Have You Given Up On The Band?

Its just really sad that they cant do anything.  or should I say, they dont WANT to do anything.  Ozzie just released an album a few months ago, They just stated he has 1/2 of another NEW one on the way.  Cooper releasing his 345th album (feels like it, anway) in Feb.  So sick of the excuses.  Covid doesnt stop anyone from writing a song.  

• Like 2

Given up totally ? No, I haven’t and probably never will but I am done with the so called management team of this band. I wouldn’t let them look after my dog and he’s dead a year. Does fernando have any actual experience of doing the job he’s doing now prior to being with GNR ? At least del James has done it before and was around the band and LA scene. Btw del James is a massive wrestling fan which I found interesting. Anyway, I think team Brazil while initially may have been a good thing for axl, they most certainly have positions and influence now far beyond what their abilities warrant IMO.

• Like 1

Nope - not finished or given up. The lack of official material is excruciating and just plain daft but doesn’t stop me from listening to what we have and what the community continues to unearth.

I think realistically very few people thought we would get any kind of reunion and to me THAT was way more unlikely than the prospect of new music. So the fact that happened means I’m sure we will get new music.....we just have to dammed well wait. Fortunately I have other bands etc to listen to whilst I wait. 👍

I have reached the point where I would welcome new songs (not just recordings from 1999 with Slash and Duff overdubs) as a nice surprise.

GnR is now a money juggernaut, and even a few live shows (once we are all allowed out again) will bring in more cash than they could ever hope to bring in from new records.

But also, I no longer feel like there will be something missing from my life if GnR did not put out any new songs. (And I did feel that way during the wait for CD. Oh, to be young and carefree again).

Have I given up? No... Has my interest waned lately? Yes... Partly frustration at constant missed opportunities by the band to release something, while they had the world's attention. Even an update on possible Album, dvd, single, e.p even at this point, but everything goes silent and you feel they miss their chance. Are they going to tour(hopefully) in 21 with nothing to promote, seems strange to do so, but wouldn't be surprising. 

14 hours ago, IrishgunnerII said:

Given up totally ? No, I haven’t and probably never will but I am done with the so called management team of this band. I wouldn’t let them look after my dog and he’s dead a year. Does fernando have any actual experience of doing the job he’s doing now prior to being with GNR ? At least del James has done it before and was around the band and LA scene. Btw del James is a massive wrestling fan which I found interesting. Anyway, I think team Brazil while initially may have been a good thing for axl, they most certainly have positions and influence now far beyond what their abilities warrant IMO.

If Axl wanted top notch management with years of experience he'd hire it. IMO the reason he doesn't is because he'd be expected to do things he doesn't want to do on someone else's timescale. I suspect he's able to overlook the management shortcomings of TB because there is not much unwanted pressure exerted on him. I do kind of get why on a personal level but it sucks for a lot of fans who would prefer more conventional band output at this point. Ironically though the lack of convention is why most Axl fans became Axl fans in the first place. :lol:

• Like 3

I have a LONG time ago. I could care less if they release anything new or not. When I heard those instrumental leaks, I saw a lot of potential that was wasted. Who can you blame it on? I think we all know the red headed person who I think didn't give a shit either. To me, he is done for. He doesn't have the pipes as he once had and no amount of digital dickery do with fix it. Let the fools who want to hear Mickey Mouse sing pay those exorbitant prices to see the shit show live. I'd rather hear new shit from the hot as fuck Miku Hatsune doppelganger, Melissa, than Axl zero potential dickweed.

Edited by Jabberwocky
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, alfierose said:

Ironically though the lack of convention is why most Axl fans became Axl fans in the first place. :lol:

the lack of convention then was at least somewhat contained. Enough that Axl was able to be productive back when he didn't have absolute control of Gn'R and the music he has released as a part of a band was the reason most became fans no?

the way you put it you'd think whatever he's doing now is similar to what he has done back in the old days which is not the case imo.

playing basically the same show for decades with mostly not releasing anything is not very rock n' roll is it now.

