09/28/23 - Houston, TX - Minute Maid Park

downzy

4 hours ago, Illusion1987 said:

I think it might have something to do with the High Humidity climate somehow helping with his voice.

We were joking that the next vocal tracks he records needs to be in a studio in Houston with no AC.

I think you are onto something. The times I've seen them in Florida, Axl always sounds above average for the time period. Lord knows it's humid here!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Cosmo said:

That was the best Perhaps I saw so far. He still does unnecessary mickey on the verses and still sings the part that I think duff and melissa should handle on the chorus, but still the best one so far. There was even some sign of rasp in the chorus, wasn't there?

I don't think the mickey on the verses is "unnecesary". He tried doing it with his chest voice and failed several times, there's no need to keep pushing it if his voice won't let him ...

1 hour ago, BreakDown2014 said:

I don't think the mickey on the verses is "unnecesary". He tried doing it with his chest voice and failed several times, there's no need to keep pushing it if his voice won't let him ...

I know very little about singing techniques, but he could just sing all the verses in his normal speaking voice instead of switching on certain lines, couldn't he?

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

I know very little about singing techniques, but he could just sing all the verses in his normal speaking voice instead of switching on certain lines, couldn't he?

That's how it sounds on the record, not sure why he's singing it the way he is... but it's getting better

• Like 3

4 hours ago, dallasgnrfan said:

Just now getting a chance to get on here and reflect on the show.  Maybe I'm biased because of the energy that GNR brings or that I haven't seen the band since Dallas 2021, but they were f'ing spectacular last night.

Axl sounded the best I've heard him-- I need to go back and watch a few youtube vids, but I don't remember much mickey at all and he was absolutely bringing it the entire night.  I don't recall him ever moving around this much or genuinely having this much fun.

The sound was awesome -- well mixed, great volume and both Slash and Richard's guitar tones were perfect, particularly when they were boosted for solos.

Setlist was amazing - Street of Dreams was a treat and definitely think Slash played it with a more fitting, composed solo than some of the noodling I've heard previously - in fact, I think a lot of his noodling was cut down in general.  For me, 9 songs out of the 30 played that I hadn't heard live yet. 

I don't know how to post pics on here - so I dropped a few pics and videos into a dropbox link below - Slash cut his finger on his picking hand during PTU and you can see blood under his bridge pickup on Jessica - very rock n' roll!

Other highlights:

Slash yelling 'Hey Fuckers' before Reckless Life was awesome... Perhaps sounded AMAZING, great song live... even songs that are more difficult for Axl [NR, SCOM, etc.] he was giving it 110% effort and they really did sound great.

Overall:  This was possibly my favorite GNR show to date - I'm incredibly grateful the band is still out there touring and pouring every ounce of effort into 3 hr + shows.  I'm very happy and humbled to have seen the band last night. 

Enjoy the pics and videos!

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fo/iosxhaf0lk2q7xvi2ygod/h?rlkey=a3hsaas3d5a66ja3yaqcyl0ab&dl=0

Awesome, thanks for sharing!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, BreakDown2014 said:

If he can’t sing that verse with his normal speaking voice, I don’t think he’s in shape to tour at all. It’s an easy part, nothing special at all.

39 minutes ago, Cosmo said:

If he can’t sing that verse with his normal speaking voice, I don’t think he’s in shape to tour at all. It’s an easy part, nothing special at all.

It's not that he can't sing it in his normal speaking voice (he obviously can). He has just chosen to sing it the way he does for incomprehensible - at least to us - reasons.

Just now, Blackstar said:

It's not that he can't sing it in his normal speaking voice (he obviously can). He has just chosen to sing it the way he does for incomprehensible - at least to us - reasons.

