"The General" is officially delayed... but "The General" AND "Monsters" is (unofficially) out of the bag

2 hours ago, Blackstar said:

It could be because it's too non-commercial for a standalone single.

Maybe also they don't want to release it with much fanfare, because they know that this song has been mythologized by a portion of the fanbase and fans expect nothing short of a masterpiece, so they want to reduce such expectations. That doesn't necessarily mean that the song is not good, but they probably don't want the fans to expect a new Estranged.

From the little we've heard, I expect it to be a good song. But it's been hyped up over 2 decades to being this mythical masterpiece, and like Atlas, it can never live up to the hype.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Blackstar said:

"Part 2" may be just in relation to the theme, the lyrics etc, not necessarily about the quality or any musical similarities.

Just making fun .. I'm sure it's going be just as epic sounding as we believe it to be. Bach described it as the angriest he's ever heard Axl. I don't think he was exaggerating. The orchestral underlayer we've known for a while now is reason enough to believe this song will live up to its legend.

• PERHAPS 1

57 minutes ago, 2020_Intensions said:

Just making fun .. I'm sure it's going be just as epic sounding as we believe it to be. Bach described it as the angriest he's ever heard Axl. I don't think he was exaggerating. The orchestral underlayer we've known for a while now is reason enough to believe this song will live up to its legend.

Angrier than Perfect Crime? Doubt it.

On 8/18/2023 at 12:07 AM, Arnuld said:

It will still have massive value. There are a lot of people who would die to hear the finck bucket version

About 7 people in actuality 

On 8/18/2023 at 12:50 AM, SoulMonster said:

Well, Slash said they might compile the singles into an album at some point, so I guess we are.

New music, properly new music, I am afraid we are very, very far away.

How far away can you be for new music when Axl is 60? 

Ok so what are we putting the odds at of a version of The General leaking prior to an official release? I’d say about a 20% chance. 

And the big question- If this happens will you listen to it or wait for the official version? 

Edited by Arnuld
  • Like 1

On 8/18/2023 at 1:56 AM, SoulMonster said:

I don't. I tried listening to the party recording a couple of times but the sound was so poor I couldn't really make out anything. And I have never listened to evader's work because it is an interpretation of a lousy recording, so likely far removed from the real thing.

Evaders mix has enough to get a feel for it. It sounds like a B-Side

Where did this late October release date come from exactly? Is that the release date of the vinyl? Because if that's all we're going by, it doesn't mean they won't put it out on streaming before that. 

The tour dates wrap up at the end of October, so I'm sure they'll want to perform it on this tour before it ends, leading me to believe they put it on streaming sooner than we think.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Arnuld said:

Ok so what are we putting the odds at of a version of The General leaking prior to an official release? I’d say about a 20% chance. 

And the big question- If this happens will you listen to it or wait for the official version? 

Listen. I heard Evaders mix and this song is B-Side city. 

7 minutes ago, Silence said:

Bro- that dude Evader is a genius. He crafted an entire song out of stems. But it’s not a real song lol. Basing any review on that is ridiculous 

17 minutes ago, Silence said:

You heard a fan-made version with nonsense vocals just like the rest of us, and you can already say the studio version is B-Side city? Impressive psychic abilities there. Can you also tell me if I'll win the lottery? :lol:

• Like 2
  • Wow 1

On 8/18/2023 at 1:07 AM, Arnuld said:

It will still have massive value. There are a lot of people who would die to hear the finck bucket version

Losing value by the minute. once it’s released it would be reduced to the value of hearing another demo of WTTJ from the 80s. Very cool, maybe even mystical depending on the circumstances of the recording, but not the official release…

if the general demo exists in the wild, it has value, but it should be traded out today before it becomes worthless 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Arnuld said:

I honestly don't believe horders are actually sitting on The General, there has been to much smoke about a official release these last few months that something would have either leaked or been hinted at before now if that was the case.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, McCoyGNR said:

Losing value by the minute. once it’s released it would be reduced to the value of hearing another demo of WTTJ from the 80s.

