Using AI to give Axl Rose´s voice back

2 hours ago, Billy Cundy said:

Death of music. Streaming put the industry on life support. AI will kill it dead. I think the whole thing is despicable. Soulless.

Music won’t die. In the 80s it was major labels that had the music industry on life support. It was almost like AI. Same shit, same bands, same looks, same cheesy sound. “The Industry” is the last place to look for anything to do with real music. It picks a band and says like this, buy this. But who were they to ever decide what art was? 

Underground music is alive and well and always will be. 

14 minutes ago, Powderfinger said:

Music won’t die. In the 80s it was major labels that had the music industry on life support. It was almost like AI. Same shit, same bands, same looks, same cheesy sound. “The Industry” is the last place to look for anything to do with real music. It picks a band and says like this, buy this. But who were they to ever decide what art was? 

Yeah, music will never die out. People will always enjoy playing music and listening to music. Only if we changes in fundamental ways will music die out. 

But the music industry will definitely change, and continue to change.

21 minutes ago, Powderfinger said:

You’re more optimistic than I am. Music won’t die but people being able to maintain a career within it and create something great will die. 

also, I fundamentally disagree with the ‘industry’ being the last place to look for great music. GNR were signed to Geffen. Every band worth discussing owe a debt to ‘the industry’

Edited by Billy Cundy

The implications of the technology will plague ‘human’ music too. I think most modern music, particularly heavy rock, metal and pop, sound dire because everyone uses the same drum samples, the same amp modellers, melodyne, and all the same obnoxious digital software to homogenise the music. AI will seep into our studios. It will seep into mixing, like beat detective has seeped into drumming and removed all life and feel from a drum take. Feel and groove and interplay will die out. People will use AI to mix and pitch correct. It’ll kill what made all the records we love great. 

Edited by Billy Cundy
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Billy Cundy said:

You’re more optimistic than I am. Music won’t die but people being able to maintain a career within it and create something great will die. 

In a way it’s always been like this.
I have at least 3-400 demo tapes and CDs of bands back in the 90s no one has ever heard of, some really great music. Truth is most people never made a career out of music. It’s always been that way. For every Band the major labels present to you, there’s 1000 bands behind that band just as good. The “music industry” is just fashion trends, whatever is popular at any given time is what they sell you. 

Playing in a band is mostly like playing 5 a side soccer, your not playing for Man United, but you’re still having fun. Playing music will always be fun.  

9 minutes ago, Billy Cundy said:

also, I fundamentally disagree with the ‘industry’ being the last place to look for great music. GNR were signed to Geffen. Every band worth discussing owe a debt to ‘the industry’

I don't think AI will replace musicians. A large part of loving music is always connecting to, idolizing, getting that personal connection to the musicians themselves. Can you imagine kids having posters on the walls of computers and binary code? No, they will want to have poster of guitar players there, rappers, singers, etc. That is part of human nature, and algorithms can't replace it. You can't extricate musicians from music. So at that level AI can never replace what we have today. 

Additionally, I am not entirely convinced we are on the verge of AI being able to truly create innovation in music, to create novelty. AI is good at emulating existing artists and genres, like writing songs based on existing models and patterns. The creativity needed for great music isn't that easy to program into algorithms. And the rules for what makes good music good, is also not so easy to program, partly because those rules are somewhat unknown but also because what becomes a hit and what becomes a popular band goes beyond the mere music but has to do with what aligns with the current overall zeitgeist and what resonates with changes in culture and society.

So going back to my comment about not having problems with AI music. I don't. But I also don't foresee that it will ruin music and music industry as some here seems to take for granted.  

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Powderfinger said:

In a way it’s always been like this.
I have at least 3-400 demo tapes and CDs of bands back in the 90s no one has ever heard of, some really great music. Truth is most people never made a career out of music. It’s always been that way. For every Band the major labels present to you, there’s 1000 bands behind that band just as good. The “music industry” is just fashion trends, whatever is popular at any given time is what they sell you. 

Playing in a band is mostly like playing 5 a side soccer, your not playing for Man United, but you’re still having fun. Playing music will always be fun.  

I disagree, shit doesn’t float. I’ve been in and around the music biz for years, endless gigs and showcases, been on hundreds of bills of up and coming bands. The ones who have the magic ‘wow’ factor do tend to be the ones who make some kind of name. It’s a brutal meritocracy, but isn’t that for the best? 

• Thanks 1

Just now, Billy Cundy said:

The implications of the technology will plague ‘human’ music too. I think most modern music, particularly heavy rock, metal and pop, sound dire because everyone uses the same drum samples, the same amp modellers, melodyne, and all the same obnoxious digital software to homogenise their music. AI will seep into our studios. It will seep into mixing, like beat detective has seeped into drumming and removed all life and feel from a drum take. Feel and groove and interplay will die out. People will use AI to mix and pitch correct. It’ll kill what made all the records we love great. 

You can look towards the late 80s and see this happened within mainstream rock music. The 80s drum sound was as processed as you could get. Metal was all about precision and speed. The 80s rock dude look was a processed look even. All it took to rid the world of that 80s cock rock was a voice like Kurt Cobains. The raw emotion in his voice and the sloppy human quality to Nirvanas muwic just cut through that fake studio sound of every other band at the time.

