The "New Album" Thread. Thanks to the long ass thread, I’m going home!

20 minutes ago, ChrisW said:

Can't work both ways.  If he's aware time is passing and he won't live forever, he'd want to get as much done as possible before he dies, or he would just admit he's already done and fiddling with some 25 year old track is just a way to kill time until he's gone forever.  But this requires him to be capable of understanding that and accepting reality.  There's no evidence of any of that.

but how would you know what Axl wants to do just because he's aware time is passing and he won't live forever? especially a guy like Axl which has made choices that maybe most in his place would not make and we don't really know this person.

there's evidence Axl is highly intelligent imho and too much of what you say in your post is guess work. for all you know he's aware of all of that and more and still chooses to take his approach and live in the pace he's living in. doesn't mean he doesn't know, just that his priorities, motivations, and challenges could be different to other people.  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

Well, there is a connotation to "leftover" suggesting that it is what remains when the best has been used, which doesn't automatically apply to the unreleased songs from the Chinese Democracy sessions. People who don't like the songs will tend to use that expression because of this connotation. Similarly to saying that November Rain and Don't Cry were leftovers from Appetite. Most people wouldn't use that term to describe those songs. 

But those songs didn't take over 20 years to be released, and after the members that wrote and recorded the songs had long  been out of the band. These songs being released now have more credence to be dubbed leftovers than songs like YCBM 

I want Slash, Duff, Axl, and a drummer to get in a room with Andrew Watt. I don't think it's the best group to make a new GNR record, but Andrew has shown to get shit done with these older rock guys better than almost anyone lately.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, 2020_Intensions said:

But those songs didn't take over 20 years to be released, and after the members that wrote and recorded the songs had long  been out of the band. These songs being released now have more credence to be dubbed leftovers than songs like YCBM 

The time spent has no bearing on Axl's intentions.

Hard Skool/ Absurd
Perhaps/ The General
Monsters/ Berlin
Zodiac/ Atlas Shrugged
Tonto/ Seven

Compile it all on a record with a G and R side and a CD. Call it "Guns N' Roses or Not in this LIfetime" or something and put it as an online exclusive. 

Have a deluxe version with live selections from 2016. 

That'd be a hell of a package and very easy for them to do, eventually. 

• Like 3

Curious, would a band like Guns have archival or older reference mixes retained of songs they change over the years? For example, if they wanted to compare NITL Monsters to 2010 Soul Monster, is that easily done? Not sure what is the industry standard in whatever software they use for mixing. But I’m sure it would be advantageous to have multiple mixes to compare to and hold for potential future special releases.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Sweersa said:

Curious, would a band like Guns have archival or older reference mixes retained of songs they change over the years? For example, if they wanted to compare NITL Monsters to 2010 Soul Monster, is that easily done? Not sure what is the industry standard in whatever software they use for mixing. But I’m sure it would be advantageous to have multiple mixes to compare to and hold for potential future special releases.

They would definitely need the stems. You can't just take the master tracks and paste over them. They arent that amateur... yet.

I would guess they took the ~2006 versions of leftover songs and deleted most of the guitars and the bass, and then Slash, Richard, and Duff just played what they wanted over the vocals and other pieces. It would mean the songs' arrangements could not be changed, but the music could be altered with new guitar and bass parts. The songwriting credits to Slash and Duff are symbolic, they obviously did not write or rearrange the songs as you know. 

Edited by ZoSoRose
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, bmus1 said:

I want Slash, Duff, Axl, and a drummer to get in a room with Andrew Watt. I don't think it's the best group to make a new GNR record, but Andrew has shown to get shit done with these older rock guys better than almost anyone lately.

I think he did a great job with Hackney Diamonds, and I agree. Unfortunately, I don't think it is in the cards and I don't see Axl having another record built from scratch left in him. 

25 minutes ago, ZoSoRose said:

I think he did a great job with Hackney Diamonds, and I agree. Unfortunately, I don't think it is in the cards and I don't see Axl having another record built from scratch left in him. 

Something like this would be the way to go. Forget about the rest of the Chinese leftovers, just write and record 12 tunes. Like musicians do. 

1 minute ago, El Guapo said:

Something like this would be the way to go. Forget about the rest of the Chinese leftovers, just write and record 12 tunes. Like musicians do. 

Agreed. And don’t let Axl have final say about production issues. He has proven to be terrible in terms of approving quality releases 

2 hours ago, Rovim said:

but how would you know what Axl wants to do just because he's aware time is passing and he won't live forever? especially a guy like Axl which has made choices that maybe most in his place would not make and we don't really know this person.

there's evidence Axl is highly intelligent imho and too much of what you say in your post is guess work. for all you know he's aware of all of that and more and still chooses to take his approach and live in the pace he's living in. doesn't mean he doesn't know, just that his priorities, motivations, and challenges could be different to other people.  

