VMA 2002 Rehearsals

2 hours ago, YOUCOULDBEMINE. said:

I never understood the fascination with these rehearsals. The live performance itself was horrible apart from Axl’s scream in WTTJ, Madagascar was OK for 2002’s standard I guess.

Ditto. Folks creaming their pants about a rehearsal tape from a disastrous performance... WTF?!

4 minutes ago, Sweersa said:

Amazing how bad of a performance it is, but with technically the most talented lineup GN'R ever had. 

Problem is... GNR ain't all that technical a band. The material is awesome but it's hardly Dream Theatre or Tool. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, 19AT5 said:

Ditto. Folks creaming their pants about a rehearsal tape from a disastrous performance... WTF?!

Problem is... GNR ain't all that technical a band. The material is awesome but it's hardly Dream Theatre or Tool. 

Definitely not on the DT level of proficiency, thank god! 

I think it's the whole thing that the rehearsal was supposed to have gone well? I'd watch it if it was available but I wouldn't go out of my way to find it. The official performance is a trainwreck, but I kinda feel nostalgic watching it. 

7 hours ago, YOUCOULDBEMINE. said:

I never understood the fascination with these rehearsals.

Anyone hoarding unreleased stuff overplayed their hand a long, LONG time ago. 

No one actually cares about the VMA rehearsals, let alone pay the ridiculous prices that were being thrown around years ago. 

Most GN'R fans wouldn't even bother watching the VMA rehearsals if they ever leaked. So there's no way anyone is going to pay anything for them. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, YOUCOULDBEMINE. said:

I never understood the fascination with these rehearsals. The live performance itself was horrible apart from Axl’s scream in WTTJ, Madagascar was OK for 2002’s standard I guess.

I think its more of a fascination with the mystique around Axl at that time or as Tom said for nostalgia. The footage is indeed ultimately pointless though.  

• Like 1

I can certainly say that this is the lowest I’ve ever seen demand/interest in gnr leaks. Speaking for myself when the locker leaks happened it was exciting but it also proved true of what many people around Axl during that time had said- “lots of instrumentals, very few songs with melodies, even less with full vocals”

I think Axl spoke the truth to zakk Wylde when he told him he had no inspiration for songs considering all he had been dealing with were lawyers and lawsuits (in the mid 90s). 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, ronartest2004 said:

I can certainly say that this is the lowest I’ve ever seen demand/interest in gnr leaks. Speaking for myself when the locker leaks happened it was exciting but it also proved true of what many people around Axl during that time had said- “lots of instrumentals, very few songs with melodies, even less with full vocals”

I think Axl spoke the truth to zakk Wylde when he told him he had no inspiration for songs considering all he had been dealing with were lawyers and lawsuits (in the mid 90s). 

I wouldn’t assume some of those instrumentals aren’t in a vault with vocals. Remember, most of those were from 1999/2000. Axl was in the studio at least around 2006 I believe. I’m not hopeful that there is anything out there but you never know

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, RussTCB said:

Anyone hoarding unreleased stuff overplayed their hand a long, LONG time ago. 

No one actually cares about the VMA rehearsals, let alone pay the ridiculous prices that were being thrown around years ago. 

Most GN'R fans wouldn't even bother watching the VMA rehearsals if they ever leaked. So there's no way anyone is going to pay anything for them. 

Exactly, the prices always shocked me. 

I keep hoping people have A+ quality bootlegs or soundboards from either the 80’s, early 90’s or ‘06-‘10. There’s a few shows I’d sell my organs for :lol:

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ryanf23 said:

I wouldn’t assume some of those instrumentals aren’t in a vault with vocals. Remember, most of those were from 1999/2000. Axl was in the studio at least around 2006 I believe. I’m not hopeful that there is anything out there but you never know

I would be more hopeful if it weren’t for so many people would had worked with Axl hadn’t all been quoted saying there are very few songs with vocals. And lots of ex-members of the group have all vaguely mentioned that they (meaning the band) had recorded lots of instrumentals. Obviously we all assume they have gag orders written into their contracts so they can’t come out and say “we did a ton of music but Axl didn’t do vocals”

Having said that they all have certainly beat around the bush about it.

• Like 1

The 2002 VMAs were near 20 years ago by now, so a rehearsal from a 20 year old performance that in itself is cringe worthy, isn't something that in 2021 I think is going to be in very high demand lol

Edited by WhazUp

It was cool because of the whole mystery shrouding the band back then, and it still would have been cool to have during the NuGuns era, but as someone has said here, the hoarders have hoarded it for too long, and the whole thing has lost a major portion of its value. It would still be nice to have this footage, but paying for it? Meh. Fuck em. 

On 5/8/2021 at 2:33 PM, Sweersa said:

Amazing how bad of a performance it is, but with technically the most talented lineup GN'R ever had. 

I'm guessing you put little stock in the whole composition side of talent. Because aside from Buckethead, no one (outside of Axl, of course) in that 2002 band had written much of anything worth dick. Slash, Izzy, Duff and Steven wrote Appetite for crying out loud. lol

Technically speaking. Technically and based on talent alone, that was the best incarnation of the band. Shame Axl gassed himself to fuck. 

I always call it his “Ultimate Warrior” performance. Amazing energy and entrance and then ten minutes of being carried by others to a passable performance.

• GNFNR 2

5 minutes ago, DefinitelyInThisLifetime said:

I always call it his “Ultimate Warrior” performance. Amazing energy and entrance and then ten minutes of being carried by others to a passable performance.

Stinson in the Rick Rude role?

• GNFNR 2
  • Haha 1

55 minutes ago, Nintari said:

I'm guessing you put little stock in the whole composition side of talent. Because aside from Buckethead, no one (outside of Axl, of course) in that 2002 band had written much of anything worth dick. Slash, Izzy, Duff and Steven wrote Appetite for crying out loud. lol

Appetite for crying out loud? That's a new one!!

9 hours ago, Nintari said:

Robin Finck and Tommy Stinson were both in the band at this time. To say they've never written much of anything is preposterous.

• Like 1

The unfortunate thing I’ve discovered about most leaks (even those other than gnr leaks) are that typically the little clip you hear is the best part of the song, or the mystery around the song before it leaks is better than the actual song.

maybe my expectations are high, but that seems to be the case for me.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, GnR Chris said:

Robin Finck and Tommy Stinson were both in the band at this time. To say they've never written much of anything is preposterous.

Robin was just a touring/studio session player for Trent who wrote pretty much everything. Not sure how much input tommy had on the replacements though. Never liked their band.

What have either done after their CD periods? Not much other than tour.

I do remember at one time Robin was supposed to do a solo record but that idea must of been shelved.

19 hours ago, vloors said:

Robin was just a touring/studio session player for Trent who wrote pretty much everything. Not sure how much input tommy had on the replacements though. Never liked their band.

What have either done after their CD periods? Not much other than tour.

I do remember at one time Robin was supposed to do a solo record but that idea must of been shelved.

Robin wrote Better. Seeing how that's one of the, if not best tracks on the album, that is something.

• Like 2