The "New Album" Thread. Thanks to the long ass thread, I’m going home!

10 hours ago, Free Bird said:

You can praise them as long as you want but as long as I have my own ears I know it’s garbage what you are listening to. 
No offense, you can listen to what ever you want but now that I know what these demos sound like, I don’t have to rely on other people’s opinion.

Cohesive would be the last adjective that comes to mind when listening to those.

That's all a matter of opinion. CD2 probably would of had similar production to the 2008 album if it was released on or prior to the reunion era. 

Most of these new re-heated CD songs with NITL are mixed like garbage. I assumed that was the consensus to most fans here, at least those with an ear for that type of thing.

I wouldn't complain as much about the slow drip of singles if they were at least mixed and mastered well. It makes all the difference. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Sweersa said:

That's all a matter of opinion. CD2 probably would of had similar production to the 2008 album if it was released on or prior to the reunion era. 

Most of these new re-heated CD songs with NITL are mixed like garbage. I assumed that was the consensus to most fans here, at least those with an ear for that type of thing.

I wouldn't complain as much about the slow drip of singles if they were at least mixed and mastered well. It makes all the difference. 

I’m not arguing with you about the mixing or the mastering. But that’s not the bands job, it’s Axl’s and Caram’s.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Draguns said:

Thinking about this further, it really s!cked for the band that the songs leaked. I was like everyone else listening to the leak. It's clear now as to why GNR didn't want those songs to be leaked.  Those songs simply weren't ready to be heard. They needed work. 

Nah, the more leaks the better. 

We could do with some leaks now I think- just get some more stuff out there. They don't want to commercially release this stuff, so it might as well get out there for people to hear if they want to as rot away unheard. 

I'm very much against piracy but the leaks have been nothing but positive for GNR fans in the absence of anything else going on. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, allwaystired said:

We could do with some leaks now I think- just get some more stuff out there. They don't want to commercially release this stuff, so it might as well get out there for people to hear if they want to as rot away unheard. 

I'm very much against piracy but the leaks have been nothing but positive for GNR fans in the absence of anything else going on. 

I agree. I'd love a Village locker type leak, but of all the material from 2002-2010. One can dream! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • PERHAPS 1

15 hours ago, allwaystired said:

The thing is that some of the leaked stuff was commercially released eventually. Some people would say that that happened exactly because of the leaks. But, although the leaks may have played a role, to an extent, in which songs were released and in what order, in reality the band had started reworking those CD era songs before the leaks happened. 

I was glad that I got to hear the leaks, mostly because they were a snapshot from a time we didn't know much about. But I think the reason some fans enjoy the leaks more than the official releases is because it's something that the band didn't want us to hear, like they take pleasure at the thought of hearing something that's "forbidden".

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Sweersa said:

Who you kidding? CD releases production was garbage and the new production of leftover tracks are garbage.  

Theres a reason people preferred the demos.

They need a proper mixer/engineer/producer for the tracks and to keep caram/axl away

27 minutes ago, Lethalis said:

If the band would release new music on a regular basis nobody would care about leaks.

GNR is the only band I have ever listened to the leaks... and I listen to a lot of music.

This is true

Edited by vloors

54 minutes ago, Lethalis said:

If the band would release new music on a regular basis nobody would care about leaks.

GNR is the only band I have ever listened to the leaks... and I listen to a lot of music.

Agreed. I've never heard another bands leaks, even if i hear about a song leaking, i know in 6 months it'll be out properly anyway. With GnR it might be the only chance we ever have to hear these songs. Can't blame a starving man for stealing bread. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, JimiRose said:

Agreed. I've never heard another bands leaks, even if i hear about a song leaking, i know in 6 months it'll be out properly anyway. With GnR it might be the only chance we ever have to hear these songs. Can't blame a starving man for stealing bread. 

This.

2 hours ago, vloors said:

Who you kidding? CD releases production was garbage and the new production of leftover tracks are garbage.  