Because there's no other option.  If he wants to get more done and time is passing, he'll have to do it before he dies.  If he wants to get more done and thinks he'll never die, then he can waste all the time in the world and not even notice before he actually gets anything done.  The people who helped finance his incredibly wealthy lifestyle will just have to die in ignorance.  The cooks in his mansion don't get to spend decades deciding exactly what recipe they'll serve Axl tonight and not until they're ready to cook it.  The plumbers in his mansion don't get to apply this policy to keeping the toilets functioning.  But the people who surround Axl only tell him how different and special he is, so there's no reason to bring up that time is passing and death gets closer every day.

9 minutes ago, ChrisW said:

Because there's no other option.  If he wants to get more done and time is passing, he'll have to do it before he dies.  If he wants to get more done and thinks he'll never die, then he can waste all the time in the world and not even notice before he actually gets anything done.  The people who helped finance his incredibly wealthy lifestyle will just have to die in ignorance.  The cooks in his mansion don't get to spend decades deciding exactly what recipe they'll serve Axl tonight and not until they're ready to cook it.  The plumbers in his mansion don't get to apply this policy to keeping the toilets functioning.  But the people who surround Axl only tell him how different and special he is, so there's no reason to bring up that time is passing and death gets closer every day.

you're presenting it like Axl is as old as David Attenborough. Before he dies, in this lifetime, there is still probably enough time to live his life the way he chooses to and complete and release a final Gn'R album all the while being perfectly aware that his time on this earth is finite. 

the cooks and the plumbers don't exactly share Axl's lifestyle either (basically living like a king) when you're as rich as Axl is, it allows you to use your time to do mostly whatever the fuck you want, and spend your time focusing on your interests instead of the everyday shit most people must invest their time in.

it also affords you the best of everything, including doctors, food, and just in general, shit that extends your life to some degree. all these things should be considered when discussing about how much time Axl still got to extend the Gn'R catalog in a more meaningful way and again, Axl does his own thing and seems like a pretty unique person that none of us actually know, but my guess is that he's very aware of himself like I've said previously.

there's technically still time for him to make it happen imo.

• Like 1

It doesn't matter how old Axl is, time only goes one direction.  What date and time is his death scheduled for?  If that can't be answered, no sensible person would act like time can be maximized before inevitable death arrives, and they wouldn't want to be surrounded people who think it can.  But that's not Axl.

In a few months, people who weren't born when Chinese Democracy came out will be getting drivers licenses.  Joe Biden was still a Senator and Axl said the sequel would be out when Geffen got tired of promoting the first album.  Someone who accepted reality and had any respect for the people who got him a mansion would have a reason to explain the truth, but that's not Axl.

7 hours ago, ChrisW said:

It doesn't matter how old Axl is, time only goes one direction.  What date and time is his death scheduled for?  If that can't be answered, no sensible person would act like time can be maximized before inevitable death arrives, and they wouldn't want to be surrounded people who think it can.  But that's not Axl.

In a few months, people who weren't born when Chinese Democracy came out will be getting drivers licenses.  Joe Biden was still a Senator and Axl said the sequel would be out when Geffen got tired of promoting the first album.  Someone who accepted reality and had any respect for the people who got him a mansion would have a reason to explain the truth, but that's not Axl.

first of all, Axl never said anything about a sequel that would be out when Geffen got tired of promoting the first album. no idea where you got that from.

second: have you noticed how Axl doesn't promise anything anymore when it comes to new material? won't even talk about it until after a release of a piece of music and even then, he doesn't go into detail. no release dates, but also not saying it will never happen. maybe he does this to avoid putting pressure on himself and to not get our hopes up.

I think Axl functions as a musician mainly for himself, not us. we can talk about respect until we're blue in the face, doesn't change the fact that Axl has the power and the means to live his life the way he wants to live it which seems to be without the pressure of a deadline when it comes to his music. that's Axl it seems.

tommorow is not promised to anyone sure, but the point here I think, that should Axl choose to release more music, there's a chance it would happen, still. maybe he'll just finish what he started with the Chinese era material, maybe eventually an album beyond that, or maybe nothing at all.

it's his choice cause it's not against the law to not be prolific and it's been long enough imo, for us to accept the situation for what it is: Axl is not a prolific musician and lives according to his own prefernces which include taking shit super slow. the sooner you accept it, the better and you can enjoy what we do have. At least Axl still seems open to sharing more Gn'R music with the rest of the world. it's not great, but it's better than nothing.

