GnR Spotify Stats

My interesting takeaway was "Since I Don't Have You" being more popular than Brownstone, Easy, AND Rocket Queen.... For a band that loves to do Covers live, I don't think they've ever busted out Since I Don't Have You, but all 3 of the latter songs are in the set night after night....

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

Yeah, I wouldn't have expected either of those songs to be in the top 20/30. Great songs though, so they should be high up. Also helped that This I love/Better have been played a lot in the concerts. The songs they don't play with the the exception of SIDHY are all much lower play counts. 

4 minutes ago, KeyserSoze said:

My interesting takeaway was "Since I Don't Have You" being more popular than Brownstone, Easy, AND Rocket Queen.... For a band that loves to do Covers live, I don't think they've ever busted out Since I Don't Have You, but all 3 of the latter songs are in the set night after night....

Yeah. I've only heard them play a snippet of it, once before SCOM on the 93 tour. Crazy that it still hasn't been played , I think these numbers say it would go over very well... more so than Attitude or whatever else they throw in.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, KeyserSoze said:

That was a surprise as well. I suppose its inclusion on Greatest Hits has boosted its reputation and popularity over the year. It's so different from most of the catalogue it probably stands out in a positive way for a lot of people 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, KeyserSoze said:

SIDHY was in a Netflix movie last year, Metal Lords I think, so it probably got a boost in streams from that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gavgnr said:

My interesting takeaway is this. Snapshotted just now

(I’m the Spotify xfiles guy 🤣😎)

Yah, I know…probably means Jack shit

89FE5A35-CE30-4EAD-92D7-7090823C068C.png

I thought this thread was about that initially! I hope they keep the 8-bit intro to Atlas on the official version. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Sweersa said:

I thought this thread was about that initially! I hope they keep the 8-bit intro to Atlas on the official version. 

The first minute including that part is really cool and feels like it's building toward an epic chorus but doesn't get there. Hope they keep that first minute mostly intact if it ever gets an official release, which I doubt at this point 

59 minutes ago, Mikey Whipwreck said:

The first minute including that part is really cool and feels like it's building toward an epic chorus but doesn't get there. Hope they keep that first minute mostly intact if it ever gets an official release, which I doubt at this point 

I agree, Atlas starts out strong then falls a bit into a mediocre song. Sometimes I'll get into it, but it's missing something. It's a fine B-side, as is (or was) from the 2001 mix, which seems to be the best we have at this point. (RM1 is also pretty good, additional guitar track on it)

Apparently a newer version is out there with Bumblefoot, mixed similarly to the OMG, Silkworms, and Going Down leaks with Bumblefoot with his guitar in one channel, the rest of the song in the other (mono). I don't have it, but apparently a few do but it hasn't leaked. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Sweersa said:

Better and TIL are my top two favorite CD songs. 

Better is one of my favourites from CD too. Probably my 3rd or 4th. TIL, though, is one of my least liked CD songs, maybe only in front of Riad and Scraped.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Cosmo said:

Better is one of my favourites from CD too. Probably my 3rd or 4th. TIL, though, is one of my least liked CD songs, maybe only in front of Riad and Scraped.

One of the Better leaks actually made me a GN'R fan. :) I was never fond of IRS or Riad, or even the title track, but still listen to them from time to time. IRS is definitely my least favorite. I must say I am a sucker for Scraped. I love that song, has some great guitars and Axl vocals (though the lyrics are a bit cheesy, but perhaps that was the intent like with If The World)

34 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Instrumentally, TIL is one of the best songs ever released under the GNR name. The lyrics and vocals ruin it though.

The vocal? really? I actually think it's one of Axls best vocal performances. I know it's a bit phantom of the opera though, so that might turn some off it. For me, it's top tier stuff

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Tom2112 said:

The vocal? really? I actually think it's one of Axls best vocal performances. I know it's a bit phantom of the opera though, so that might turn some off it. For me, it's top tier stuff

It's the combination of the cheesy lyrics and the dramatic vocals, especially the layered vocals in the chorus that kinda ruin it for me. It was a highlight in 2010 though, basically Axl's solo spot, and the remix vocals are incredible. A more 'raw' take on the album would've fit the song better IMO.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, KeyserSoze said:

Probably just from people playing the greatest hits album 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

It's the combination of the cheesy lyrics and the dramatic vocals, especially the layered vocals in the chorus that kinda ruin it for me. It was a highlight in 2010 though, basically Axl's solo spot, and the remix vocals are incredible. A more 'raw' take on the album would've fit the song better IMO.

Agree with you on the layered vocals in the chorus, it’s way too produced-sounding for what the song is and it’s always bothered me. Otherwise love it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Those 2010 versions of it were probably superior! 

A rawer take could have been interesting for sure though! That could be said for the entire album though🤣

• Like 1

Just to expand the topic a bit in regards to GNR and Spotify, what interests me is how GNR stacks up against all other artists on Spotify for monthly listeners.

You can check out the list here:

https://kworb.net/spotify/listeners.html

Right now GNR is ranked 150 out of 500, with nearly 26.9 million monthly listeners.  To put that in comparison, The Beatles have 30.7 million monthly listeners, Metallica has 26.1 million monthly listeners, Nirvana in at 27 million, Rolling Stones at 24 million, Led Zeppelin at 18.9 million, Elvis Presley with 17.7 million, Pearl Jam with 13.2 million, Prince with 10.9 million, and the Foo Fighters with 20.9 million.  GNR at 150 is one of the top rock acts in the monthly listener charts.  There are only a few other "rock" acts that are above them (Imagine Dragons (18), Elton John (43), Queen (47), and Arctic Monkeys (53), and Lincoln Park (84)).  The rest are pop, hip-hop, or EDM.   

The truth is that rock just isn't a big factor when it comes to overall listening habits.  The number 1 streamed artist on Spotify is The Weeknd, with over 121 million monthly listeners.  Lana Del Rey, who most people over 35-40 likely couldn't name one of her songs or pick her out of a crowd, has 43 million monthly listeners.  

Here's an interesting summary on what's going on with Spotify's monthly listeners:

• Like 3