I actually liked them more back then too. The band sounded tight. Playing songs like Shackler's Revenge with so much energy. 2011 Chicago and 2012 in Detroit. Fond memories. Saw them again in Detroit 2016, it was OK. Then my dad and I saw Axl with AC/DC the same year and same city. That was fantastic. I'd pay good money for a DVD/Blu-ray of the Axl/DC show selects. 

10 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

Something I forgot about when writing this is that a couple of “insiders” across different forums who seem to be somewhat more legit than others have claimed that the new album would be “a mix of old and new,” as in half ChiDem leftovers and half new stuff. If that were the case, than I suppose both Fortus and Frank could be correct here. If anything, that Hardschool soundcheck alone shows that they’re taking ChiDem leftovers and making them sound more “punk.” So I guess it was a little premature of me to use those conflicting quotes as “proof” of a new album’s nonexistence then. That being said, I still don’t think it’ll ever come out.

I've heard a year or two ago that it was mostly CD2 but re-recorded by the current lineup, when appropriate. I would imagine since then hopefully they have some "new" tracks. 

It would be nice if the next album wasn't as over-produced like CD was. 2008 CD vs the 2000ish demos... I preferred the demos overall. A proper mix and mastering of the village era would have made one hell of an album or two, with Axl's vocals on some of the better of the instrumentals. 

12 minutes ago, Sweersa said:

I've heard a year or two ago that it was mostly CD2 but re-recorded by the current lineup, when appropriate. I would imagine since then hopefully they have some "new" tracks. 

It would be nice if the next album wasn't as over-produced like CD was. 2008 CD vs the 2000ish demos... I preferred the demos overall. A proper mix and mastering of the village era would have made one hell of an album or two, with Axl's vocals on some of the better of the instrumentals. 

I actually prefer the final 2008 version of the album, but I’m one of the only few people on the whole planet who does lol.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

I actually prefer the final 2008 version of the album, but I’m one of the only few people on the whole planet who does lol.

I like it except some of Bumble's parts and almost no bass guitar that I can hear. (Maybe it's just my equipment) 

18 minutes ago, Sweersa said:

I like it except some of Bumble's parts and almost no bass guitar that I can hear. (Maybe it's just my equipment) 

The bass is definitely much lower on the final album, compared to the demos, but that doesn’t bother me, and I liked bumble’s additions (tho I’m one of the only few who did).

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

The bass is definitely much lower on the final album, compared to the demos, but that doesn’t bother me, and I liked bumble’s additions (tho I’m one of the only few who did).

Man! You just solved a big mistery to me! This is actually why I don't dig ChiDem, forget about over producing, thousand of sound layers, synths and all the songs buried under tins of guitar glitches.

To me, GNR's sound is very unique because the bass is always proeminent and in the middle, loud, conducting the song.

ChiDem lacks bass, even in "Scraped", it reminds of what Metallica did with "...And Justice For All".

I aways felt bothered by something in the record's sound overall, now I know: the lack of bass.

53 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

I liked his guitar on the title cut, and his playing towards the end of Catcher, and the Shackler's Revenge solo. His Riad solo bugged me the most. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rocknroll41 said:

There's some songs where I prefer the demos, and some where I prefer the album version; some are hard to judge like Shackler's either having a very primitive demo or no demo at all.  I'd love to hear what earlier versions of Scraped and This I Love sounded like.

Chinese (the title track) is so much better in its early demo form, all it was missing is the Bucket solo extension to hit perfection.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Legendador said:

Man! You just solved a big mistery to me! This is actually why I don't dig ChiDem, forget about over producing, thousand of sound layers, synths and all the songs buried under tins of guitar glitches.

To me, GNR's sound is very unique because the bass is always proeminent and in the middle, loud, conducting the song.

ChiDem lacks bass, even in "Scraped", it reminds of what Metallica did with "...And Justice For All".

I aways felt bothered by something in the record's sound overall, now I know: the lack of bass.

Yeah AJFA is a good comparison, in that regard. I like AJFA, but definitely not as much as the Burton albums, or even The Black Album!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, rocknroll41 said:

Yeah AJFA is a good comparison, in that regard. I like AJFA, but definitely not as much as the Burton albums, or even The Black Album!

AJFA is a complete anomaly as it shouldn’t really work....and yet it does. Over the years folk have used Guitar Hero stems to mix higher bass and it sounds weird!

From memory the rough mixes in the Deluxe set had a bit more bass although some guitar tracks were missing.

4 hours ago, Gackt said:

There's some songs where I prefer the demos, and some where I prefer the album version; some are hard to judge like Shackler's either having a very primitive demo or no demo at all.  I'd love to hear what earlier versions of Scraped and This I Love sounded like.

Chinese (the title track) is so much better in its early demo form, all it was missing is the Bucket solo extension to hit perfection.

Pretty much exactly how I feel. Chin Dem the song is a mean rocker in the Village sessions and waaay more raw. As is Rhiad.

Prostitute on the final version is much better than the Village version.

I’d say 3/4 of the final release was properly better in in 2000/2001 which is crazy really. Although don’t get me wrong - I’m a big fan of 2008 CD.

• Like 1

I wrote this on discord, but wanted to share it here too:

Yah know, I just realized something. I think the reason why AFD stood the test of time and none of the other albums did is cause, even tho a lot of the AFD lyrics are rather dark, they’re still presented in a way where the “feeling” is mostly optimistic. Whereas all of the other records feel rather pessimistic. I think that’s why most casual audiences just care about AFD and nothing else. It feels like a “party album.” 

Really even by UYI they already were “the Axl Rose show” since he forced in a keyboardist that nobody else wanted. I think AFD became too successful for its own good and forced them to stay together long past due. Had they been a cult band like the pistols and broke up after just one album, they woulda never become a joke. Izzy’s lyrics in PTU were a clue!

EDIT: To add to my point above, I know there were other people in the band before Slash/Duff/Adler (for like a day), and I know some UYI songs actually pre-date AFD, but I still think the point stands that from 1990 onward Axl suddenly had more “power” than everyone else (keyboardist, touring musicians, etc), whereas before that things seemed much more “equalized” between all the band members (from what we can tell). I suppose you can also say that GnR died with Izzy’s exit, since he was technically the only other “true” original member besides Axl.

So to tie this all back to the thread topic: Ive given up on the band because I see now that there isn’t even really a band there anymore, and it’s actually been that way since 1990/1991. Don’t get me wrong; I like the UYI era, and stuff like the backing musicians helped to make it feel HUGE at the time, but it didn’t age as well as AFD did for the general consensus, and I think that’s for a reason. So in my mind, 1985-1990 GnR is a separate band from 1990-Present GnR. I like both bands, but the first one was definitely WAY more timeless.

Edited by rocknroll41
  • Like 1