VMA 2002 Rehearsals

On 5/13/2021 at 4:28 PM, Gordon Comstock said:

Was it during the Eddie Trunk radio interview that Axl gave an explanation for the VMA performance? He said something like, he was a bit late (shocking!) so he literally had to run from his trailer to the stage, which is why he was out of breath.

As he was running to the stage, some guy yelled "there goes Kid Rock!" :lol:

Based on his interview at the '06 VMAs I always thought it was anxiety that caused him to feel overwhelmed/overextend himself/lose his breath. 

On 5/10/2021 at 11:59 AM, GnR Chris said:

Robin Finck and Tommy Stinson were both in the band at this time. To say they've never written much of anything is preposterous.

Pretty sure Trent was the creative force behind NIN, and I can't think of much Stinson did before GNR that compares to the success of Appetite. Care to enlighten me? I'm fine with being wrong here, but when I think of Robin Finck and Tommy Stinson, I don't think "great song writers". Because if they were great song writers, able to write songs as endearing as SCOM, Welcome to the Jungle and Paradise City, wouldn't Chinese Democracy have turned out differently? I mean, those guys did have a billion years to craft songs, right?

Edited by Nintari

On 5/14/2021 at 5:56 PM, BangoSkank said:

Based on his interview at the '06 VMAs I always thought it was anxiety that caused him to feel overwhelmed/overextend himself/lose his breath. 

I mean, he sang the song basically the same way in 01-02 lol... yeah he was out of breath on MTV but if he had his 88 or 92 voice it would’ve been an all timer. 

5 hours ago, Underhardy said:

I mean, he sang the song basically the same way in 01-02 lol... yeah he was out of breath on MTV but if he had his 88 or 92 voice it would’ve been an all timer. 

Yeah, but I don't recall him getting winded like that at any show.

12 minutes ago, BangoSkank said:

Yeah, but I don't recall him getting winded like that at any show.

Singing in that style, no rasp more so him talk singing through a lot of lines make it sound so much more noticeable when he’s gasping in between lines haha. No, 2002 shows he was on point from a stamina stand point. Thick daddy Axl shape 

• Thanks 1

On 5/10/2021 at 3:09 AM, DefinitelyInThisLifetime said:

Technically speaking. Technically and based on talent alone, that was the best incarnation of the band. Shame Axl gassed himself to fuck. 

I always call it his “Ultimate Warrior” performance. Amazing energy and entrance and then ten minutes of being carried by others to a passable performance.

Love Ultimate Warrior, from Indiana like Axl!

Of course Axl tells of running late for the 2002 VMAs, so he ran down the street to Radio City Music Hall!

That is a true rock star!

On 5/13/2021 at 4:28 PM, Gordon Comstock said:

Was it during the Eddie Trunk radio interview that Axl gave an explanation for the VMA performance? He said something like, he was a bit late (shocking!) so he literally had to run from his trailer to the stage, which is why he was out of breath.

As he was running to the stage, some guy yelled "there goes Kid Rock!" :lol:

Heard this story.  Believe he was stuck in NYC traffic, so ran down the streets to the venue?

Definitely remember the part about Kid Rock!

• Like 1

On 5/15/2021 at 2:31 AM, Nintari said:

Pretty sure Trent was the creative force behind NIN, and I can't think of much Stinson did before GNR that compares to the success of Appetite. Care to enlighten me? I'm fine with being wrong here, but when I think of Robin Finck and Tommy Stinson, I don't think "great song writers". Because if they were great song writers, able to write songs as endearing as SCOM, Welcome to the Jungle and Paradise City, wouldn't Chinese Democracy have turned out differently? I mean, those guys did have a billion years to craft songs, right?

Tommy was part of the Replacements, one of the most beloved bands of their time, even Duff's talked about their influence on him

On 5/15/2021 at 12:56 AM, BangoSkank said:

Ax left leaving for the venue for too long, again. Must've been a Kodak moment when he decided to dive out of the car and get chased by first his handlers and then venue security.

So, he runs / jogs / huffs for a few blocks, gets in, gets mic'ed up... I doubt there was any time for him to let it all sink in, that here he is, debuting his new lineup. Let alone voice warm-up...

The same routine of avoidance & procrastination as it was with the concerts, only there he could let them wait some more after showing up to the venue. Nerves more than stamina, really.

5 hours ago, mr-fukaji said:

Tommy was part of the Replacements, one of the most beloved bands of their time, even Duff's talked about their influence on him

Yes, I know. But Westerberg was the main song writer. And even then, how big did they get? I didn't even know who that band was until Tommy joined up with Axl.

I'm not trying to be mean here or degrade anyone. But I just think it's silly that I'm still seeing (nearly 20 years later) the whole " they were more talented" thing with regards to Axl's version of GNR when that version (and its members) never released anything, ever, even remotely as beloved as the original band's music. If they were more talented, they would have released music on par with the original band because the most important aspect of talent is always going to be how good a song writer are you? Playing skills are great and all, but if you can't write songs that the majority of people in this world want to hear, you're basically just a really good session player.

Edited by Nintari
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, denin said:

Ax left leaving for the venue for too long, again. Must've been a Kodak moment when he decided to dive out of the car and get chased by first his handlers and then venue security.

So, he runs / jogs / huffs for a few blocks, gets in, gets mic'ed up... I doubt there was any time for him to let it all sink in, that here he is, debuting his new lineup. Let alone voice warm-up...

