Covid-19 Thread

adamsapple

5 minutes ago, Dazey said:

Apparently the UK are going to avoid shutting down schools, mass gatherings etc. The plan is to delay things but allow it to spread slowly thus developing herd immunity across the country. 

It's all going quickly here now. Swimming pools shutting down, many towns shutting down all gatherings, venues canceling all events... There's a town where all is canceled until April 30th, that includes church, youth clubs, scouts etc. They do have a really old population, I think. So that would be a factor. That's all on their own initiative, not the government who decided that. There's another meeting tonight. Curious to see what that will result in.

They're not shutting down schools here because the kids will have to stay at their grandparents then, which would be bad.

Basically, if they say everyone who sneezes or coughs has to stay in for 7 days, that means a kind of lockdown, no? It's March, everyone sneezes or coughs now and then.

11 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

All schools shut down in Norway. People harvesting foods. Jeez. 

what do you mean, Jeez?

you're going to sit there, see how massive this epidemy is, how many people are dying and getting infected, and then criticise measures like closing schools and harvesting food?

marvelous! just, marvelous.

I hope you've made pertinent preparations yourself, you've a child to care for. time to ditch that scientist hat for the forseeable time. you never know what is coming!

the precautionary principle, dammit. god you're so stubborn.

29 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Same old Dazey haha.

I should be okay to be fair. I actually work on a plant that manufactures fragrances for cleaning products and hand sanitizers. We also make flavourings that are added to things like dried noodles. I'm literally apocalypse proof. :lol: 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, action said:

what do you mean, Jeez?

I mean it is panicky to harvest food when there isn't any shortage, the supply lines are intact, and there likely won't be any shortage. It is just another example of people being stupid and acting without thinking out of herd mentality. 

Now governments have to calm people down and prevent the unnecessary harvesting which could in itself result in some foods and medicines being temporarily unavailable due to selfish morons. 

the fact that we need paychecks to live, is also a result of a capitalist social model. the fact that people work, children go to school... all aspects of a social model starting with the renaissance. In the middle ages, there were no schools, there were no jobs, there were no capitalists. just farmers and kings sucking them dry for no other reason than that they could.

There are other societies thinkable (I'm not saying: realistic). Such as the native americans who live off the land, with respect to nature. Did they lead unhappy lives? Hardly.

We invaded their land, and basically destroyed their social model. Is, what came in it's place, a better social model? that's your own preference, that's not up for debate.

Check out the author John Zerzan. He explores pre-capitalist, pre-colonial societies as part of a critique of capitalism. Its all very theoretical (his work is not a handbook to undo modern society by any stretch), but theres still wisdom and insight to be gained.

3 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

I mean it is panicky to harvest food when there isn't any shortage, the supply lines are intact, and there likely won't be any shortage. It is just another example of people being stupid and acting without thinking out of herd mentality. 

Now governments have to calm people down and prevent the unnecessary harvesting which could in itself result in some foods and medicines being temporarily unavailable due to selfish morons. 

If I have to selfisolate, I can't go to the store anymore, can I? I'm not really harvesting, but I did make sure I have enough to last me for a while.

1 minute ago, Lio said:

If I have to selfisolate, I can't go to the store anymore, can I? I'm not really harvesting, but I did make sure I have enough to last me for a while.

You don't have home delivery where you are at? Or friends and family that can pick up food for you? Harvesting because you might be isolated seems excessive to me. Always having some food stuffs at home, like flour and other long-duration products always makes sense. That's not what I am commenting on. 

Just to be clear: I am not talking about people who buy some extra cans of reindeer balls to have in their pantry. I think that is always sensible if you have the space for it. I am talking about people buying ten packets of paracetamol and a trolley of toilet paper. That's pointless and selfish.

Just now, DieselDaisy said:

Is harvesting what we call stockpiling? 

That's what I meant, at least. 

50 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

The response of the United Kingdom is utterly baffling. Sing ''happy birthday'' whilst washing your hands and enjoy your visit to Cheltenham. I almost admire it for its stubborn idiocy.

What would you do recommend? Avoid personal hygiene and panic? I am curious to hear what your advise would be.

11 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

That's what I meant, at least. 

What would you do recommend? Avoid personal hygiene and panic? I am curious to hear what your advise would be.

Well I wouldn't be allowing Cheltenham to take place!

The symptoms seem to vary a lot. Eartha Kitts do occur it seems in some cases. 

This is like a cuffing season within cuffing season! A second chance to find love. 'Hello ms lady, Ive got a barrel of peanuts and a flat of Gatorade, shall we go back to my place and self isolate for a few weeks?' Woot-woot! 

Zompoc and chill? :lol:

• Haha 1

Virolologists and universities have sent an open letter to government now to take drastic measures. I would be surprised at this point if any events (indoor and outdoor) would be happening after tonight. Quite a few names in there are the government's advisors on this whole thing. They can't really ignore them, I think.