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Rovim said:

it's his choice cause it's not against the law to not be prolific and it's been long enough imo, for us to accept the situation for what it is: Axl is not a prolific musician and lives according to his own prefernces which include taking shit super slow. the sooner you accept it, the better and you can enjoy what we do have. At least Axl still seems open to sharing more Gn'R music with the rest of the world. it's not great, but it's better than nothing.

You're completely right, but I think some fans will never be able to accept that. I don't know why, because it would be so easy to just accept that Axl doesn't live his life or run his band the way they want it, but I guess it's simply too hard for them to come to terms with that. So in 5 years if there will still be no new album (which is a real possibility), they will still be here (if this place still exists) and be as frustrated as ever and bitch about how Axl isn't like other musicians, while they could have accepted it a long time ago like other fans and just enjoy the band for what it is. I guess people are quite different, eh?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, EvanG said:

You're completely right, but I think some fans will never be able to accept that. I don't know why, because it would be so easy to just accept that Axl doesn't live his life or run his band the way they want it, but I guess it's simply too hard for them to come to terms with that. So in 5 years if there will still be no new album (which is a real possibility), they will still be here (if this place still exists) and be as frustrated as ever and bitch about how Axl isn't like other musicians, while they could have accepted it a long time ago like other fans and just enjoy the band for what it is. I guess people are quite different, eh?

I can only speak for myself, but from my own experience, just in general, I found that acceptance seems difficult. especially when you don't want to do it. easier to not accept reality and to find fault with anyone but yourself. 

it extends to shit people are attached to, even if it's just entertainment. the gap between what they want it to be and what it really is makes it too frustrating for them, especially when they feel entitled cause other sources provide more of what they expect to get or function in an approach that they find more reasonable.

shitting on someone or something is also an effective coping mechanism for many, a chance to blow off some steam cause life is hard and some people don't shy away from using whatever ability to have to lighten the emotional everyday load. like playing a victim and bitch crying, or laughing about it.

I believe you can reach the point of acceptance when you see how limiting and childish it is to always use defense mechanisms that keeps you locked out from fully enjoying what you have, but again it comes with the price of letting the silly shit go by being honest with yourself and a lot of people are not really interested in that cause it's easier to never grow up.

(I don't think I've said anything you didn't already know in this post, I just find it an interesting topic to discuss and am in a blabbermouth kinda mood right now) 

• GNFNR 1

9 minutes ago, Rovim said:

I can only speak for myself, but from my own experience, just in general, I found that acceptance seems difficult. especially when you don't want to do it. easier to not accept reality and to find fault with anyone but yourself. 

it extends to shit people are attached to, even if it's just entertainment. the gap between what they want it to be and what it really is makes it too frustrating for them, especially when they feel entitled cause other sources provide more of what they expect to get or function in an approach that they find more reasonable.

shitting on someone or something is also an effective coping mechanism for many, a chance to blow off some steam cause life is hard and some people don't shy away from using whatever ability to have to lighten the emotional everyday load. like playing a victim and bitch crying, or laughing about it.

I believe you can reach the point of acceptance when you see how limiting and childish it is to always use defense mechanisms that keeps you locked out from fully enjoying what you have, but again it comes with the price of letting the silly shit go by being honest with yourself and a lot of people are not really interested in that cause it's easier to never grow up.

(I don't think I've said anything you didn't already know in this post, I just find it an interesting topic to discuss and am in a blabbermouth kinda mood right now) 

I agree. Acceptance can be hard for me too depending on the topic of course. In the case of GnR, I don't really know any different. This band has been slow and different from the rest since the very beginning. By the 90s I already accepted this and took them for what they are. Sometimes I wonder if I'm simply not as big of a fan as those on here who are always so frustrated and disappointed, but I don't know. I wish Axl had been more prolific as much as anyone else and that this band would handle a lot of things differently, but it's been this way for so long, and at the end of the day, I have so much more to worry about in my life than a rock n roll band, so I've accepted it a long time ago that this is how they (or should I say Axl) operates. Doesn't mean I like it, but it is what it is. I think I'm just better at accepting.
But I think you're right, for some all the bitching about something like this can simply be a coping mechanism or just a way to blow off steam from their life or whatever, but I personally think that's quite silly. But to each their own, I suppose.

