06/24/23 - Pilton, GB - Glastonbury Festival **TIMES & STREAM INFO IN FIRST POST**

alfierose

5 minutes ago, alfierose said:

I sort of get that if you've paid no attention to GNR since about 1992 then watching him again at 61 might feel a bit negative. There will be a fair amount of those people.

If they knew about The Bridge School they'd know better. :lol:

Absolutely right. 

I was having a conversation with a mate who appreciates Guns, and when I said he was 61 he immediately said how does he sound this good. 

That gets lost in every write up and frankly on this board. There were moments tonight where he pulled out rasp that it makes no biological sense to come out of a 61 year old. That should be the headline really. 

Edited by prettytiedup88
  • Like 4

22 minutes ago, DSTK said:

The article is getting panned in the comments on twitter, I don’t think most saw it that way at all. Overall there are some comments on Axl’s vocals and the poor mix but overall a lot more people saying it’s great than otherwise. 

Unfortunately guns are an easy target for hacks like this guy - most of them probably had decided what to write last week - except for having to scramble around at the last minute to delete the prewritten drivel about turning up late. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, alfierose said:

I sort of get that if you've paid no attention to GNR since about 1992 then watching him again at 61 might feel a bit negative. There will be a fair amount of those people.

If they knew about The Bridge School they'd know better. :lol:

This is too true!

• Like 1

I'm sorry to say it, but the sound engineer is not to blame. It's been like this for a while at shows. When Axl goes for his falsetto/mix he loses all power and drops below the band. It would literally be one persons job to ride the gain/volume controls up and down multiple times throughout every song all night in order for Axl to be heard consistently. When he sings in his lower register or belts like in LALD the vocal returns to the mix. It's 100% a projection issue. The sound engineers hands are tied, you can only do so much when the source is giving you a weak signal. The other option is max out the gain and have feedback all night. Other option is too lower the volume of the rest of the band and have every thing sound weak.

Hopefully some of these comments make it back to management, but I have seen these comments before for other bands and the singers 9/10 blame the engineer. I mentioned this a few days about seeing Hall and Oates where Daryl was singing light like Axl dropping below the band, Daryl heard the front row saying they couldn't hear him so he asks the engineer to turn him up. Then for the rest of the gig is was the job of the engineer and monitor engineer to keep the system from feedbacking and you still could barely hear him sometimes. I guarantee the engineer was doing everything that could be done for GNR here.

From the phone clip I heard the band mix sounded incredible the drums sound so much better!

I was out while the gig was on so I haven't seen this performance yet, but the reviews seem to be consistent that Axls voice was dropping in and out and hard to hear.

Nothing that cannot be repaired, but he has to first of all acknowledge he needs some work, and then he has to do the work. He can definitely at the minimum get his mickey voice sounding powerful again.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, prettytiedup88 said:

Absolutely right. 

I was having a conversation with a mate who appreciates Guns, and when I said he was 61 he immediately said how does he sound this good. 

That gets lost in every write up and frankly on this board. There were moments tonight where he pulled out rasp that it makes no biological sense to come out of a 61 year old. That should be the headline really. 

Exactly. He is 61 singing all these songs in the original key doing 2.5 to 3hr shows. He could sound better, but people's expectations are kinda insane... they really do expect him to sound as good as he did when he was like 31. Like I said, he could be doing more to help himself but some people are going to slate him whether he put on a good show or not. I think we all kinda knew the reaction would be mixed and that Axls voice would be a big target. I mean they were lighting up Artic Monkeys, and people mostly agree on loving them in the UK

There should be a dedicated section on this forum praising a man for being 61 and sounding like he does. 

What are we going to be doing at 61? Not screaming our lungs out during LALD like Axl Rose i'll tell you now. 

Say what you want but the man's approaching state pension in the UK and just headlined the premier festival in such a manor that he could be 20 years younger. For all the negativity there should be a dedicated thread that you can just throw in a load of appreciation for what he still brings gig after gig. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, prettytiedup88 said:

There should be a dedicated section on this forum praising a man for being 61 and sounding like he does. 

What are we going to be doing at 61? Not screaming our lungs out during LALD like Axl Rose i'll tell you now. 

Say what you want but the man's approaching state pension in the UK and just headlined the premier festival in such a manor that he could be 20 years younger. For all the negativity there should be a dedicated thread that you can just throw in a load of appreciation for what he still brings gig after gig. 

There is an Axl appreciation thread😄 

• Haha 2

Checking in for the first time in a while, but that performance once again reminded me why Guns N' Roses has always been, and will be my favourite band of all time. Axl Rose, has energy that most frontman will never be able to show, Slash is incredibly timeless, Duff McKagan is a brilliant bass player, Melissa Reese consistently showcases her amazing talents, not to mention the brilliance that Richard Fortus, Frank Ferrer and Dizzy Reed bring to this legendary band. The best. :headbang:

Edited by Affirmation
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, baldek said:

I've been around on this forum since 2006. That's 17 years. I'll be honest, never have I ever seen a positive response like this one.

What a fucking moment - delighted that we get to share this band between ourselves!

138 posts since 2006. Do we all smell or something? :lol: 

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

I'm happy to read this. 

Especially this part.   'At 61, Rose's vocals aren't what they once were, but he can still pull off a wolverine yowl when he warms up - and his snarling delivery remains convincingly menacing. (Some TV viewers complained his microphone was too quiet, but in the field he cut through the swathes of guitar like a knife through butter).'

• Like 2

1 minute ago, allwaystired said:

Amazing how the 'on time' boring crap is STILL a big thing after 7 or so years of being on time.....

https://www.nme.com/news/music/fans-react-to-guns-n-roses-starting-glastonbury-set-on-time-3460723

It's kind of like that joke which ends with the punchline 'but you shag one sheep'

There's some reputations you just can't escape. :rofl-lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, prettytiedup88 said:

Absolutely right. 

My girlfriend is a casual fan of GnR, she was impressed by Axl tonight, noting he could still get most of the notes, maybe weaker but that's no problem if he is still managing it.

What really impressed her was the sheer energy levels of the set. She was surprised that he is in his 60s and still moving around pretty freely, no obvious stiffness there. Indeed that could be said of the whole band as well.

Great job to the band, this is by far the most positive reaction I've seen about the band since 2016 shows. Great set, great energy, tight performance.