Exactly. This is why I was questioning his choice to do so.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

I don't think it's an artistic choice. He has a naturally low speaking voice which has deepened as he's aged. The verses in Perhaps and Hardskool are similar singing styles and in both he just can't reach the same notes in his natural voice as when he recorded the vocals so has to slip in and out of falsetto. Same kind of thing in Nightrain when he hits the "I can tell you honey" bit and slips from chest voice into a weak falsetto 

6 minutes ago, Caedo said:

I don't think it's an artistic choice. He has a naturally low speaking voice which has deepened as he's aged. The verses in Perhaps and Hardskool are similar singing styles and in both he just can't reach the same notes in his natural voice as when he recorded the vocals so has to slip in and out of falsetto. Same kind of thing in Nightrain when he hits the "I can tell you honey" bit and slips from chest voice into a weak falsetto 

I'm not sure about that. Since he can sing the second half of Estranged in his speaking voice (like he did at one show - Lexington, iirc), I don't get why he couldn't sing the verses of Perhaps like that or like he sings Patience.

• Like 1

On 9/29/2023 at 12:49 AM, Flayer said:

I went with low expectations based on the earlier shows in the tour, but they really rocked tonight. Axl sounds like he does these days, strong on the low songs and weak on the high ones, but he wasn’t drowning on anything tonight and when you’re there live, the sound of the music is loud enough to obscure the weak falsetto.

The setlist was the best of any GNR show I’ve been to. Alice in Chains as an opener was a real treat. Slash’s playing tonight was phenomenal. I haven’t been all that impressed with it at the previous reunion shows I’ve caught, but tonight you really felt the presence of a guitar god.

I would actually rate tonight a better show all around than the last time I saw Guns in Houston back in 2021.

Forgot to mention, I brought a friend along who had never been to a big rock concert before or really listened to much GNR besides the hits on the radio. He ended up having a blast and being really impressed by the show, particularly with just how long they were able to play for (somewhere between two and a half and three hours, I think). Other funny feedback: “I’m trying to keep count of which is happening more, Axl changing shirts or Slash changing guitars.”

Other notes: the acoustics and the mixing were excellent, one of the clearest sounding shows that I’ve been to. None of the solos sounded phoned in at all.

Estranged was the highlight of the show for me. Really enjoyed that performance. Reckless Life was the worst, sounded like a mess and you could barely make out one word of it.

The setlist has also noticeably shifted to include a larger share of songs in his lower register. Between It’s So Easy, Brownstone, DOTF, Chinese, Bad Obsession, Pretty Tied Up, DTJ, Absurd, Wichita Lineman, Don’t Cry, and Patience, almost half the show is using his lower vocals. 

Edited by Flayer
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Blackstar said:

I'm not sure about that. Since he can sing the second half of Estranged in his speaking voice (like he did at one show - Lexington, iirc), I don't get why he couldn't sing the verses of Perhaps like that or like he sings Patience.

Yes. Patience doesn't get high until thr end.  Ans he's done the end high and normal.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Blackstar said:

Those examples don't really disprove my point. The notes in the parts of Perhaps that he sings falsetto are just at a higher pitch than Patience or Estranged an octave down. His natural voice just has a very limited range these days 

3 hours ago, Caedo said:

I'm 100% with you on this. I actually said the same thing on another thread and some people insist that it's just Axl's choice to sing in falsetto in those parts and he could perfectly sing those parts with his chest voice.

On the first few live performances of Perhaps he tried attempting some of the hey heys and lines with his chest voice and he failed several times, leading to the typical cracks in his voice. I'm glad he finally found the way to sing it properly even if it means using falsetto.

1 hour ago, Caedo said:

Those examples don't really disprove my point. The notes in the parts of Perhaps that he sings falsetto are just at a higher pitch than Patience or Estranged an octave down. His natural voice just has a very limited range these days 

Even if that's the case, in the way he's singing it now it doesn't sound like on the record anyway, so maybe the result would be better if he went an octave lower and use his natural voice.

But, like I said, my knowledge is very limited. I'd like to hear more opinions from people who have a better understanding and knowledge of this stuff, e.g. people who sing themselves.

• alfierose unpinned this topic
  • 2 weeks later...