• Like 1

This is an evergreen topic, and it should never be perceived as one-sided. It’s true that people should come to terms with certain things, I agree. But then, where else would you vent your "frustration" other than on a fan forum? Try telling this shit your wife/partner every day and see how long it will take before they tell you to piss of with this. And as for this alleged frustration, it always has been here and always will be. It’s not about entitlement or desperation or god knows what. It’s about being in contact on a daily basis with something you’ve loved for a large part of your life. And since this thing is GN'R, which operates in mysterious ways, it indeed can get tedious and frustrating in the sense when you see how other bands operate, what coulda been but wasn’t, what still could be yet... tempus fugit. 
After some time, sure, you sort of resign or come to terms with it. But then something happens, like another botched release or another "soon, we all wanna do it, things are coming" for an umpteenth time, and the circle starts again, inevitably. All these fans’ criticized reactions are absolutely natural in most cases. You can always find strawman/negative examples of folks who indeed do nothing else but complain, but that’s like 1% and the rest just react normally, i.e. sometimes they’re positive, sometimes negative (like myself). (Although if you only wanna focus on the negative, then the negative is all you’ll see around you.) And god knows this band hasn’t been giving us plenty of positive things to be happy about recently. Yeah, yeah, new deep cuts, a few old demos, sure. 
So it shouldn’t be about wanting everyone to see it your way. After all, if you’re talking about coming to terms with some reality, then you yourselves should also come to terms with the fact some people will react like this most of the time. That’s acceptance which should be done on your part for a change. Otherwise we’ll get this never-ending complaining about complaining, which is what’s been going on here quite a lot as well. 
I always say, look at things from all sorts of sides (and definitely at least two). 
I think ya all catch my drift. 

Edited by jamillos
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, jamillos said:

This is an evergreen topic, and it should never be perceived as one-sided. It’s true that people should come to terms with certain things, I agree. But then, where else would you vent your "frustration" other than on a fan forum? 

The problem to begin with is that they are frustrated. They ought to feel a bit embarrassed about themselves for still not getting over the fact that Guns N' Roses doesn't release music frequently. I mean, how many years of frustration does it take for people to wise up and stop being frustrated over something that they can't affect the slightest? Like getting frustrated over a intrinsic part of nature. Are they frustrated over humans not having wings, too? "Aaaargh, why can't we have wing, I want to flyyyyyy!" I have no sympathy for fans of this band who has been around for a while and still hasn't taken to heart that GN'R in many ways do not operate as a normal band and if they keep expecting it to operate as a normal band they will keep getting disappointed. Complaining to one's spouse because a rock band doesn't release enough music is grounds for divorce immediately...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SoulMonster said:

The problem to begin with is that they are frustrated. They ought to feel a bit embarrassed about themselves for still not getting over the fact that Guns N' Roses doesn't release music frequently. I mean, how many years of frustration does it take for people to wise up and stop being frustrated over something that they can't affect the slightest? Like getting frustrated over a intrinsic part of nature. Are they frustrated over humans not having wings, too? "Aaaargh, why can't we have wing, I want to flyyyyyy!" I have no sympathy for fans of this band who has been around for a while and still hasn't taken to heart that GN'R in many ways do not operate as a normal band and if they keep expecting it to operate as a normal band they will keep getting disappointed. Complaining to one's spouse because a rock band doesn't release enough music is grounds for divorce immediately...

My point was the frustration is merely quote unquote. Not a real thing, just natural intermediate reaction. I could use the same token and say you guys seem to be frustrated all the time about some people complaining. Well, are you? That's for yourselves to answer. 

Still the same story.

35 minutes ago, jamillos said:

My point was the frustration is merely quote unquote. Not a real thing, just natural intermediate reaction. I could use the same token and say you guys seem to be frustrated all the time about some people complaining. Well, are you? That's for yourselves to answer. 

Still the same story.

Oh, I think people are absolutely frustrated by the band :lol:

No, I am not frustrated by people whining and complaining. I like pointing it out, though.

And here we go again, making excuses and Axl-splaining why those of us who want to hear more music should simply accept “the process”. 4 “new” songs have been officially released, of which only one is halfway decent. The rest wouldn’t even be worthy as fillers on the Illusions. And the only song that we have heard that was good, Monsters, is yet to be officially released. 

outside of Slash and Duff, what else is there to talk about these days? Of course people are going to complain about 4 songs released in the 8 years since the semi reunion

• Like 1

Jeez, everyone wants to hear new music, that's not the point. But it's not your band, so what else can you do but accept it or move on. Do you think constantly complaining about it is going to speed up how they operate? If so, this band would have been a totally different animal by now. But I guess it's about what has been said before, some strange coping mechanism. And whether you think the songs are decent or not, is totally subjective and not relevant at all.

6 minutes ago, EvanG said:

Jeez, everyone wants to hear new music, that's not the point. But it's not your band, so what else can you do but accept it or move on. Do you think constantly complaining about it is going to speed up how they operate? If so, this band would have been a totally different animal by now. But I guess it's about what has been said before, some strange coping mechanism. And whether you think the songs are decent or not, is totally subjective and not relevant at all.

Fans can and will give their opinions on the quality of the music any time they feel like it. If that’s not relevant to a topic about a potential new album then there is no point in having this thread.