UYI boxset will be released 11/11/22. In Slash We Trust. * Now available *

Just now, Italian girl said:

I'd like to hear Perfect crime live

I think it was on the alternate set list in 2017. I'd say I have my doubts about Axl pulling it off now, but then again Reckless Life and Shadow are consistently two of the songs he sounds best on so who knows. I'd be up for an honest attempt!

• Like 4

Tokyo was not shot on film. It was shot by TV broadcast video camera by a Japanese television station.  Since the third party already recorded it and paid for it, GNR just used their tapes for the video release.

This is why you will see a lot of bands/artist release shows that were broadcast from festivals or shows recorded by a TV station.  The station or festival is paying for the recording so the band uses that footage.

Bruce did the same thing for his Live in Hyde Park release about a decade ago.  The festival filmed the show and he released the whole thing in HD but the recording was paid for by a third party. Not Bruce himself.

Edited by UncleJosh

34 minutes ago, UncleJosh said:

Tokyo was not shot on film. It was shot by TV broadcast video camera by a Japanese television station.  Since the third party already recorded it and paid for it, GNR just used their tapes for the video release.

This is why you will see a lot of bands/artist release shows that were broadcast from festivals or shows recorded by a TV station.  The station or festival is paying for the recording so the band uses that footage.

Bruce did the same thing for his Live in Hyde Park release about a decade ago.  The festival filmed the show and he released the whole thing in HD but the recording was paid for by a third party. Not Bruce himself.

Really? I thought Tokyo was shot on purpose for a home release by the band. Not TV station. AFAIK that show was never broadcasted in Japan TV like Argentina was. 

1 hour ago, gnr5 said:

Really? I thought Tokyo was shot on purpose for a home release by the band. Not TV station. AFAIK that show was never broadcasted in Japan TV like Argentina was. 

This is a weird one because there are two versions of it. There's the one Geffen put out on home video then there's the TDK one (the Japanese company). They each have different angles in spots. I'm sure I'm missing some of the deeper facts around the show for sure. It's just how I remember it. 

17 hours ago, tsinindy said:

Civil War was the most played song at 131. 

Double Talking Jive was played 178 times on UYI Tour. (1991: 53, 1992: 70, 1993: 55)

and November Rain 170 times … so get your facts right or gtfo

11 hours ago, ruttu69 said:
Edited by ruttu69

4 hours ago, Tom-Ass said:

I ordered mine this past Sunday from "The Sound of Vinyl" site and it arrived this morning..

Same here. Amazed how fast my vinyl super deluxe box set arrived and for $350 none the less. The sale goes until the 23rd if anyone is interested. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, saint_seiya said:

You cant tell the difference between video and film?

I could, but Tokyo was released 30 years ago on VHS. If it was shot on Film, then it would be possible to get not only the same Tokyo show, but all three at 4K HD.

• Haha 1

What’s this “only 35mm film qualifies” bullshit? I would be extremely happy to see unseen pro-shot material (like Saskatoon 93) released officially, hell even the ones that has circulated for years. They would be still better quality than these vhs rips that we have

Edited by ruttu69
  • Like 3

No one said only 35mm qualifies.  The question was whether Tokyo was shot on film and if so we could have something like the Ritz 91 in 4K. That is not possible as it was shot on video with television broadcast cameras. They might be able to upscale it but that often looks like crap and artificial unless a LOT of money and time is put into it.

While all of us would LOVE to have any videos put out, from  the record companies perspective, they want to put out the best quality version. Look at all the praise the Ritz has gotten.  I guarantee if they had put out even a cleaned up version of Saskatoon, most of the feedback would be negative and complaining how it doesn't look official quality. Which it wouldn't since it was not recorded with the intent of releasing it officially.  And by officially I mean full retail with record company support like this box set.

Now they could do something like work with Nugs to upload some of these shows that are in lesser quality for sale or even throw them on their YT channel like Metallica does. But we all know they won't.

• GNFNR 1