Covid-19 Thread

adamsapple

it's all too late. by this point I think it's safe to assume you'll be infected eventually, if that isn't already the case. it's coming real close, and many people know people who are infected, and that's not taking into account the case that fly "under the radar".

with a death rate of 3%, it'll be absolute horror

i'm having a sore troat myself, and a creepy cough. might be nothing, or it might be the beginning of the end

as for my son, he seems to be doing pretty well, drawing turtles characters and stuff. he seems oblivious of it all, it's bittersweet

Edited by action

4 minutes ago, action said:

it's all too late. by this point I think it's safe to assume you'll be infected eventually, if that isn't already the case. it's coming real close, and many people know people who are infected, and that's not taking into account the case that fly "under the radar".

with a death rate of 3%, it'll be absolute horror

i'm having a sore troat myself, and a creepy cough. might be nothing, or it might be the beginning of the end

I thought you'd locked yourself in? Is your kid better?

5 minutes ago, Lio said:

I thought you'd locked yourself in? Is your kid better?

as much as I can. In the last two weeks I visited a store two times, and then nothing. no hobbies, no friends, no trips.

But I can't avoid going to work, and neither can my wife. My son is back at school since last monday, he had to. Couldn't keep him at home forever.

there is only so much you can do as a small time working class person. :(

Edited by action

5 minutes ago, action said:

it's all too late. by this point I think it's safe to assume you'll be infected eventually

No, it isn't. There is nothing that suggests everybody will get infected. Everybody might be exposed to the virus, though. But that is something else. Looking at data from China and Italy, some people doesn't seem to get infected. If this becomes a fixed disease, like seasonal flu, then, looking more long-term at it, it is likely that the majority of us will get infected, yes.

And we have no idea what the fatality rate will be, because we don't have precise numbers for the total number of cases. It could be substantially lower than 3 %, or substantially higher. 

Not to trivialize all the people that will likely die from this, but it should also be emphasized that if you are young and healthy, the fatality rate is much, much, much lower than 3 %, whereas it is much higher if you are old and suffering certain other conditions. Still, many people will die.

3 hours ago, Dazey said:

Apparently the UK are going to avoid shutting down schools, mass gatherings etc. The plan is to delay things but allow it to spread slowly thus developing herd immunity across the country. 

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

How does one slowly spread a virus if they are refusing to shut anything down? This could massively backfire and overwhelm their hospital system. 

NBA’s Rudy Gobert mocked coronavirus by touching reporters’ mics, phones. Then he tested positive.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2020/03/12/rudy-gobert-mocked-coronavirus-utah-jazz/

On Monday, Rudy Gobert joked with members of the media by making sure to touch all the microphones and recording devices reporters had placed on the table in front of him as he left a news conference.

On Wednesday night, he became Patient Zero for the NBA in the coronaviruscrisis.

3 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

The dutch are doing what the UK are doing, which is absolutely nothing.

Not true... the Prime Minister just held a press conference and talked about all the restrictions for the coming month.

I still think the hysteria is bananas. Watched an interview with a guy just now who was infected. He was sick for a couple of days, it was like having the flu he said, and he's all better now.

If I do get infected, I won't be worried at all.

1 minute ago, EvanG said:

Not true... the Prime Minister just held a press conference and talked about all the restrictions for the coming month.

I still think the hysteria is bananas. Watched an interview with a guy just now who was infected. He was sick for a couple of days, it was like having the flu he said, and he's all better now.

If I do get infected, I won't be worried at all.

This. I really don't have much to worry about. But I am starting to get annoyed by all the hype tho.

Just now, UcudBmine said:

This. I really don't have much to worry about. But I am starting to get annoyed by all the hype tho.

Me too, but pretty much everyone I met in real life this week has been down to earth about it, if it even got mentioned at all. There were a few people I met at work that didn't want to shake hands, but it was more as a joke than anything else because of what Rutte said. It's mainly the media and all those online... gekkies! 

The UK seem to be basing their reaction on what might be termed, ''public psychology''. For instance, if you isolate everyone now, and shutting down cities etc, people won't bother when you genuinely need to self-isolate as they'll be fatigued by the process. Thus by staggering the prohibitive measures, and timing them perfectly, you can mitigate the disease at the sharpest spike. A very different approach from Ireland's and Denmark's. 

And obviously, such is totalitarianism, China doesn't have to bother about any of that.

Edited by DieselDaisy

8 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

The UK seem to be basing their reaction on what might be termed, ''public psychology''. For instance, if you isolate everyone now, and shutting down cities etc, people won't bother when you genuinely need to self-isolate as they'll be fatigued by the process. Thus by staggering the prohibitive measures, and timing them perfectly, you can mitigate the disease at the sharpest spike. A very different approach from Ireland's and Denmark's. 

And obviously, such is totalitarianism, China doesn't have to bother about any of that.

UK is playing with fire with this strategy. Hard to corral a virus with half measures.

In times of crisis, you need some authoritarianism. If this virus started in the US or UK, there'd be many more people dead right now.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, EvanG said:

Me too, but pretty much everyone I met in real life this week has been down to earth about it, if it even got mentioned at all. There were a few people I met at work that didn't want to shake hands, but it was more as a joke than anything else because of what Rutte said. It's mainly the media and all those online... gekkies! 

Hahaha the internetgekkies are my favorite, I saw one guy trying to prove a point citing some Spanish zombiefilms as his source. I'd have gone with that Will Smith movie for a more dramatic effect.

I also like how everyone turned into self proclaimed virologists, throwing around the wrong numbers without understanding what they are saying. Those people are the real reason others are panicking.

Edited by UcudBmine
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

I thought the press conference was pretty good. Makes a lot of sense to me. 

1 minute ago, Basic_GnR_Fan said:

UK is playing with fire with this strategy. Hard to corral a virus with half measures.

In times of crisis, you need some authoritarianism. If this virus started in the US or UK, there'd be many more people dead right now.

Yes but the reaction has to be tailored to the country. China has not only a history of totalitarianism but a history of mass mobilization (or non-mobilization in this particular set of circumstances). The obvious British reaction would be to tell the authorities to fuck off, and bugger-off to the pub. 

• Haha 1

Essentially at one end of the extreme you have Ireland and at the other the UK. Two similar countries with different solutions. If the UK are correct then the Irish people will eventually get sick later on and tell the authorities to ''feck off'', and children will unleash corona on their grandparent minders. If the Brits have it wrong the whole thing will just spiral out of control from the beginning and we won't really be discussing it in terms of ''spikes'' but just one big Italian style mess with a collapse of the NHS. 

5-10,000 infected it is believe from 590 confirmed. That can give everyone some sort of loose idea. 

1 hour ago, UcudBmine said:

Personally, no. But I'd hate to see my parents get infected or something. That's much more worrying to me than getting it myself. 

• Like 1