I guess I see AI music as fake, and there’s already been a lot of fake music out there for years anyway. AI is just Milli Vanilli without the dudes to me.

• Like 1

It’s one thing to listen to some Ai generated song but kids still want the experience of an artist to latch onto and idolise in the same way we idolised GnR.

AI may serve a purpose when it comes to music but if artists like Ed Sheehan and Taylor swift can repeatedly sell out 70k stadiums and both aren’t even mid- way through their careers .  The music industry will be just fine.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Oldest Goat said:

You have 'absolutely no idea' how your dismissal of philosophy(higher thinking, ethics etc) has 'any' relevance when the topic is those very things? Fucking hell.

"My thoughts on A.I. are; does it amuse people/bring them joy? if so, I'm all for it and actually this means I'm pro-humanity. " Fucking hell.

Anyone who's perplexed about how lip syncing relates to this is braindead imo and I'm just not going to bother explaining that.

I mention fat positivity because it too is a self-absorbed, misguided, unhealthy, ugly perspective that affects more than the individuals who feel that way. Similar to this topic, there seems to be an insidious pseudo-intellectual attempt to cobble together a defense when it and its defense are unworthy of respect.

If you've given up and want to feel as positive as you can about being 500lbs then alright fair enough but be decent enough to accept the realities that come with that like you probably shouldn't have priority in hospital waiting lists, normal people will feel an element of disgust etc etc.

If you get joy from going to lip synced concerts then fair enough but be decent enough to accept that's rather cringe and you're a bit of a tourist/phony.

If you're into A.I. art and not into thinking that much, maybe be gracious enough to have some self-awareness and not dismiss the concerns of people who actually do know how to think.

what is this LMAO

• Like 4

I heard some Kpop bands use live-autotune because the performers are singing and dancing at the same time, and it's not easy for them to do that.

https://old.reddit.com/r/kpoprants/comments/s30c60/autotuning_even_when_idols_are_singing_live_has/

Maybe in the future, AI processing will become easy enough to do on the fly.

If there was a GnR concert where Axl had live AI-processed vocals, would you come to see it?

Edited by BucketEgg

2 hours ago, Amish said:

Is it possible that during the 2010 era they were using effects on his mic to create those God vocals?  

I've always believed that there was something on his vocals in 2010, hard to explain but the 'rasp' just seemed enhanced somehow.

1 hour ago, MrSoftie said:

I've always believed that there was something on his vocals in 2010, hard to explain but the 'rasp' just seemed enhanced somehow.

I’d had believed it also if it wasn’t for the fact 2011-2014. It would have been easiest to do during the Vegas residency. 

4 hours ago, MrSoftie said:

I've always thought that too, but I accepted that he must have just been on a good run because not only were the vocals on point, his whole stage presence and attitude were back.  So who knows 

38 minutes ago, Amish said:

I've always thought that too, but I accepted that he must have just been on a good run because not only were the vocals on point, his whole stage presence and attitude were back.  So who knows 

He had something to prove at that point in time and it gave him that fire inside. 2011-2014 he seemed to have realized it's going nowhere and indifference set in and he went on auto-pilot. Just look at the 2016 ACDC shows for proof that he still had it in him ALL the time even after the 2011-2014 run.

Edited by StrangerInThisTown

5 hours ago, MrSoftie said:

I caught them in 2010 and what I saw and heard was all Axl. I was front row and he sounded pretty much as good that night as he did in 2006 a little more Mickey maybe, but still mostly strong raspy vocals. 

15 hours ago, Amish said:

14 hours ago, Powderfinger said:

I caught them in 2010 and what I saw and heard was all Axl. I was front row and he sounded pretty much as good that night as he did in 2006 a little more Mickey maybe, but still mostly strong raspy vocals. 

Don't get me wrong, I think his voice was very capable and the rasp was there, but I think it was closer to 2006 or 2009 concerts underneath whatever's going on. It might just be a case of clever EQ and compression but it just seemed to push the 'rasp'.

18 hours ago, Grayfox said:

I’d had believed it also if it wasn’t for the fact 2011-2014. It would have been easiest to do during the Vegas residency. 

Well... have a listen to WTTJ from the 05/31/14 show. For some reason on that night he sounded a lot more like 2010, very deep growly rasp.

3 hours ago, Oldest Goat said:

100% agree and I'm strongly in favour of each individual human being legally owning their own face and voice. I definitiely want that along with those other rules I mentioned. I also think each individual should legally own their own metadata meaning they can sell it or block/prevent it.

Unfortunately I think what will happen is some terrible laws like internet rights/anonymity will be ravaged, maybe you need verifiable I.D. to even access the internet.

It was very refreshing to see @Oldest Goat & i very much agree about all this setting off an internet rights rule.  I think that  AI  is going to help push that I.D. law  into reality  soon enough.

You can't put toothpaste back in the tube. Things are about to change irrevocably, but i'm less concerned about AI in music and more so in news related matters that can be used to shape the way people think and vote.