Perhaps - New Guns N' Roses Single - Discussion

6 minutes ago, Bitchisback said:

I'm in Pennsylvania.  That is just a rip of the song someone took from last night.  Not a demo.

And lots of songs go to radio before streaming services. That's not uncommon 

The one that I saw was definitely the demo, not the radio rip. It’s been taken down now though. 

42A7C2DB-EFEB-482B-9540-886578C52785.jpeg.3430a2b7e5024029507ba93f098a5b95.jpeg

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

No, I doubt it. It really sounds like a CD era song, and Slash said none of the songs they worked on had as much 'history' as Hardschool. I don't know why they've worded it like it's something Axl, Slash and Duff wrote this year, I'm sure most places will report is being from the CD era like Absurd and Hardschool.

Regarding the solo, I think it's possible that unless they're using an entire track (like Brain's drum track) they can use pieces of Robin's or Bucket's playing and simply put 'Written/performed by GNR' in the credits.

I think that might be true, if it's just 2 seconds of guitar I don't think you have to credit the player?

• Like 1

I finally heard it.

As a drummer the first thing i noticed are the different drums. So its safe to assume Josh played on the leak and Brain played on the official version.

The song is great. Ill have more opinions later.

My favorite from the leaks Atlas hopefully will come out next.

• Like 2

My general musings:

I definitely think the verses have been ‘rocked up’ compared to the demo, I like Slash’s slinky little riff during that part, Duff’s bass sounds sexy and the drumming has been improved throughout. As others have already mentioned, robins bend going into Slash’s weak/uninspired solo sounds VERY amateurish though and it’s annoying…

Wish they’d removed some of the “heyyy heys” during the verses because they make Axl sound like a mental patient (which may have been what he was going for  🤔). I’ve always thought the chorus was pretty epic but still haven’t got a clue what Axl is singing and the deeper vocal track is not new, it was always there in the demo but buried lower in the mix (you can hear it with headphones).

I think that’s all for now 🤣.

Edited by GNFNRUK
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, El Guapo said:

I think that might be true, if it's just 2 seconds of guitar I don't think you have to credit the player?

They have credited Caram for keyboards (I guess it's for the various effects), so I think there would have been credit for any other, if minor, contributions. In my opinion, no credit simply means that it's Fortus and not Robin. Maybe someone should ask Fortus on IG or fb. He will likely reply.

7 minutes ago, liers said:

I like it, but I wish it sounded less… busy. Even  Axls vocals seem to be buried in the mix at times.

Everything from the CD era is too busy. Too many layered vocals. Even the chorus on this song has at least 3 vocal takes/melodies. It goes from busy to messy. I still like it, but it could use some simplifying, like most from that era.

27 minutes ago, colonizedmind said:

Not a leftover or a b side literally...that's just how folk that don't like it are gonna label....the truth is, there's many breadcrumbs that show this would of been part of the next album as a main track and the fact it's out now, backs that up too...so it's part of another album that may of been called CD2 or most likely an entirely different title! We forget that....same with anything. Legendary Child from Aerosmiths last LP was originally conceived/demoed in their Get A Grip era but it still belongs to that last LP....ideas are always stock piled over years.... admittedly, uniquely in GNR's mad ways case.

Same with a bunch of songs on Van Halen's last album. They were even played live in the '70s before being reworked for the release in 2012

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, El Guapo said:

I think they’d still get credited as a studio musician, but not sure. 

Perhaps must’ve been solely credited to Axl before as the composer is now just listed as Guns N Roses (Axl,Slash,Duff). Absurd for example is credited to Axl, Dizzy, Slash and Duff as Dizzy must’ve been an original co-writer. Which is interesting because it shows us that the deal between Axl, Slash and Duff regarding releasing new music is now back to the pre UYI days where the band as an entity was credited as the composer. At least I think that’s the case.

Edited by Martin Riggs
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

They have credited Caram for keyboards (I guess it's for the various effects), so I think there would have been credit for any other, if minor, contributions. In my opinion, no credit simply means that it's Fortus and not Robin. Maybe someone should ask Fortus on IG or fb. He will likely reply.

I would like to know as well who played it, but why? :D

Some may disagree, but i personally dig the simplicity of this version. Feel like it would have fit perfectly on UYI. Nothing game changing, but it doesn’t need to be. Just glad GNR figured out how to put out another track. 

Now bring on The General!!

• Like 1

I thought the song breathed a bit more than the demo.  I liked the older solo a bit better.  Slash in reality probably would’ve been similar to Robin’s but he had to do something different so it makes sense.  I wish they hadn’t cut the songs ending off too.  Vocals are far more clear and less busy too. It’s a very Elton John-esque song.  I get so tired of seeing the whole appetite stuff people hold on to so much.  GNR’s sound IMO evolved and grew into illusions style.  That’s what they were was those records.  It’s how they grew.  So anything post should or probably will sound that way.  There’s a grandiose vibe on the CD songs as there was on illusions.  That’s what I loved about this band.  It’s the heavy edgier version of Queen blended with Elton. 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Rovim said:

cool, and really, all I'm saying, is that just because you seem to dislike it, doesn't mean that the reason for the 20 plus year delay was because Axl didn't think it was good or didn't like it as well. 

as I've mentioned before, Axl didn't want to release This I Love cause he was maybe too attached to it so that's 1 example of why there could be more than 1 reason, the reason you specified, for the long delay.

I don't say it's a fact, obviously, I just assume he wasn't satisfied, but yeah, it coukd have a lot of reasons. We don't know.

10 minutes ago, Martin Riggs said:

I think they’d still get credited as a studio musician, but not sure. 

Perhaps must’ve been solely credited to Axl before as the composer as now it’s just listed as Guns N Roses (Axl,Slash,Duff). Absurd for example is credited to Axl, Dizzy, Slash and Duff as Dizzy must’ve been an original co-writer. Which is interesting because it shows us that the deal between Axl, Slash and Duff regarding releasing new music is now back to the pre UYI days where the band was solely credited as the composer. 

The composition credits for Absurd and Hard Skool were just "Guns N' Roses" as well in the streaming services' liner notes. The "real" credits (meaning who gets composition royalties) appeared on ASCAP a while later. I suppose the same will happen with Perhaps.

Just now, El Guapo said:

Gotta say: It's a bit ridiculous how Robin's solo from the demo gets overhyped now around here :D

It's just a little interlude (both versions) and that's it.

It was never one of my favourite Robin solos tbh (not a patch on what he did on TIL, TWAT or Better) BUT I think it’s the fact that Slash’s solo is SO bland and uninspired, that it makes Robins seem like a masterpiece in comparison.

• Like 2
  • ABSUЯD 1

2 minutes ago, El Guapo said:

Gotta say: It's a bit ridiculous how Robin's solo from the demo gets overhyped now around here :D

It's just a little interlude (both versions) and that's it.

Agreed but I do overall prefer Robin’s. Still, it should be Slash on the final release since he’s in the band

5 minutes ago, GNR4Ever2024 said:

As for Frank vs Brain. They probably just didnt want to re-recored all the drums.  There is  probably stuff we haven't heard with Frank on it

Id guess Frank redid all the drums in 2007 and Hard Skool was one of them. And then the band just chose their fav takes.

No idea if Absurd and Perhaps were played by Frank

13 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

There are vocals there we haven't heard, but we don't know when they were recorded.

hearing this gives me faith, that they properly finished off State of Grace, which is my favourite from the village leaks

• GNFNR 1