Have You Given Up On The Band?

3 hours ago, Sweersa said:

Me too, or best case is they re-release CD with a 2-3 disc box set with tracks by the lineup of that era. 

My best guess is the next album will be comprised of mostly CD-era tracks with some Slash and Duff parts added. I would think they would keep some of the Bucket and Robin stuff, and hopefully all of Brain's drums. Haha

A CD deluxe set would be sweet - I mentioned elsewhere that by releasing all the ‘village’ stuff as part of a CD set up immediately kill the hoarder scene....and this would not hurt CDs legacy either...just adds to it IMO.

10 hours ago, Sweersa said:

I mean... I like Slash, but does anyone really think he would take an existing Robin and Bucket solo and make it better?

Yeah he would. Definitely.

Because if it's a hacked up cut and paste job with plug-and-play band members and musical pieces from bygone eras, it'll be released and shrugged off in a week. A giant thud sound will echo through the digital ether and the book of GNR will be slammed closed. And with that awful taste still lingering, people will start to say AFD wasn't even that great. 

Edited by Ant
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Euchre said:

I remember in 89/90 all the talk was about when is the new album going to be recorded. I also remember being on the Boerio forum in '96 or so and it was basically the same sort of chatter that happens now (eg rather than Frank v Adler, it was Sorum v Adler, oh and when is the next album coming out)....

Since then I've seen multiple generations of fans come through, get excited, give up on  the band, repeat.

The only things that surprise me are :

a)  how anyone has creative hope for this band as the only creative period for it was with the original 5. (Even though Adler didn't make it to recorded UYI, he was still in the band for the vast bulk of the writing).

b) Why people thing Axl is such a creative force or driver of the band's success - don't get me wrong I think all original 5 contributed vitally for the bands success including Axl, but watching things over the life of the band his perceived contribution has taken on an ever more out-weighted role. This October will mark 30 years with 1 album of original material. That's not an artist.  If you go back through the band's history he basically tried to fuck up every key milestone (first big show with international artist Alice Cooper doesn't show up, flips out day of signing record contract and  almost no shows, no shows for the first few days of the SCOM shoot, goes nuts on the Iron Maiden tour, doesn't want to do the Aerosmith tour, flips out at the Stones shows) - without the other guys around him those first few years would have ended up just like the last 30. Oh and his performance/singing has been pretty spotty from 91 as well.

The reality is the original 5 had this great balance and creative potential. Since '91 it has all been about money, credibility or the highest quality musical output rates a distance second. The band has become every single thing that it once stood against.

Interesting.  If this is the case why has Axl been so fated as the 'genius' of GnR?  A personality cult maybe?

CD and CD era music was great  :headbang:.

Good, Vital fresh blood, a rock masterpiece and a bridge in the legacy of GNR.

Keeping everything afloat.

Now, a CD-2 done with Slash and Duff would be a very good move for GNR.

Continuing their moves and momentum in all the right directions.  rock3

Edited by j axler

53 minutes ago, ssiscool said:

When you've got years of stuff to catch up on, it grows. Once everything is caught up it remains to be seen what happens 

Exactly. Of course GNR is growing.

GNR is simply picking up where they left off,

in conquering the world.

Edited by j axler

39 minutes ago, j axler said:

CD and CD era music was great  :headbang:.

Good, Vital fresh blood, a rock masterpiece and a bridge in the legacy of GNR.

Keeping everything afloat.

Now, a CD-2 done with Slash and Duff would be a very good move for GNR.

Continuing their moves and momentum in all the right directions.  rock3

CD a bridge? To what? To the abyss? 

I don't wanna hear cd2 with Frank having replaced brain and slash replacing bucket. Anyone that thinks they would put out anything with bucket or Robin or bumble on are delusional though. As if slash would want that. 

I think if we hadn't have had the reunion we still wouldn't had an album. Bumble and Ashba would have left in 2014 either way and then they probably would've come back in 2016 with new musicians and carried on the never ending tour ala 09 to 14.we would've all got our hopes up with each new leg as we always do thinking a new song is coming when the most we get is Out to get me being put in the set every so often. 

I don't mind them working older material I just want it to be newly recorded. Oklahoma or Berlin as its now called, Jackie Chan etc although as it was called Hard School on the setlist this year suggests its gone back to its original title. There's so many good songs from the leaks that would sound amazing recorded by the new line up. 

This band will forever and always be my favorite band. From the point I was a old enough to remember; their music had me hooked. But being a fan since the 90s; I've grown to accept this band for what it is and not to expect anything until you have physical evidence in your hands that you are getting something; rather it be a concert ticket, an album/digital content. 

As much as I would love to hear any new content that isn't old demos of yesteryears; I'm not holding my breath or setting myself up for disappointment. I'll accept whatever this band will dish out; which seems they are content on touring the same old songs and I'll still pay to see them once COVID is over. I'll still buy t-shirts and other merch because I just a fanboy at heart for this band. But until I have an actual new album in my hands or digitally downloaded. Then I'll just take what I can get for now and just let it be. 

8 hours ago, Ant said:

Yeah he would. Definitely.

Because if it's a hacked up cut and paste job with plug-and-play band members and musical pieces from bygone eras, it'll be released and shrugged off in a week. A giant thud sound will echo through the digital ether and the book of GNR will be slammed closed. And with that awful taste still lingering, people will start to say AFD wasn't even that great. 

Because if it's a hacked up cut and paste job with plug-and-play band members

Isnt this how CD was put together?.

5 hours ago, Free Bird said:

CD a bridge? To what? To the abyss? 

LOL, what "abyss"? :question::D

GNR are back on top of the game, like they were before. And growing by leaps and bounds.

Much of it thanks to rock masterpiece CD.

Edited by j axler

5 minutes ago, j axler said:

GNR are back on top of the game, like they were before. And growing by leaps and bounds.

That's a very poor attempt of trolling but the CD era has nothing to do with GNR's successful reunion tour. 

50 minutes ago, j axler said:

Time to log back in to one of your doubtless many accounts  I think.

We're used to a higher standard of trolling round here. 

25 minutes ago, Free Bird said:

That's a very poor attempt of trolling but the CD era has nothing to do with GNR's successful reunion tour. 

Hahah, trolling is ignoring the facts like you are doing.

Attempting to block CD from GNR success, while CD is a brilliant album  that has kept GNR afloat for many years. CD is far better, and much more successful than Contraband.

CD allowed GNR to continue touring stadiums, while the same can't be said for Contraband. Who mostly booked theatres.

CD, definitely the bridge between the Appetite and Illusions Era,

to the Reunion Era.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, j axler said:

Hahah, trolling is ignoring the facts like you are doing.

Attempting to block CD from GNR success, while CD is a brilliant album  that has kept GNR afloat for many years. CD is far better, and much more successful than Contraband.

CD allowed GNR to continue touring stadiums, while the same can't be said for Contraband. Who mostly booked theatres.

CD, definitely the bridge between the Appetite and Illusions Era,

to the Reunion Era.

Nah.....

Trolling is starting a new account, making six posts, all of them deliberately aimed at trying to get a rise out of people by saying ludicrous things like the band is "growing leaps and bounds" and suggesting that the reason they are doing stadiums is because of an album that, when released, didn't sell very well and saw them not filling Arenas. 

Basically, it's bollocks aimed solely at annoying people. That's trolling. 

• Like 1