07/22/23 - Athens, GR - Olympic Stadium

downzy

^ I think KOHD mostly gets shit among those of us who have heard it so much to where a long jam is sort of the same old same old at this point.  But the casuals really do like it

I remember going with someone to see GNR in 2016 and he specifically said KOHD was one of his favorites because they changed the feel of the song compared to the studio version and it gave the song new life for him

• Like 4

Just now, WhazUp said:

^ I think KOHD mostly gets shit among those of us who have heard it so much to where a long jam is sort of the same old same old at this point.  But the casuals really do like it

I remember going with someone to see GNR in 2016 and he specifically said KOHD was one of his favorites because they changed the feel of the song compared to the studio version and it gave the song new life for him

Nothing wrong with the song itself, but it doesn't need to be 12 minutes long!

• Like 4

Dunno if anyone else noticed but towards the end around Locomotive or so they played the first few piano keys of Perhaps and Axl said ‘that was just a tease’

Bit annoying they didn’t just play it but great show regardless Axl was in great form and Slash was just excellent as always. Bit too hot for a concert though few people fainted up the front 

• Like 2
  • Wow 2

According to Ticketmaster, a couple of hours before show time there were about 700 tickets left (about 300 in the arena and the rest in sections 29 (expensive tickets), 6 and 30. So one would expect that attendance would be at least 60,000-65,000 (maximum capacity of the stadium for concerts with the usual stage setup must be about 75,000, judging from the tickets sold for Madonna's show a few years back).

2023_010.png

But apparently not all sections that appeared to be unavailable were really sold out, especially the cheapest ones (yellow and purple). In pictures and videos taken at the beginning of the GN'R set those sections looked empty, although in videos taken later in the show they seemed more crowded (but still half empty). I'd been checking the website constantly since tickets went on sale (because I didn't know if would eventually make it to the show) and the yellow sections never appeared to be available (some of the purple ones appeared only once). I find it hard to believe that they were sold out within the first day. Apparently Ticketmaster wanted to push the more expensive tickets.

Greek news sites today estimate attendance at 40,000, but from the videos it looks it was bigger, maybe 50,000.

It should be noted that this is a very big venue for Greek standards and only a handful of acts have sold it out. I think that only U2 and Madonna have as far as international artists go.

• Thanks 2

42 minutes ago, Dan1992 said:

Dunno if anyone else noticed but towards the end around Locomotive or so they played the first few piano keys of Perhaps and Axl said ‘that was just a tease’

Bit annoying they didn’t just play it but great show regardless Axl was in great form and Slash was just excellent as always. Bit too hot for a concert though few people fainted up the front 

Oh shit, we need video evidence of this! Surely US leg it is unveiled then... 

43 minutes ago, Dan1992 said:

Any clips about this??

4 minutes ago, Dani_1455 said:

Any clips about this??

I’ve none. Was about 1 or 2 second piano intro they stopped and Axl said ‘that was just a tease’. Not 100% what song it came after or before but it was around 30 minutes before the end of the show

• Like 1

Guys here in Greek we hear mainly Greek  music . That means that 50.000 was super . Iron maiden had less before one year . And thing that there was 40 Celsius hot. Many bought tickets and stayed home . And local myth ( found no evidence ) 1993 there was 15.000 people only . So it made yesterdays concert  a super hit . Amazing 

Edited by nickzark
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, Dan1992 said:

I’ve none. Was about 1 or 2 second piano intro they stopped and Axl said ‘that was just a tease’. Not 100% what song it came after or before but it was around 30 minutes before the end of the show

Thanks I will take a look to see if I can find It, was in the time between the finish of one song and the start of another?

1 hour ago, Dan1992 said:

You sure? Just checked a video and I didn't hear it.

7 minutes ago, Dani_1455 said:

Thanks I will take a look to see if I can find It, was in the time between the finish of one song and the start of another?

It was definitely after Sweet Child because my friends left when they played that and they missed it. And it would have been before Slash’s happy birthday that’s all I could say for certain. Possibly after November Rain maybe but I’m just not 100%. 

10 minutes ago, Dani_1455 said:

And yeah sorry it was between before they started one song in between songs

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nickzark said:

. And local myth ( found no evidence ) 1993 there was 15.000 people only . So it made yesterdays concert  a super hit . Amazing 

I was there in 1993 and the number seems accurate as far as how many people were there with a ticket. At first, the upper decks were all empty and there were lots of empty seats in the lower ones (not even the arena was full). Then the organizers let people without tickets in and it was about half full. That show was a failure, mostly because tickets were extremely expensive for the time, but also because Metallica were playing here (for the first time as well) about a month later in a significantly smaller venue, with lower ticket prices and a strong opening act (The Cult).

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 2
  • Wow 3