Covid-19 Thread

adamsapple

So Trump closes down the borders for travelers from Europe (except from the UK, for strange reasons). What does he hope to gain from this? Keep the virus out of USA? Doesn't he know they already have it, and likely much more of it than they report? It is too late now. His focus should be turned to calming the spread inside the USA. What he should be doing is test more people and put more people in isolation. Trace the spread internally, identify sources, isolate, isolate, isolate. This policy is just for optics. To make it seem like he is "tough on bugs!" A very drastic measure but with little obvious rationale. His voters will likely applaud, though. It is becoming increasingly clear he is not what I would call a "thinking man's president".

• Like 1

have you seen those videos in that italian hospital, you know where that doctor said something like if you don't believe in the severety just come visit us and see for yourself?

that genuinly creeped me out

I can't believe there's still people calling this "nothing more than a flu"

there is no need to panick, but there is also no need to minimalise this. count on politicians to do that for us.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, action said:

have you seen those videos in that italian hospital, you know where that doctor said something like if you don't believe in the severety just come visit us and see for yourself?

that genuinly creeped me out

I can't believe there's still people calling this "nothing more than a flu"

there is no need to panick, but there is also no need to minimalise this. count on politicians to do that for us.

Don't count o  politicians on nothing. Trump just banned "Europe" for travel... but by Europe he didn't include UK - proof that politics are above any reasoning in these guys... 

And he done this when virus is already there, and no contretation to slow (you cannot stop this) down spread, he is thinking about elections and partnership with UK...

7 minutes ago, -Jaro- said:

Don't count o  politicians on nothing. Trump just banned "Europe" for travel... but by Europe he didn't include UK - proof that politics are above any reasoning in these guys... 

And he done this when virus is already there, and no contretation to slow (you cannot stop this) down spread, he is thinking about elections and partnership with UK...

He's so annoying with his 'we are the best' blabla. Seriously? What an annoying stupid man. Not that it took me to today to come to that conclusion, but every time he keeps surprising me with his childish arrogant totally misplaced behaviour.

And yes, lol, not sure about UK. I don't think they were doing anything particularly different from the rest of Europe?

Every time I complain about our politicians, I should think of those poor Americans with their obnoxious dumb asshole for a president.

As for the traveling, I selfishly don't really mind travel bans. As long as we can, we should try anything to prevent what's happening in Italy. If that's even possible at this point.

1 minute ago, DieselDaisy said:

The reason he has omitted the United Kingdom is because he has applied it to Schengen - irrespective of Brexit the UK had an opt-out. Similar with Eire, Romania, Bulgaria, etc. 

Yep - Croatia is not on list - because of Schengen :D, and we don't have direct flights as I know so... 

There are three types of European state not in Schengen.

- *UK and Republic of Ireland, EU who negotiated opt-outs because of the Common Travel Area

- EU/EEA states who are legally obliged to join Schengen but haven't bothered: Bulgaria, Croatia, Romania and Cyprus. 

- Non-EU/EEA European states, e.g., Ukraine, Russia, Serbia, etc etc. 

*I suppose you could now place the UK in the third category - certainly de jure - but the point is that Brexit is not a factor as the UK never belonged to Schengen. 

PS

President Trump should have of course specified Schengen in his speech.

Edited by DieselDaisy

I feel a bit sad for politicians now They are damned no matter what they do. There will always be experts calling for tougher policies, and these experts and bound to get on the front pages. So there is a lot of pressure to do more, but there is really little that can be done at this stage to stop it. Thousands will die. And the politicians will either get crtiticised for not doing enough or doing too little. 

There is absolutely no epidemiological reason why UK should be excepted from the travel ban -- they are amongst the countries with the highest infection -- so it is obvious there are some ulterior motives at hand here. I would suspect USA and UK are involved in some trade negotiations now and that's the real reason. Trade trumps health.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

I feel a bit sad for politicians now They are damned no matter what they do. There will always be experts calling for tougher policies, and these experts and bound to get on the front pages. So there is a lot of pressure to do more, but there is really little that can be done at this stage to stop it. Thousands will die. And the politicians will either get crtiticised for not doing enough or doing too little. 

The thing is, in Belgium they should be strict. But they're reluctant to do so and only advise. By now, the field has overtaken them and organizations, companies, carehomes, universities etc are taking their own measures. It just shows politicians at being useless.

And we're not a naturally obedient country. Most will find creative ways to do what they want anyway. Like mayors still allowing events for 999 people instead of 1000. And they'll smile and say: we're adhering to the rules! While the smallest child can see that's not taking it serious. The consequence is people think: you see, it's not that bad.

I think you up north are more dutiful and obedient, so maybe people would adhere more to guidelines and advice, and take them serious.

7 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

There is absolutely no epidemiological reason why UK should be excepted from the travel ban -- they are amongst the countries with the highest infection -- so it is obvious there are some ulterior motives at hand here. I would suspect USA and UK are involved in some trade negotiations now and that's the real reason. Trade trumps health.

The fact that he has applied it to Schengen is the obvious answer. 

PS

The UK is the tenth European country ranked by confirmed infection. 

Edited by DieselDaisy

Trump has blamed the EU for spreading it - ''The E.U. failed''. To accept his argument, he really should have blamed ''Schengen'' considering not every signatory of Schengen is a EU member state, and not every EU member state is a signatory of Schengen, but he isn't that well versed in such things I believe. Most media are reporting it as ''Europe'' - Trump Europe travel ban - so they are fairly thick also. 

20 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Then again, the ban only concerns people, not goods. Import goes on. 

Also, I don’t criticize politicians in this matter. I dislike the selfish people buying out the malls, not giving a shit about anyone else, not realizing the more sanitizers etc. they take for themselves, the more the shit will spread among other people...

Edited by jamillos

17 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

The fact that he has applied it to Schengen is the obvious answer. 

PS

The UK is the tenth European country ranked by confirmed infection. 

Confirmed infection is pointless, as we know many many people are infected with mild symptoms and will not be tested. In Belgium only people who are severely ill will be tested. To have a correct image, it's better to look at deaths and maybe hospitalized people, I think. But this isn't a competition. As far as I can see, the UK isn't doing better or worse than most European countries, so this totally arbitrary travel ban is nonsense. Either ban all or none. Anything else is just senseless.

And let's not forget that in the US many people are untested as well. It's not as if they have no cases.

9 minutes ago, Lio said:

Confirmed infection is pointless, as we know many many people are infected with mild symptoms and will not be tested. In Belgium only people who are severely ill will be tested. To have a correct image, it's better to look at deaths and maybe hospitalized people, I think. But this isn't a competition. As far as I can see, the UK isn't doing better or worse than most European countries, so this totally arbitrary travel ban is nonsense. Either ban all or none. Anything else is just senseless.

And let's not forget that in the US many people are untested as well. It's not as if they have no cases.

It is actually quite logical considering Europe's proliferation basically occurred at the epicentre of the Schengen Area, Northern Italy filtering out north east and westward, and that the decision to not close the Italian border when it looked like Northern Italy was going to spiral was widely criticised at the time (not just by Trump) - whether you assign this blame at the EU or the Italian government's door is neither here nor there. 

If I was sitting in Trump's position I'd want to include Italy and possibly France. It is more difficult to ban Italians from flying to the United States (from say France or Austria) than Schengen Area citizens (for lack of a better term) flying to the United States from London under this Trump travel ban. Thus using the Schengen Area as an ''unit of prohibition'' seems logical.

You are correct about number of reported but it is the best we have to go off in the light of flawed statistics. Death ratio can vary according to demographics, health care and other factors. 

Edited by DieselDaisy