Alec Baldwin Accidentally Shoots His Director, Kills The Director of Photography on Set

downzy

https://www.thedailybeast.com/alec-baldwin-film-rust-stunt-gun-misfire-kills-crew-member-wounds-another?ref=home

I still don’t know how, with everything that happened with Brandon Lee in the Crow, this could happen again.

Maybe not aim and pull the trigger at anyone who isn’t in a scene?  Tragic and mind blowing.

I hope for Baldwin’s sake he and/or the production have good insurance. 

What a horrible accident. I feel for those involved.

I doubt that he just randomly shot at those people for fun. Baldwin, even though he had his darker moments, seems like a good dude. Can't imagine he'd just point a gun at people and pull the trigger "for fun".

While I don't know anything at all about what happened, my guess is that it was for a camera shot where the camera is right in front of the gun.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rocknroll41 said:

Apparently there were two live rounds that a crew member “forgot” to remove. Same as the Brandon Lee situation from all those years ago.

Why would there ever be live rounds in a prop gun in the first place?

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Dazey said:

Why would there ever be live rounds in a prop gun in the first place?

My understanding is that they use real guns to make it more realistic but remove the live rounds before hand and make sure it’s all just blanks.

In Brandon Lee’s case apparently a real bullet got jammed somewhere in the barrel and went unnoticed and then finally got fired with one of the blanks.

Edited by rocknroll41

1 hour ago, SoulMonster said:

Yeah, and why "remove"? Everything doesn't have to be some sinister conspiracy.

My mistake. Apparently in Lee’s case it was an old live round that got jammed in the barrel and went unnoticed and then finally fired later with one of the blanks. I’m not an expert in how that all works tho.

13 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

My understanding is that the use real guns to make it more realistic but remove the live rounds before hand and make sure it’s all just blanks.

In Brandon Lee’s case apparently a real bullet got jammed somewhere in the barrel and went unnoticed and then finally got fired with one of the blanks.

Yeah but my point is that even real guns don't come from the gun store loaded with ammo. As long as they were bought for use as movie props then why would there ever have been live rounds in them in the first place?

10 minutes ago, downzy said:

I've read the gun had blanks, not live rounds.

Even still, why was Baldwin aiming in the direction of the crew?  Was it part of a scene or was it carelessness on his part?

All I can surmise is that the crew were positioned in the firing line to get a shot from that direction on the assumption that it was safe to do so.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Dazey said:

Yeah but my point is that even real guns don't come from the gun store loaded with ammo. As long as they were bought for use as movie props then why would there ever have been live rounds in them in the first place?

All I can surmise is that the crew were positioned in the firing line to get a shot from that direction on the assumption that it was safe to do so.

Good point. That, I don’t know.

1 hour ago, RussTCB said:

This reminds me of how Brandon Lee was killed on the set of The Crow. 

Yup. There was also an actor named Jon-Erik Hexum who was the co-star in a series called Cover Up in the early eighties. He thought it would be fun to play Russian roulette with a prop gun during a lull in filming. It was the last thing he ever did. 

Edited by lame ass security
  • Wow 3

16 hours ago, downzy said:

https://www.thedailybeast.com/alec-baldwin-film-rust-stunt-gun-misfire-kills-crew-member-wounds-another?ref=home

I still don’t know how, with everything that happened with Brandon Lee in the Crow, this could happen again.

Maybe not aim and pull the trigger at anyone who isn’t in a scene?  Tragic and mind blowing.

I hope for Baldwin’s sake he and/or the production have good insurance. 

I agree. After Brandon Lee was killed all the stunt guns were supposed to enforced so this would never happen again.  This is just a terrible tragedy and I'm sure Alec and everyone on the movie are just devastated by this.  

Maybe they should make another kind of prop gun so this won't happen again. Maybe using real guns with blanks isn't all that safe?

3 hours ago, RussTCB said:

This reminds me of how Brandon Lee was killed on the set of The Crow. 

Yeah, terrible when I heard this. A huge fan of Bruce and Brandon and to hear that Brandon was killed because someone didn't check out the gun correctly.  When this happened I thought something would be done so this didn't happen ever again. Something was very wrong.

Terrible that someone else had to die again over this same problem.

19 hours ago, downzy said:

Appears there was a live round in the chamber…

No idea how something like that could go undetected.   A live round has a bullet on the end of it and blanks don’t.   You can tell the difference between a live round and a blank from a mile away.   

For example:

Blanks:

image.jpeg.dec325016648506e02093fb5ed9350f9.jpeg

Live round:

image.jpeg.2d55e96c0a4d1a7c60957097a0cdc862.jpeg

Edit:  According to a report the gun Baldwin used was supposed to be a “cold gun” meaning there should not have been any rounds in it, including blanks…which makes it that much worse, IMO. 

Edited by Ace Nova
  • Like 1