The Death Penalty - Opinion's

ssiscool

Death Penalty  

35 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

So. Texas is due to execute Kosoul Chanthakoummane on August 17th for murdering 40-year-old Sarah Ann Walker on July 8, 2006, in Mckinney, Texas. 

I have developed a strong interest in the topic as of late and was wondering what people think of capital punishment in general? On July 28th Alabama executed Joe Nathan James, Jr despite pleas from the victim's family not to. Whats your take on this?

Absolutely against it. Modern prisons are secure enough that we don't need to kill a perpetrator to avoid a repeat crime. Plus, there's no civilised or dignified way to kill someone. The lethal injection isn't as quick and painless as a vaccine. It's not even close to putting a dog to sleep. 

We need a state to administer justice, but I don't think that ending life should be within its responsibilities. 

Let's take the example of Louis Castro Perez in Texas. He's always claimed innocence. Another guy admitted to the crime privately. Since, the other guy who confessed has already been executed for other murders, so couldn't be investigated further. It's a complex story and I don't know if he's innocent or not, but there should have been a better investigation into this, and there might have been if they just had life without parole instead. 

• Like 2

It's a difficult one, the risk of a miscarriage of justice is a major issue. 

The death sentence just seems archaic and barbaric

I watched a tv programme quite recently where a guy in a US jail was serving life without parole, he killed a cellmate just to get on death row because 'it's better conditions and safer on death row'

I guess I'm against it but my gut reaction to child killers is to kill them

I chose 'don't know'

5 hours ago, Gracii Guns said:

Let's take the example of Louis Castro Perez in Texas. He's always claimed innocence. Another guy admitted to the crime privately. Since, the other guy who confessed has already been executed for other murders, so couldn't be investigated further. It's a complex story and I don't know if he's innocent or not, but there should have been a better investigation into this, and there might have been if they just had life without parole instead. 

This is the situation Kosoul Chanthakoummane is in. He's always claimed innocence and the forensic techniques used are not universally agreed upon and is refuted by many as inaccurate. He had a Stay of execution in 2017 I beleive. So it is tough to know. 

I think it gets a bit easier over the rights and wrongs of the death penalty when a killer confesses to the crimes. But you have to be careful of fake confessions 

So this is the always brilliant Ian Hislop humiliating the idiot who currently serves as UK Home Secretary. For those not from here the Home Secretary is basically in charge of the criminal justice system so not terrifying at all. 😂

• Like 2

My stance on the death penalty is that I’m morally opposed to it as it makes the state no better than the criminal and also there’s no 100% way to be certain of guilt. I must admit though that I don’t shed a tear when some nonce gets deleted occasionally even though I think it’s wrong. 

• Like 2

I'm against the concept of:

• The state having the power to take a citizen's life
  • Relieving the criminal of living through consequences of the crimes he/she committed
  • Feeding the general population's savage thirst for revenge by killing someone and making a spectacle out of it
  • Potentially sentencing someone to the death penalty when people are wrongfully convicted all the time

So yes, I am completely against it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dazey said:

My stance on the death penalty is that I’m morally opposed to it as it makes the state no better than the criminal and also there’s no 100% way to be certain of guilt. I must admit though that I don’t shed a tear when some nonce gets deleted occasionally even though I think it’s wrong. 

I once read a quote where a defence lawyer said that "if you kill a murderer, the world has the same number of killers" and it kinda hits home there. 

• Like 3

Death is irreversible. Judges, juries, witnesses, prosecutors, and cops make mistakes. There is absolutely no way to be 100% sure of anything. Whether or not the death penalty is appropriate in a world with absolute certainty is a philosophical debate, but whether or not we can ever be 100% sure that we're executing the right person is an easy question to answer: we just don't, and with any risk whatsoever, I am categorically unwilling to allow it.

• Like 1

I saw a New York Undercover episode where a Criminal who DIDN'T shoot the gun in a fatal shooting was still executed in the Death Penalty. WTF? That episode bothers me to this very second.... If he DIDN'T shoot the gun, meaning he DIDN'T kill the victim, WHY did he still get executed in the Death Penalty?  

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Karice said:

I saw a New York Undercover episode where a Criminal who DIDN'T shoot the gun in a fatal shooting was still executed in the Death Penalty. WTF? That episode bothers me to this very second.... If he DIDN'T shoot the gun, meaning he DIDN'T kill the victim, WHY did he still get executed in the Death Penalty?  

The Innocence Project is an entire national organization dedicated to appealing convictions for people who are awaiting the death penalty for crimes they didn't commit. If there are that many people who get convicted who didn't do what they're accused of, we shouldn't be executing anyone.

2 hours ago, Karice said:

But by that logic, what about people who hire a hitman? They've not pulled the trigger

https://deathpenaltyinfo.org/executions/executions-overview/executed-but-did-not-directly-kill-victim

I came across as so naive wondering why the New York Undercover Criminal got executed when he DIDN'T shoot/kill the Victim.... Here is a list of Criminals in real life  who got executed when they DIDN'T shoot/kill the Victim. At least one of the People who got executed had already left when the shooter shot/killed the Victim.... 

Edited by Karice

15 hours ago, janrichmond said:

We are not talking about abortions so it's not really relevant in this thread

The thread is generally talking about killing people. So to me its relevant. But I don't need to discuss it any further. No one changes their mind after debating subjects anyway. 

25 minutes ago, gnfnrs1972 said:

The thread is generally talking about killing people. So to me its relevant. But I don't need to discuss it any further. No one changes their mind after debating subjects anyway. 

Foetuses aren’t people. Glad I could be of help. 

• Like 1