The early demo will still be valuable, it would be more like hearing a YCBM demo from the 80s. Obviously not the official release, but played by an arguably better band and probably different enough to be interesting on its own.

I hope if a CD box set ever gets released, all the early versions of these NITL singles will still be included.

• Like 2

I'm still doubtful that anyone is hoarding early versions of "The General". Let's be honest, it would have already leaked if someone was to have it. 

I'd love to be proven wrong, but I don't think those versions are ever going to be heard. 

I'm still hyped we're getting an official release though.  

8 minutes ago, DarkLotus1111 said:

I'm still doubtful that anyone is hoarding early versions of "The General". Let's be honest, it would have already leaked if someone was to have it. 

I'd love to be proven wrong, but I don't think those versions are ever going to be heard. 

I'm still hyped we're getting an official release though.  

Who knows. Vegas 2001, the 2010 proshot, Canada 93, and 2019 extravaganza all came out of nowhere 

51 minutes ago, Arnuld said:

Bro- that dude Evader is a genius. He crafted an entire song out of stems. But it’s not a real song lol. Basing any review on that is ridiculous 

Evader is brilliant. I kept his Silkworms on my phone for years. I was specifically speaking to the song itself. Its not a monster. 

1 hour ago, Towelie said:

Where did this late October release date come from exactly? Is that the release date of the vinyl? Because if that's all we're going by, it doesn't mean they won't put it out on streaming before that. 

The tour dates wrap up at the end of October, so I'm sure they'll want to perform it on this tour before it ends, leading me to believe they put it on streaming sooner than we think.

This is what I've been saying... I think we'll get it in middle/late September.

• GNFNR 1
  • PERHAPS 1

42 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

You heard a fan-made version with nonsense vocals just like the rest of us, and you can already say the studio version is B-Side city? Impressive psychic abilities there. Can you also tell me if I'll win the lottery? :lol:

I didnt make any of those claims. And most members here are conditioned for soundbite posts. I didnt make a lengthy post to debate I can hear the vocals and guitar. It’s not special. Its not what my mind imagined. I was hoping for something like a masterpiece on the level of Estranged. Hearing the song , even Evaders, to me personally feels like in the 90’s this would be a B-Side. A song you hope gets some exposure thru the single, but not strong enough to get radio play so to speak. 

5 minutes ago, Silence said:

I didnt make any of those claims. And most members here are conditioned for soundbite posts. I didnt make a lengthy post to debate I can hear the vocals and guitar. It’s not special. Its not what my mind imagined. I was hoping for something like a masterpiece on the level of Estranged. Hearing the song , even Evaders, to me personally feels like in the 90’s this would be a B-Side. A song you hope gets some exposure thru the single, but not strong enough to get radio play so to speak. 

The cell phone recording and evader's version give a very vague, short idea of the song. I'm hoping it's good, but it could be shit for all we know. I don't think anything we've heard is enough to form a real opinion on the song though.

10 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

The cell phone recording and evader's version give a very vague, short idea of the song. I'm hoping it's good, but it could be shit for all we know. I don't think anything we've heard is enough to form a real opinion on the song though.

I agree its vague, but I believe its label as a B-Side is more or less how Axl sees it. It was done intentionally. So I believe its safe to say the song wont blow minds. Id say its on par with Atlas. 

7 minutes ago, Silence said:

I agree its vague, but I believe its label as a B-Side is more or less how Axl sees it. It was done intentionally. So I believe its safe to say the song wont blow minds. Id say its on par with Atlas. 

It was a heavy Buckethead song so it's already one up on Atlas for me :lol: 

For all we know it could be Shackler's 2.0 with an orchestra, or it could be on the same level as TWAT or Prostitute. Those were the best songs on CD and they weren't radio friendly either.

I get keeping expectations low, but brushing it off before we've heard it is just as weird as over-hyping it. Keeping in mind how Sorry, Prostitute, Atlas, etc were described over the years before we heard them, I'm still excited to finally hear The General.

• Like 2