The "New Album" Thread. Thanks to the long ass thread, I’m going home!

Working my way through some old interviews to see any info on sessions from 96ish era. Was wondering if there was any info on songs from back then that they could in theory revisit if they were thinking of a new album. Few interesting parts maybe, not enough to justify it's own thread so i'll leave it here.

Hard Rock (France) - 1996
by The Hard Rock Staff 
https://web.archive.org/web/20030406165801/http://www.gnrunlimited.com/articles/hrduff-96.html

HR: OK! What is the status of Guns N' Roses today?

Duff: We rehearsal every night and I play bass! Axl is playing the rhythm guitar, and it works very well! We work from Monday to Friday, ha, ha! There's me, Axl, Slash, Matt, Dizzy. There's also a friend of Axl who helps him to learn to play guitar. But we play, and it works!

HR: Is there something concrete that came out from these rehearsals?

Duff: Yes! Some songs are almost finished.

Popular 1 Magazine (Spain) - July 2000
by Amir Ibrahim, Oriol Sibila and Cesar Martin https://web.archive.org/web/20030406174650/http://www.gnrunlimited.com/articles/p1-7-00.html

when you were working on the new stuff, how did it sound like?
There was no sound. There was no nothing. We didn't play. We tried. Matt and I did play. It was cool when Slash joined for a week. Even when Zakk Wylde and Slash played together, there were a couple of songs in which there was a natural progression and they were very rocking. You can imagine, they were really hard songs. As hard as I like them, yeah! But I can't tell you what they sounded like, there was not a definite sound. (Duff)

How was it like working with Zakk Wylde for that brief time?
I liked it a lot. He's a good guy. He's the funniest guy I know! You can't help but liking him. I worked with him and the guy is a genius. When he sits at the piano and starts playing, he can bring tears to your eyes. When he was 18 he was like the champion of his state playing the piano. (Duff)

36 minutes ago, Rindmelon said:

Working my way through some old interviews to see any info on sessions from 96ish era. Was wondering if there was any info on songs from back then that they could in theory revisit if they were thinking of a new album. Few interesting parts maybe, not enough to justify it's own thread so i'll leave it here.

Hard Rock (France) - 1996
by The Hard Rock Staff 
https://web.archive.org/web/20030406165801/http://www.gnrunlimited.com/articles/hrduff-96.html

HR: OK! What is the status of Guns N' Roses today?

Duff: We rehearsal every night and I play bass! Axl is playing the rhythm guitar, and it works very well! We work from Monday to Friday, ha, ha! There's me, Axl, Slash, Matt, Dizzy. There's also a friend of Axl who helps him to learn to play guitar. But we play, and it works!

HR: Is there something concrete that came out from these rehearsals?

Duff: Yes! Some songs are almost finished.

Popular 1 Magazine (Spain) - July 2000
by Amir Ibrahim, Oriol Sibila and Cesar Martin https://web.archive.org/web/20030406174650/http://www.gnrunlimited.com/articles/p1-7-00.html

when you were working on the new stuff, how did it sound like?
There was no sound. There was no nothing. We didn't play. We tried. Matt and I did play. It was cool when Slash joined for a week. Even when Zakk Wylde and Slash played together, there were a couple of songs in which there was a natural progression and they were very rocking. You can imagine, they were really hard songs. As hard as I like them, yeah! But I can't tell you what they sounded like, there was not a definite sound. (Duff)

How was it like working with Zakk Wylde for that brief time?
I liked it a lot. He's a good guy. He's the funniest guy I know! You can't help but liking him. I worked with him and the guy is a genius. When he sits at the piano and starts playing, he can bring tears to your eyes. When he was 18 he was like the champion of his state playing the piano. (Duff)

You might find more information here: (5) 19. DECEMBER 1994-OCTOBER 1996: AXL AND SLASH FIGHTS, SLASH QUITS - Page 2 (a-4-d.com)

2 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Yeah you guys have quite the archive of it all, it's been a while since I read through. I have now fallen down the Rabbit hole of looking into the missing 2001 shows from The Joint in Vegas. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/8/2024 at 4:53 AM, siraddam said:

Sounds pretty decent, could be an album tune. 

All of the effects added to this version are everything people have complained about on Absurd and The General…and Perhaps.  

the stripped down version was much more definitive.

18 minutes ago, Cosmo said:

That Bring It Back Home video is so obviously fake, I worry about everyone that believed it could be real

Now... Holiday Absurdity, in the other hand, is pure genius

The title of Bring it Back Home video on YouTube doesn't help. It should be clear that it's not an unreleased song, but rather a fan remix/rework.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Voodoochild said:

The title of Bring it Back Home video on YouTube doesn't help. It should be clear that it's not an unreleased song, but rather a fan remix/rework.

GNR fans should know right away that it is not real. 

Edited by SimoTheFish

On 12/30/2023 at 6:28 AM, Rindmelon said:

Yeah you guys have quite the archive of it all, it's been a while since I read through. I have now fallen down the Rabbit hole of looking into the missing 2001 shows from The Joint in Vegas. 

I find that 97-98 period very interesting, exactly what was worked on and how much work with Robin was actually done in 97 before Tommy and Josh joined. Was anything recorded before Duff left with Robin I wonder. Could there be earlier version of Prostitute and IRS etc then we were aware of?

5 hours ago, rumandraisin said:

I find that 97-98 period very interesting, exactly what was worked on and how much work with Robin was actually done in 97 before Tommy and Josh joined. Was anything recorded before Duff left with Robin I wonder. Could there be earlier version of Prostitute and IRS etc then we were aware of?

Oklahoma was bought in pretty much fully written at the start of 1998 according to Dave Dominguez who was one of the first engineers when CD sessions started. Suggests to me that a version probably exists with Duff on it. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Rindmelon said:

Oklahoma was bought in pretty much fully written at the start of 1998 according to Dave Dominguez who was one of the first engineers when CD sessions started. Suggests to me that a version probably exists with Duff on it. 

I wonder if/when Oklahoma got vocals. The leaked instrumental was from 2000, and I believe the Rolling Stone said they heard an instrumental of it in 1999. So later in 2000 or 2001+ is when it most likely got vocals.

Zodiac 13 is the mystery, as one of the versions from the Village leaks (from 2000) was labeled as no vox (or something similar) but the 2001 mix (which I don't like as much as the 2000 mix, piano intro too quiet and Robin's beginning of the solo is not there).

• Like 2

On 1/12/2024 at 5:32 PM, Sweersa said:

I wonder if/when Oklahoma got vocals. The leaked instrumental was from 2000, and I believe the Rolling Stone said they heard an instrumental of it in 1999. So later in 2000 or 2001+ is when it most likely got vocals.

Zodiac 13 is the mystery, as one of the versions from the Village leaks (from 2000) was labeled as no vox (or something similar) but the 2001 mix (which I don't like as much as the 2000 mix, piano intro too quiet and Robin's beginning of the solo is not there).

Oklahoma surely got vocals, just because of the change name between 2000 to 2008 when Axl confirmed as Berlin seems that was reworked or finished during that time , my personal holy grail with Me & My Elvis which I think is probably not finished.

• Like 3

On 1/13/2024 at 6:19 PM, Dani_1455 said:

Oklahoma surely got vocals, just because of the change name between 2000 to 2008 when Axl confirmed as Berlin seems that was reworked or finished during that time , my personal holy grail with Me & My Elvis which I think is probably not finished.

I agree that it's likely, but on the other hand, Axl could've just thought of another subject and or theme for Oklahoma/Berlin before having penned the lyrics. 

• Like 1