Soundcheck mysterious song

9 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

If you take Brain out of the equation, which one seems more plausible? It's not just a riff.

More plausible for any other band than GNR I would be all hands on deck regarding getting my hopes it is something substantial lol maybe it is just from being burned by GNR too many times but I am not going to consider the riff as anything but a riff until proven otherwise :lol:

8 hours ago, Zeppelin said:

Yeah, this is a gigantic stretch, even for GNR fans. I hear Bucket also joined them at specific dates to teach Slash the TWAT solo.

I’d rather Bucket joined them at specific dates to PLAY the TWAT solo! We deserve to hear him play that live at least once 🤞

Maybe Brain is putting in a word…

We can at least dream.

• Like 3

As if people really believe that a big name band would fly someone in to teach a professional drummer a song! 😂 That is one of the stupidest things I've ever read.

It's not like it's the first time Brain's been around the band since he left/Slash and Duff came back either. Bands are big machines and businesses, he'll have a role somewhere, and it won't be that of teacher or babysitter for a guy who's been in the band for nearly 20 years! 😂

• Like 3

1 hour ago, DoMw94 said:

As if people really believe that a big name band would fly someone in to teach a professional drummer a song! 😂 That is one of the stupidest things I've ever read.

It's not like it's the first time Brain's been around the band since he left/Slash and Duff came back either. Bands are big machines and businesses, he'll have a role somewhere, and it won't be that of teacher or babysitter for a guy who's been in the band for nearly 20 years! 😂

Your argument fell apart the moment you called Frank a professional drummer:lol:The only professional part of his playing is his paycheck lol, he is goddamn awful and only there because he was loyal to Axl and Steven wasnt an option anymore, and those are Duffs and Slashs own words, if you believe Matts book, anyways.

Edited by StrangerInThisTown
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

Your argument fell apart the moment you called Frank a professional drummer:lol:The only professional part of his playing is his paycheck lol, he is goddamn awful and only there because he was loyal to Axl and Steven wasnt an option anymore, and those are Duffs and Slashs own words, if you believe Matts book, anyways.

He's in the band 🤷‍♂️ Enough said

12 minutes ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

I think Frank is a mediocre drummer but he is, undoubtedly, a professional still. Not liking someone’s drumming doesn’t change that. 

You can believe that, but to me, a mediocre professional sounds like an oxymoron. So I still stand by my point

5 minutes ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

You can believe that, but to me, a mediocre professional sounds like an oxymoron. So I still stand by my point

I disagree with that. Frank is a professional in the sense the man knows his craft, has proven himself able to learn dozens and dozens of songs of many styles (by himself), and has been the bands most reliable drummer. Even playing with a broken hand at one point.

But solely as a drummer, he lacks the groove and feel required for GNR songs and is by far the weakest drummer in the bands history. It’s tough to really describe what I mean but I don’t think he really brings the right energy and vibe on the setlist. Listen to Adler playing a few of the same songs on the same drum set in 2016 and you see what I mean. Doesn’t mean he’s not professional. I would call DJ Ashba, the bands worst guitarist, a professional as well. He learned the entire set, sat down wrote his own variations of CD solos, worked on solo spots, and was reliable too. Doesn’t mean I think he’s a good GNR guitarist.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

Well if you take it in the literal sense he is a professional; this is his profession as he makes a living based on this.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, CAFC Nick said:

Well if you take it in the literal sense he is a professional; this is his profession as he makes a living based on this.

I know, if you go to my post above I said the only professional part of his playing IS his paycheck. But the whole argument was "it's unrealistic a professional drummer would need lessons" when it's indeed feasible because his drumming itself is not professional but completely mediocre and even Slash and Duff said he sucks balls but they have to live with it for Axls sake.

1 hour ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

But the whole argument was "it's unrealistic a professional drummer would need lessons"

That wasn't the argument, the argument was that the band wouldn't fly a former member in and take them on tour just to give lessons.

Even Duff has openly admitted to having lessons since getting sober

57 minutes ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

I know, if you go to my post above I said the only professional part of his playing IS his paycheck. But the whole argument was "it's unrealistic a professional drummer would need lessons" when it's indeed feasible because his drumming itself is not professional but completely mediocre and even Slash and Duff said he sucks balls but they have to live with it for Axls sake.

No, it is not at all feasible that they had to fly out a professional drummer across continents to multiple cities to 1) relearn a song he played drums on 20 years ago and then 2) teach it to the current drummer, who regardless of whether you think he’s good, is a professional drummer who knows how to play a simple fucking drum groove.

Did they have to fly out Adler and Sorum to teach Frank the old albums? How about the ChiDem stuff? How did Frank learn it without them flying Brain out to teach him those ones?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Jakey Styley said:

No, it is not at all feasible that they had to fly out a professional drummer across continents to multiple cities to 1) relearn a song he played drums on 20 years ago and then 2) teach it to the current drummer, who regardless of whether you think he’s good, is a professional drummer who knows how to play a simple fucking drum groove.

Did they have to fly out Adler and Sorum to teach Frank the old albums? How about the ChiDem stuff? How did Frank learn it without them flying Brain out to teach him those ones?

IIRC, Brain did actually teach Frank some of the ChiDem drum parts.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, DoMw94 said:

That wasn't the argument, the argument was that the band wouldn't fly a former member in and take them on tour just to give lessons.

Even Duff has openly admitted to having lessons since getting sober

22 minutes ago, Jakey Styley said:

Look, it's stupid to assume that's the sole reason he is there. I've said before why the fuck are people assuming that would be the SOLE reason he is there? There could be a whole lot of multiple reasons, why he's there, where together, it would be worth it to fly in, and that just being one of them?

Or possibly he's there for a whole other reason, and this is not the reason at all, such as: to see Melissa. And so while he's there anyway, it's unfeasible to think he thought hey maybe I can help or that he could have been asked to, since they're working on those songs anyway? Does not seem unlikely at all, for fucks sake.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, WhazUp said:

If we currently apply Ocam's Razor we have two options:

- the instrumentalists of GNR are jamming on a cool riff they think there is something cool enough to develop/keep around

- GNR have a secret new song they want to play live, not on the alt setlists yet, and they flew a previous drummer out specifically to teach the current GNR drummer how to play the fairly simple drum groove

I know which one of the two seems more plausible to me lol

Why would Occam's Razor conclude that:

- the instrumentalists of GNR are jamming on a cool riff they think there is something cool enough to develop/keep around

and not:

- the instrumentalists of GNR are trying out a new song they have in the can to be released and played live.

(like, isn't that what happened with Absurd and Hard Skool? It was soundchcked by "the instrumentalists" when it was about to come out and start to be played live)

Edited by Spiritual_Chaos

18 minutes ago, Jw224 said:

Hopefully she'll record another 5 seconds of drums so we can talk about how it sounds like every song on the village discs

5 seconds that Frank is incapable of learning without a 1-to-1 tutorial with the band's ex-drummer.

38 minutes ago, Axl S said:

5 seconds that Frank is incapable of learning without a 1-to-1 tutorial with the band's ex-drummer.

Let's see: he has gotten lessons from Brain on CD drum parts before, was he incapable of learning them without a 1-to1- tutorial with the bands ex-drummer then too? hahaha, love this thread

• Like 1