Origins of jokes

7 minutes ago, PrimalScream said:

Trust me when I tell you you'll regret having asked that:

Hide contents

SAtHrzhC9ao.jpg

For context, I believe this was during the Brazilian leg of the 2010 tour. Some of the first shows after the release of Chinese, first shows with Ashba, GnR first time in Brazil since RiR 2001. There was all that excitement

thanks for answering.  wow, time was spent designing that, and money was spent printing that. :O

The red text with no outline, on a black background, it's not a very good idea. It seems it would be hard to read from far away.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, BucketEgg said:

thanks for answering.  wow, time was spent designing that, and money was spent printing that. :O

The red text with no outline, on a black background, it's not a very good idea. It seems it would be hard to read from far away.

Graphic design is his/her/their passion

• Haha 3

9 hours ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

I've always wondered who came up with "less bloated and cracking jokes" and if he's still here, and why exactly that became a mainstay lmao, and if he knows what he contributed to the GNR community.

Wasn't that just a thing that sort of crept in as people used to stay stuff along those lines every time? 

Anyway.....

Cool that they're releasing Ritz 91 since it's not only a great show but has a very unusual setlist with Mr Brownstone not being the second song, PC being early in the set and Jungle being the closer.

BTW seeing how he sings fast-paced tunes like Shadow & Reckless Life pretty decently nowadays imo (angry Mickey I call it) I think Axl could do a decent job if they played Perfect Crime now. The angry Mickey sounds better than the normal Mickey

Edited by allwaystired
  • Haha 4

On 11/2/2022 at 3:32 AM, BucketEgg said:

What's the origin of the "Thank You Beta By Take Care Of Him" phrase? I've seen it a few times, in that same phrasing, but I haven't been able to find the origin of the phrase.

If anyone else is wondering about the origins of other jokes, post them here too!

What is Joke

Ali.

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, allwaystired said:

Wasn't that just a thing that sort of crept in as people used to stay stuff along those lines every time? 

I mean..isn't that how every one of these things start. That someone says it and then it gets going? And I asked who said it first and if he knows:lol:

Edited by StrangerInThisTown

12 minutes ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

I mean..isn't that how every one of these things start. That someone says it and then it gets going? And I asked who said it first and if he knows:lol:

I meant more that it wasn't one person that said it- it sort of developed naturally..

Someone will have used those exact words first though in that set way at some point I suppose! You could probably find out actually by searching the forum for the word 'bloated' and going back to the oldest......

• Haha 1
  • ABSUЯD 1

On 11/2/2022 at 2:54 PM, StrangerInThisTown said:

I've always wondered who came up with "less bloated and cracking jokes" and if he's still here, and why exactly that became a mainstay lmao, and if he knows what he contributed to the GNR community.

I asked the same question in another thread about a year ago and was told that it came from a forum member, so I'm curious about who it was, too.

I want to say the "less bloated" thing started around 2011. By then the the whole "fat Axl" thing in the media was in full swing, and after a rough start in Rio that year Axl's vocals had our full attention.

So every time someone came back from a show it was almost a defense of Axl. It was always like "well I was at the show last night and his vocals were getting better and he looked great. He's less bloated and cracking jokes. He was in a great mood" and that sort of thing.

I think initially it was meant seriously but by 2014 had become the forum meme it is now.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Sonic Reducer said:

Hey I keep referring to Pitman as towel boy or towel player, but fuck me if I know where it comes from, anyone remember?

There's a GIF of him waving a towel around. I think it was when Axl introduced him during one of the proshots from 2012. I could be wrong on the year, but from around then.

On 11/2/2022 at 9:54 AM, StrangerInThisTown said:

The sad true is that every time GNR go back on tour the "less bloated and cracking jokes" thing comes again but sometimes not like a joke!😆