John sykes auditioned for gnr in 2009

https://blabbermouth.net/news/john-sykes-auditioned-for-guns-n-roses-in-2009-it-was-incredible-says-richard-fortus/

In what world does John Sykes have to audition and DJ gets the job if he just turned up?? For the love of god. 

Remember when Ashba was announced, now just go back in time and imagine Sykes was announced instead! Thst would have been incredible news!

Although, we'd never have all that sweet Ashba swag if Sykes got the gig.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

God, I really hate Fortus. He's just annoying asf. A strange kind of musician, content to play other people's music forever without any desire to create a lick of original music. Most session musicians at least get a bit creative in studio settings, but Fortus is really just a very seasoned and accomplished pub band musician got lucky.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

59 minutes ago, ChineseDemocracy2004 said:

I wonder how Axl would have sounded on Cold Sweat in 2009.

Imagine the songs Sykes and Axl could have wrote on and never released!! 🤣

That is one thing I'll say, they are perfect for each other both always delaying the release of their album, problems with managers, problems with band members, problems with labels... all the while they have music sitting in their vaults for years and years. John's finally releasing his this year, let's see if the other one does anything! 

I would love to hear that audition! John Sykes ripping through Nightrain or whatever they played🤤 

2 minutes ago, The Matinator said:

Remember that this is the same world where Brian May solos were cut in favor of Bumblefoot, so all & all this isn’t really surprising.

Haven't heard Brians solo in years! It is crazy that they replaced it🤣 I do like Bumbles solo on the album though. Brian said played on more material too, I guess there's no way we'll be hearing that though!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Towelie said:

Most session musicians at least get a bit creative in studio settings, but Fortus is really just a very seasoned and accomplished pub band musician got lucky.

Doesn't that describe most successful or notable guitarists?

From a technical standpoint, he has been the best guitarist in Guns since Bumble's departure from the band. He even plays some of Bucket's parts very well.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sweersa said:

Doesn't that describe most successful or notable guitarists?

From a technical standpoint, he has been the best guitarist in Guns since Bumble's departure from the band. He even plays some of Bucket's parts very well.

I think he's just ruffled some feathers with some needlessly catty remarks. There's no doubt he's a great player, but I think the reunion success has gave him a bit of an ego... maybe not? but that's how he's coming off.

• Like 2

Axl likely went with Ashba because of Sixx AM being successful.  Maybe he thought Ashba would somehow attract a younger audience to be interested in GNR too.  :P

John Sykes is great, but wouldn't really fit with Axl's vision of GNR being hip and cool without granddad's populating the stage.

9 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

I think he's just ruffled some feathers with some needlessly catty remarks. There's no doubt he's a great player, but I think the reunion success has gave him a bit of an ego... maybe not? but that's how he's coming off.

Could be, he doesn't seem very friendly when he talks about Bumble. Tommy sounds like the biggest ass from the CD era.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Gackt said:

Axl likely went with Ashba because of Sixx AM being successful.  Maybe he thought Ashba would somehow attract a younger audience to be interested in GNR too.  :P

John Sykes is great, but wouldn't really fit with Axl's vision of GNR being hip and cool without granddad's populating the stage.

I'd say you're right about the age thing! Most singers want to surround themselves with young blood. Sykes would have definitely been the better fit musically, he's even into the more experimental loops and industrial stuff! and he's a great singer! Oh.... what could have been. 

I'd say Sykes was more expensive too given that he actually did high profile things unlike the majority of the other guys in the band. You can't compare Ashba and Sixx A.M to Whitesnakes 1987 for example! There's minor success and then there's global!

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Sweersa said:

Could be, he doesn't seem very friendly when he talks about Bumble. Tommy sounds like the biggest ass from the CD era.

Tommy seems like a major douche, yeah. I have a feeling Bucket might’ve stuck around, if it wasn’t for him.

On topic: This sounds like it could’ve been cool! But nevertheless, to the general public, Slash is the only lead guitarist that belongs in GnR.

Edited by rocknroll41
  • Like 3

I just thought of something:

Isnt Axl a massive Thin Lizzy fan?

if that’s the case, why did Tommy think that Axl wouldn’t be into John Sykes auditioning?

Theory time: Tommy was worried about bringing someone into the band whom Axl would listen to more than him.

Edited by rocknroll41
  • Like 1
  • Wow 1

7 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

Tommy seems like a major douche, yeah. I have a feeling Bucket might’ve stuck around, if it wasn’t for him.

On topic: This sounds like it could’ve been cool! But nevertheless, to the general public, Slash is the only lead guitarist that belongs in GnR.

Yeah, there really was no replacing Slash! but a guy like Sykes at least has that rock star charisma, like he's not some underground darling.

1 minute ago, rocknroll41 said:

if that’s the case, why did Tommy think that Axl wouldn’t be into John Sykes auditioning?

Theory time: Tommy was worried about bringing someone into the band whom Axl would listen to more than him.

Interesting, but Richard did say Tommy came around once he heard him in the room.

And once more we hear about Stinson being an ass. Never liked the douche from the getgo. He's the one who shouldn't have been in the band.

6 hours ago, rocknroll41 said:

Because he's a douche!

Edited by PatrickS77
  • Like 1

Axl probably woulda thought Sykes was too tied to the 80's. So he swerved the GNR car and slammed into the Ashba christmas tree. The above song was inspired by said tragic events.

Edited by Ant
  • Like 2