Theres a reason people preferred the demos.

They need a proper mixer/engineer/producer for the tracks and to keep caram/axl away

This is true

I agree the mixing on CD largely wasn’t as good as the leaked mixes, but the mastering by Bob Ludwig was incredible. And over all production of that album better than the rehashed songs by NITL.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Blackstar said:

The thing is that some of the leaked stuff was commercially released eventually. Some people would say that that happened exactly because of the leaks. But, although the leaks may have played a role, to an extent, in which songs were released and in what order, in reality the band had started reworking those CD era songs before the leaks happened. 

I was glad that I got to hear the leaks, mostly because they were a snapshot from a time we didn't know much about. But I think the reason some fans enjoy the leaks more than the official releases is because it's something that the band didn't want us to hear, like they take pleasure at the thought of hearing something that's "forbidden".

Plus the long term connection you develop with a sound (warts and all) you've been listening to, say, for 5,6 years before the final product...you get used to all the Audio artifacts and quirks, which in most cases ironed out later...it's a nostalgic bond to what you know, just like all nostalgia! So while, sure sometimes (weirdly in GNR's case) earlier versions with a product that included multiple producers/engineers at the wheel can and will have it's preferences with different folks, it's normally a manufactured connection in the brain that unfinished leaked demoes are better....🤷‍♀️

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Lethalis said:

Well, of course it all ultimately stems from the fact that GN'R has had very little output, I'm not denying that. I'm also not denying that people may genuinely like a leaked version more for various reasons, myself included (for example, I think that the leaked versions of Cather in the Rye, The Blues and CD title track, which were pretty much finished songs in 2000, were superior than the final versions).

But I was specifically talking about leaks Vs. official releases of the same songs a while later. And there I think that the sense of enjoyment at the thought of hearing something against GN'R's will, which feels like taking something away from the band, is part of the reason for some people's preference of the leaks. Take Hard School/Hard Skool, for example, and how overwhelmingly positively the leak was received as opposed to many fans' disdain for the released version.  And whatever flaws the released version may have (the drums, the mix, the school bell, etc.) just don't justify the extent of the disdain for it.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Well, of course it all ultimately stems from the fact that GN'R has had very little output, I'm not denying that. I'm also not denying that people may genuinely like a leaked version more for various reasons, myself included (for example, I think that the leaked versions of Cather in the Rye, The Blues and CD title track, which were pretty much finished songs in 2000, were superior than the final versions).

But I was specifically talking about leaks Vs. official releases of the same songs a while later. And there I think that the sense of enjoyment at the thought of hearing something against GN'R's will, which feels like taking something away from the band, is part of the reason for some people's preference of the leaks. Take Hard School/Hard Skool, for example, and how overwhelmingly positively the leak was received as opposed to many fans' disdain for the released version.  And whatever flaws the released version may have (the drums, the mix, the school bell, etc.) just don't justify the extent of the disdain for it.

It also probably leans that way because the leaks are fresh and exciting when they come......when you hear an official version a few years down the line of one song, it's difficult for it to be that exciting.

1 hour ago, allwaystired said:

It also probably leans that way because the leaks are fresh and exciting when they come......when you hear an official version a few years down the line of one song, it's difficult for it to be that exciting.

Yep...as fans we've only really had 5,6 tracks since '94 to get excited about as an official release that will be completely fresh to us...

We can't get excited like other "normal"  bands that announce a new single coming next week and then there's genuine excitement in the lead up to what it's gonna sound like, what direction have they gone in, etc...5 or 6 times in 30 years 😮 god darn.

Axl must think, for the product quantity released, he's been a damn lucky S.O.B to keep racking it in...

Edited by colonizedmind
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, colonizedmind said:

Yep...as fans we've only really had 5,6 tracks since '94 to get excited about as an official release that will be completely fresh to us...

That is true, almost all of the songs since that time were leaked prior to official release, if that.