The same routine of avoidance & procrastination as it was with the concerts, only there he could let them wait some more after showing up to the venue. Nerves more than stamina, really.

Good point, didn't even consider that he was running there. 

12 minutes ago, BangoSkank said:

Good point, didn't even consider that he was running there. 

Is that where they didn't let Axl in at first because they didn't think it was really him? I've heard of that happening at least once. 

16 hours ago, Nintari said:

Yes, I know. But Westerberg was the main song writer. And even then, how big did they get? I didn't even know who that band was until Tommy joined up with Axl.

I'm not trying to be mean here or degrade anyone. But I just think it's silly that I'm still seeing (nearly 20 years later) the whole " they were more talented" thing with regards to Axl's version of GNR when that version (and its members) never released anything, ever, even remotely as beloved as the original band's music. If they were more talented, they would have released music on par with the original band because the most important aspect of talent is always going to be how good a song writer are you? Playing skills are great and all, but if you can't write songs that the majority of people in this world want to hear, you're basically just a really good session player.

The Replacements could have been one of those 'alternative'/college rock bands that broke into the mainstream, like REM. Except, they pretty much blew every chance they had to breakthrough.

Oh well, their unprofessionalism was part of their charm. As it is, today they seem to be a cult band.

Tommy's solo songs are good, loose stones/faces type rock, but with a punk edge. I wouldn't say he is an elite songwriter, but he is at least on par with, I don't know, Duff.

The rest of the CD era lineup? Good players, but they had hardly any notable songwriting credits between them. (In or outside of GnR).

1 hour ago, mystery said:

I've always been interested in how Axl went from looking and sounding good at the December 2001 shows to looking completely different and sounding a bit worse a mere 8 months later. What was he doing between then?

Oh I dunno... plastic surgery, botox, hair extensions and extreme diets?! I mean there is no getting away from it... the dude that re-emerged in 2002 looked fuck all like the guy the year prior let alone the guy 10 years prior.

Edited by 19AT5
  • Like 1

On 5/18/2021 at 11:58 PM, mystery said:

I've always been interested in how Axl went from looking and sounding good at the December 2001 shows to looking completely different and sounding a bit worse a mere 8 months later. What was he doing between then?

His self-image had apparently become an issue. I think Gene Kirkland photographed HOB '01, and Robert John was brought in to shoot the Joint shows a year later. Both long-standing crew members, Axl felt they were now doing it wrong. He complained about the stage lighting, and how unflattering his looks turned out to be. Fired both and went to George Chin, who'd also been around the band a long time. George kept the job for the '02 & '06 tours, at least.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, denin said:

His self-image had apparently become an issue. I think Gene Kirkland photographed HOB '01, and Robert John was brought in to shoot the Joint shows a year later. Both long-standing crew members, Axl felt they were now doing it wrong. He complained about the stage lighting, and how unflattering his looks turned out to be. Fired both and went to George Chin, who'd also been around the band a long time. George kept the job for the '02 & '06 tours, at least.

Interesting. I believe you or maybe someone else mentioned that he had a bad hair job in January of 02. Looking up that time period, he also fired a lot of his management in February and then the band booked the summer shows around April/May. 

I remember hearing how Axl wanted photos back from Robert John. Don't know what Axl was on about. That was the best he looked post 90s. The braid era was a huge step down. He should've done a Bret Michaels and just wore a wig. Don't think there's any shame in it. He could've distinguished onstage Axl with long hair and private Axl with whatever the state his hair was. It's not like people see him much when he's not performing. 

Jan '09 is when I think he ditched the braids for good. Do keep up ;)

Ax does not respond well to people criticizing his looks. I remember a forum post about him sweating a lot on stage, judging by pics. Ax read it too, and actually responded, saying how he works hard, etc. It was one thing among many that he felt needed rectifying, his perspiration.

Same as the more recent Streisand moment, when he wanted those FatAxl pics to be taken down by Google image search, I believe. When was the last time he performed without a shirt? RIR3. People called him fat even then, so he started burying himself in those stupid jerseys on stage.

• Like 1

Thanks. I mean he definitely had to have something similar done in 02. Having braids was somehow a better option in his mind than what he had in 01 which looked passable even if it was a wig or whatever.

Something must have been messed up after the 01 shows. Then again, his hair was lightly braided even then. I wonder if Axl had problems with his appearance during the UYI era? Just seemed like everything went to hell around 96.

36 minutes ago, mystery said:

Thanks. I mean he definitely had to have something similar done in 02. Having braids was somehow a better option in his mind than what he had in 01 which looked passable even if it was a wig or whatever.

Something must have been messed up after the 01 shows. Then again, his hair was lightly braided even then. I wonder if Axl had problems with his appearance during the UYI era? Just seemed like everything went to hell around 96.

His hair was lightly braided only for 31st show. It was in “normal” looking for 29th. 
About sounding good for these shows, there’s no bootlegs avaliable as far i’m concerned.

1 minute ago, ChrisMaciel said:

His hair was lightly braided only for 31st show. It was in “normal” looking for 29th. 
About sounding good for these shows, there’s no bootlegs avaliable as far i’m concerned.

I've read accounts of people who were there that said he sounded good. Those 2 shows in some form are holy grails at this point. Do bootlegs even exist? It would be interesting to hear since according to Axl those shows were ones he truly wanted to do. That's in comparison to the 2 shows at the beginning of 01.

• Like 1