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 2

On 12/25/2020 at 3:39 AM, James Bond said:

Success doesn't necessarily equal quality. Since 2017, after the initial reunion buzz had worn off, it's been hard for me to enjoy this soulless version of the band. Axl sounds worse by the day, the rest of the band look bored as fuck, management (and I use that term loosely) is a complete joke, and we are seemingly no closer to a new album. There's always an excuse for how little this band can function.

"It's not the right time. We're looking at different ways. Music is consumed differently these days. There's a pandemic."

It's as bad as it was from 2011-2014 except now Slash and Duff are there to be dragged down as well. I'd be embarrassed to show anybody those selects (except maybe the Houston/Mexico one). Those definitely sound like a trainwreck to me - how the mighty have fallen. The singer just doesn't care and his behaviour is enabled by the overgrown toddler that's been put in charge. Slash and Duff probably feel an obligation because it's their band too. Otherwise, I doubt they'd be sticking around again. The payday is probably nice for what little effort is required.

That's just my opinion, but that's certainly how I feel.

I agree with this.

On 12/25/2020 at 4:22 AM, Sydney Fan said:

Slash and Duff probably feel an obligation because it's their band too. 

👆 This is how i see it to. I feel duff and slash, care more about whatever legacy is left especially from the 87 to 93 era.

From Slashs first solo effort in 2010, i feel he's the only one from the original lineup that still carries the old school GNR torch.

Separate topic, but Duff added Dust N Bones when touring with Shooter Jennings. Why didnt they add that to the GNR NITL setlist?.

He's played Dust N Bones with Loaded pre-reunion too, along with So Fine. And yeah, anytime Slash has played GnR songs with SMKC it's always sounded like old classic GnR, and a lot better than what we have now. That's one of the things that made me a big Slash solo/SMKC fan, that they could nail those songs without sounding like a tribute band (like trying to sound like Axl).

On 12/26/2020 at 4:51 AM, Sisyphus said:

The level of their incompetence truly is staggering. From the quality of Axl's performance to their ridiculous social media interaction, lack of new music, disrespect to the hardcore fanbase and total secrecy. It's just a big :vomit:

Nevertheless they remain one of the most popular bands in the world, selling out huge venues and making a ton of dough. Just goes to show how amazing this band used to be and the impact it had. The nostalgia is so strong that they can go through the motions for the rest of their careers. 

100%. The management has been a big turn off, especially once the video takedowns happened.

On 12/26/2020 at 5:24 PM, fabrph5 said:

Its just really sad that they cant do anything.  or should I say, they dont WANT to do anything.  Ozzie just released an album a few months ago, They just stated he has 1/2 of another NEW one on the way.  Cooper releasing his 345th album (feels like it, anway) in Feb.  So sick of the excuses.  Covid doesnt stop anyone from writing a song.  

Not only did Ozzy release a record he released a killer record in my book. Maybe his best since Ozzmosis. Same goes for Marilyn Manson. I wouldn't want to rate Manson's We Are Chaos because I love all of his work but I definitely think it's great. I haven't listened to AC/DC new record but the reviews are pretty good. These bands with 10+ or 15+ albums in their discography have had their fair share of difficulties lately and yet they still produce great music in this turbulent and uncertain times. Because they're musicians. Despite his health problems Ozzy's been extremely active in the studio. Manson hasn't had a stable band in years yet he produced great stuff with Tyler Bates and now Shooter Jennings. AC/DC were on the verge of a break-up but have risen from the ashes like a boss. 

