John sykes auditioned for gnr in 2009

8 hours ago, Sweersa said:

Could be, he doesn't seem very friendly when he talks about Bumble. Tommy sounds like the biggest ass from the CD era.

they all kind of sound like cliquey bitches grasping their meal ticket 

who doesn't love the US version of Slide It In (... I'm sure a lot of people, haha... but I like it for Sykes). 

and how huge does he sound on blue murder

Edited by Ant
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, jamillos said:

"John's reputation does precede him."

What is this about, anyone? Don't know anything about the guy. Drugs? Violence? 

Well he's been in and out of a lot of bands, I suppose  some could say that suggests he's not the easiest guy to work with? 

As for drugs, I know he did them but I don't think it was to great excess like Slash. It's hard to find footage of Sykes not playing really well, so I'd say if he was partying it was after the show.

Coverdale suggested that he fired Sykes because Sykes was making moves to have more control in WS. When you read about it, that doesn't really stack up. 

End of the day the guy has written and co wrote some great music so even if he was hard to handle it would almost be worth it!

26 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

Well he's been in and out of a lot of bands, I suppose  some could say that suggests he's not the easiest guy to work with? 

As for drugs, I know he did them but I don't think it was to great excess like Slash. It's hard to find footage of Sykes not playing really well, so I'd say if he was partying it was after the show.

Coverdale suggested that he fired Sykes because Sykes was making moves to have more control in WS. When you read about it, that doesn't really stack up. 

End of the day the guy has written and co wrote some great music so even if he was hard to handle it would almost be worth it!

Ok, thanks. How was DJ chosen over this guy I won't understand, but then again, I'm not Axl. 

• GNFNR 1

10 hours ago, Ant said:

who doesn't love the US version of Slide It In (... I'm sure a lot of people, haha... but I like it for Sykes). 

Great album. I'm not so sure the lyrics to "Sex Child" have stood the test of time though 😳

• Like 1

Love John Sykes with Whitesnake and as a solo artist.

I doubt he and Axl would have gotten along. John's ego was big and Axl was the controller of GNR. I know John and David never got along that's why he left WS.

When you see the pictures and posters of GNR in the beginning, you just see and know those members were meant to be.

10 hours ago, Ant said:

I liked BM. They had some cool songs and the videos were awesome too.

I think my mom has this album. lol I have to say John was very sexy back in the day.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Gackt said:

Axl likely went with Ashba because of Sixx AM being successful.  Maybe he thought Ashba would somehow attract a younger audience to be interested in GNR too.  :P

John Sykes is great, but wouldn't really fit with Axl's vision of GNR being hip and cool without granddad's populating the stage.

Yeah I think this is exactly it - I thinK Axl saw Ashba as being more of the "next gen" of RN'R (:vomit:) whereas Sykes was very much more traditional. Incredible that someone like Sykes would even have to audition to be honest!

On 1/30/2021 at 3:16 PM, Tom2112 said:

https://blabbermouth.net/news/john-sykes-auditioned-for-guns-n-roses-in-2009-it-was-incredible-says-richard-fortus/

In what world does John Sykes have to audition and DJ gets the job if he just turned up?? For the love of god. 

Remember when Ashba was announced, now just go back in time and imagine Sykes was announced instead! Thst would have been incredible news!

Although, we'd never have all that sweet Ashba swag if Sykes got the gig.

On 1/30/2021 at 5:47 PM, Gackt said:

Axl likely went with Ashba because of Sixx AM being successful.  Maybe he thought Ashba would somehow attract a younger audience to be interested in GNR too.  :P

John Sykes is great, but wouldn't really fit with Axl's vision of GNR being hip and cool without granddad's populating the stage.

This exactly. 

6 hours ago, jamillos said:

Ok, thanks. How was DJ chosen over this guy I won't understand, but then again, I'm not Axl. 

The real question why Axl continued to push the 3 guitar assault after Bucket quit. Especially after Robin quit. Bumble and Fortus would have been just fine. I never heard anything on CD that made 3 guitarist necessary. 

Ashba was coming off hot from Sixx AM and the Crue record. The issue was that GNR couldn’t release an album. You were left with Ashba only showcasing himself as live player in that band. When comparing him to Fortus and Bumble in that setting, it’s easy to come up short there 

15 hours ago, Sweersa said:

I enjoyed the 2011 and 2012 lineup more than the 2016 lineup when I saw them live.

I wonder how they will sound in 2021 (or whenever they tour again)

If it was a choice between going to see the 2012 band or 2016 I'd choose the 2012 band. I know some people might scratch their head at that, but I preferred the power of 3 gtrs and the over-all feel when they played the songs. Tempos were slower and more steady, and that's a big thing for me! certain songs sound great a little faster  or pushed than the studio, others sound crap. 

Obviously Axl was still hit and miss, and Ashba was in the band! but when I saw them I was pretty pleased! I still though there was too many solo spots though... Ideal situation would have been one big solo spot for all 3 gtr players, and obviously Tommy plays Motivation after because that song was a highlight when I saw them! Attitude or Motivation? Motivation every time!

1 minute ago, Tom2112 said:

If it was a choice between going to see the 2012 band or 2016 I'd choose the 2012 band. I know some people might scratch their head at that, but I preferred the power of 3 gtrs and the over-all feel when they played the songs. Tempos were slower and more steady, and that's a big thing for me! certain songs sound great a little faster  or pushed than the studio, others sound crap. 

Obviously Axl was still hit and miss, and Ashba was in the band! but when I saw them I was pretty pleased! I still though there was too many solo spots though... Ideal situation would have been one big solo spot for all 3 gtr players, and obviously Tommy plays Motivation after because that song was a highlight when I saw them! Attitude or Motivation? Motivation every time!

I loved the live version of Shacker's Revenge back then, so much power. It was more intense than the studio version with Axl's screaming vocals. Back then I didn't realize all of the hate for DJ, I also like Sixx: A.M. and DJ seems to play the CD parts better than Slash does, This I Love being the prime example. I wish they could add Shacker's back in the setlist, I think Richard could handle the Bucket/Bumble parts.