This I Love, Scraped, Oh My God, and Sorry I believe are examples of songs that didn't leak before release. The General too. Perhaps I missed one or two, but not Perhaps. :P 

1 hour ago, colonizedmind said:

We can't get excited like other "normal"  bands that announce a new single coming next week and then there's genuine excitement in the lead up to what it's gonna sound like, what direction have they gone in, etc...5 or 6 times in 30 years 😮 god darn.

Axl must think, for the product quantity released, he's been a damn lucky S.O.B to keep racking it in...

He lived very comfortably on royalties and then reunited with Slash when he knew he was on fumes - I think his luckiest period was managing to (mostly) sell out arenas with DJ in tow and Vegas. Given the demand for nostalgia acts (and sadly this is what GNR is now) and grown ups with lots of spare cash wanting to relive their youth - it's huge business. Definitely lucky, but he timed it right for the gravy train - I think for us fans, we're just a little disappointed that it came late for Axl's voice and it was at the sacrifice of CD II and maybe even III. There are perhaps a handful of bands could have done the same without releases, but I'm not sure any would have the same pull as Axl & Slash. Kiss being the obvious example. 

5 minutes ago, invisible_rose said:

He lived very comfortably on royalties and then reunited with Slash when he knew he was on fumes - I think his luckiest period was managing to (mostly) sell out arenas with DJ in tow and Vegas. Given the demand for nostalgia acts (and sadly this is what GNR is now) and grown ups with lots of spare cash wanting to relive their youth - it's huge business. Definitely lucky, but he timed it right for the gravy train - I think for us fans, we're just a little disappointed that it came late for Axl's voice and it was at the sacrifice of CD II and maybe even III. There are perhaps a handful of bands could have done the same without releases, but I'm not sure any would have the same pull as Axl & Slash. Kiss being the obvious example. 

Yea...but at least Kiss put out a ton of records in the heyday and even 2 or 3 in the last couple of decades

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, colonizedmind said:

Yea...but at least Kiss put out a ton of records in the heyday and even 2 or 3 in the last couple of decades

Very, very true - GNR only has a handful of albums and really only one or two that most casual fans are aware of. 

It's a cult.  Some of us remember when the follow-up to UYI wasn't supposed to take as long, not just a bunch of covers.  But it was @8 years before Axl ever even did anything again.  Then the new album was supposed to come up soon, and it was @8 more years.  Axl wouldn't have even released it if Geffen hadn't forced him to.  Then the follow-up wasn't supposed to take as long, but 8 more years passed.  Then Axl re-hired some of the earlier employees.  In the 8 years since then, they've put out a few very-old tracks of noise, and that's it.

Axl keeps his mansions and all he has to do is go "it's so easy, so fuckin easy, it's so easy, so damn easy, it's so easy, so fuckin easy, it's so easy, yeah it's so easy"  And people pay money for that.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, ChrisW said:

It's a cult.  Some of us remember when the follow-up to UYI wasn't supposed to take as long, not just a bunch of covers.  But it was @8 years before Axl ever even did anything again.  Then the new album was supposed to come up soon, and it was @8 more years.  Axl wouldn't have even released it if Geffen hadn't forced him to.  Then the follow-up wasn't supposed to take as long, but 8 more years passed.  Then Axl re-hired some of the earlier employees.  In the 8 years since then, they've put out a few very-old tracks of noise, and that's it.

Axl keeps his mansions and all he has to do is go "it's so easy, so fuckin easy, it's so easy, so damn easy, it's so easy, so fuckin easy, it's so easy, yeah it's so easy"  And people pay money for that.

Haha...you think it's his inside joke...."Ya Boi....I told them the score in the first song every night" 😆

Edited by colonizedmind
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Sweersa said:

That is true, almost all of the songs since that time were leaked prior to official release, if that.

This I Love, Scraped, Oh My God, and Sorry I believe are examples of songs that didn't leak before release. The General too. Perhaps I missed one or two, but not Perhaps. :P 

Sorry leaked b4 the official release