But poor GN'R can't decide "which medium they should gravitate to". :jerkoff:

Edited by Sisyphus
  • Like 3

I wouldn’t say given up completely.But I have been there done that if you will.I won’t go see them live as I have seen them 5 times during their AFD/uyi days and now 4 times since they got back together.Unless theirs a new album of all original material I just don’t see a reason to really pay much attention.Theirs a ton of other bands who still try and put out new music and then play live shows whereas Guns continue to rest on their laurels from 3 decades ago.I hardly ever if ever still listen to them and when their songs come on the radio or on my Spotify playlists if I’m out for a jog I’ll either turn the station or forward the playlist.They were my favorite band for awhile and the shows over the last few years were fun and a couple of them were actually what I would call great shows but I’ve had my fill and then some 

• Like 1

If GNR aren't going to release a new album, or at least do a proper "1987-1993 Golden Era" reunion tour with Izzy/Steven/Matt/Gilby, then they should just call it a career. I would be happy if modern day GNR ceased to exist and the principle members, A/S/D, authorized the release of UNEDITED  live recordings from the golden era to (marginally) replace the touring revenue stream...

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

How anyone can defend them at this point in time is quite beyond me. 
there is a multiple valid reasons for this fan base to have the shits with the band. 

the no album issue is just the icing on the cake. But as others have explained, they’ve basically stuck their middle finger up at the hardcore fans (not just this year) but for years in relation to the dialogue or lack there of with this section of the fan base. You only have to look at Fernandos posts on here previously that shows his disdain for us and you can bet your last dollar that attitude filters through to axl himself. Let’s be honest, TB and axl are well aware of the feelings of the hardcore fans and have been for years, and what have they actually done to fix it??? Nothing. 
how anyone could be shocked at this shit show in 2020 (now 2021) is also beyond me. Children’s books and covid t shirt pretty much sums up Fernando, beta, and even the big 3. They’ve basically proven what they are over a long period of time now and that’s shitty money hungry as swipes who don’t need to give a shit anymore so they don’t. 
anyone who thinks 2021 will be any different.. could you please provide whatever you are smoking cause I’d like some 🤣

this band has pissed so many great opportunities away and will continue to do so. Go invest some time in other great bands who’ve got content out to watch or listen too, I’ve been getting into parkway drive recently and their history of making it in the business has been excellent to delve into. 

• Like 2

I have given up on them every being great or even very good again.. Half of the lineup does nothing for me and that is being nice.. That includes Axl.. He was still good enough in 2016 but that was already a long time ago.. I have no interest in any new music from this lineup and current day Axl.. I am still here in hopes they do something impressive... anything.. Release some awesome Blu Ray from the classic lineup or something.. I am also still a big fan of Slash and will continue to go see the band live as long as he is in the mix I will always enjoy seeing him play those classic songs live..  Even Slash seems to play better with his solo band and performances like he had the other night with Post Malone. I think they do a good job with the song selection and while The NITL selects expose how bad they generally are live, it is still a good live experience when you are there.

• Like 2

Best case, the next album will be a probably once great CD2, diluted with Slash contributions replacing some (hopefully not all) of the Bucket and Robin's parts.

I mean... I like Slash, but does anyone really think he would take an existing Robin and Bucket solo and make it better?

58 minutes ago, Sweersa said:

Best case, the next album will be a probably once great CD2, diluted with Slash contributions replacing some (hopefully not all) of the Bucket and Robin's parts.

I mean... I like Slash, but does anyone really think he would take an existing Robin and Bucket solo and make it better?

Absolutely impossible in my view. If a new record is released (and we all know that a a BIIIIIG damn IF) comprised of older tracks originally performed by Bucket and Robin then I only hope the originals leak at some point 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, gavgnr said:

Absolutely impossible in my view. If a new record is released (and we all know that a a BIIIIIG damn IF) comprised of older tracks originally performed by Bucket and Robin then I only hope the originals leak at some point 

Me too, or best case is they re-release CD with a 2-3 disc box set with tracks by the lineup of that era. 

My best guess is the next album will be comprised of mostly CD-era tracks with some Slash and Duff parts added. I would think they would keep some of the Bucket and Robin stuff, and hopefully all of Brain's drums. Haha

• Like 1