"The General" is officially delayed... but "The General" AND "Monsters" is (unofficially) out of the bag

Someone let me know if I missed anything on this checklist for The General:

1) Is it the same track as the Vienna 2010 party leak?

2) Does it include the orchestral intro used live in 2006? (Possibly 2002 as well?)

3) is Marco Beltrami credited?

4) Is it the same song as the jam the band soundchecked last year in Brazil?

5) Is it about child abuse?

6) How closely if at all will the official release be to Evader’s mix?

7) Do you consider it a “monster” as Fernando suggests?

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Lies They Tell said:

This is how the GNR Twitter once replied when someone asked what intros they play at GNR concerts: "there are several.. "the General" is probably most played before CD".  So, it's not just speculation based on what Axl said. They have actually confirmed that they used The General as an intro

Thank you for this quote! I had completely forgotten about it.

My misguided doubts about it being The General were entirely from FL calling it a "Monster." That's an odd tease, considering there's another song with Axl's "meanest vocals" ever (or whatever he said on Trunk) that is supposed to be called "Soul Monster". That actually wouldn't be a bad title for the cellphone song if it is about what I think it is about.

• GNFNR 1

There is a chance the General is the cellphone clip, old show intro, and simultaneously something we've never heard before. One of the things we've seen with the Village sessions, recent singles, and leaked remixes along with speculation about the Village track listing is that certain elements were lifted from some songs and put on to other songs. The orchestral piece may be "the General," the cellphone clip may have been the full "General" meant for CD2, and the single may be a Slash/Duff-ified version resembling neither of those two.

For my money, the 06 intro is the General. It's all but confirmed. I also think "the General" may refer to more than the actual song. I think it was remixed in a way meant to time up with the band's walk-on and lead in to WTTJ. I'm not expecting 90 second intro before the song starts on a 7".

Edited by bumbleslash69

Oh my god dude, no joking, regarding The General, from the moment i joined this forum i’ve sensed some kind of superiority complex coming from those who are  skeptical about this whole General myth or saga or whatever it is, it’s stupid as hell

Like always trying to look down on some ..implying that we are lunatics imagining things when hearing the cellphone clip🤣

I don’t know why is it that hard to hear the orchestra and the beat and then connect that with what was said in FB back then and the 2006 intro 

It IS the fucking General, either accept it now or when this comes out, i just hope this appears on streaming soon so we can throw this speculation to the f’n garbage bin…

The same in 2019 with HardSchool, I didn’t had an account but i used to lurk on here and i remember a lot of people cried and cried that it wasn’t the same as Jackie Chan or Checkmate while all the sane people told them otherwise… what happened in the end?🤣

Now if i’m wrong then i am an idiot but if it is indeed an instrumental or a garbage “B side“ we all lose…

• Like 1

I have never listened to the phone leak. I obviously heard about it, but everyone said you couldn't make much of anything out so I didn't persue it. I heard evaders mix so I have nothing to go off in terms of how accurate that is. 

I'm pumped to finally hear something lol

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Gunner55 said:

I have never listened to the phone leak. I obviously heard about it, but everyone said you couldn't make much of anything out so I didn't persue it. I heard evaders mix so I have nothing to go off in terms of how accurate that is. 

I'm pumped to finally hear something lol

I think I listened to it once back when it was posted. I remember not being able to really understand anything in the clip so I never listened to it again. I also have no idea if the Evader version resembles/is inspired by that clip.

Does anyone else realize we are basically waiting for a song like No More Tears from Ozzy? haha. That song just came on shuffle for me, and I realized..it basically fits ALL the things we know about The General. I seriously don't believe it will be half as great as such an all time classic song but it comes VERY close to what we expect, doesn't it?

Edited by StrangerInThisTown
  • Like 1
  • PERHAPS 1

6 hours ago, ZoSoRose said:

Now we’re doubting if the orchestra is The General? That’d be a twist 

Well we're going off of a Twitter comment from a member of their team....not like humans ever say the wrong thing or quote the wrong quote....it would be a twist. It SHOULD be The General, but we'll only find out in about 40 days time....all these pieces of the puzzle, myraids of magic myths only adds to the fun and anticipation...

I'd shit a brick if next month Axl tweets out of the blue....

*So continuing our brand associations post NASCAR, we've got a tie-in with Generals Chicken....it's been in the works a wee while (DECADES) but here's the ad....*

GENERAL drops.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Slugworth said:

If it's half as good as No More Tears, it'll be one of the best songs in the discography.

That song is just off the charts amazing.

To have a song such as No More Tears in Guns discography would be amazing, there was something magic about that year, 1991. It's funny to me because Zakk Wyldes solo on that song is the only one from that era that rivals Slashs Estranged solo in my opinion, and they came out on the SAME DAY, and now we are set to get a song like that with Slash on it. I was really freaked out for a second when I realized the similarities right now.

Edited by StrangerInThisTown

Anyone else hoping the “who would do this to you?” X2 lines at the end of @evader’s mix are in the released version? I love those bits lol

I just realized those parts do not appear after the screaming part in the party clip, so Evader re-looped that end piece. 

speaking of that party, didn’t @Mindray11 say he heard another song played that was more piano based? Did it have vocals? Was it “Perhaps”?

Edited by GNR 1991
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, GNR 1991 said:

Anyone else hoping the “who would do this to you?” X2 lines at the end of @evader’s mix are in the released version? I love those bits lol

I just realized those parts do not appear after the screaming part in the party clip, so Evader re-looped that end piece. 

speaking of that party, didn’t @Mindray11 say he heard another song played that was more piano based? Did it have vocals? Was it “Perhaps”?

To me it sounds like Axl is starting to sing the "do you remember" part again (assuming Evader's lyrics are correct) after the screaming stops and right before the clip ends.

• Wow 1

On 8/31/2023 at 4:40 PM, Mindray11 said:

I think my recording is 6:30 minutes long, but I can't make out when the song starts because of all that noise. So I guess somewhere between 4:30 and 6 minutes.

Yo what the fuck? Do you have more of the song?

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, GNR 1991 said:

I've trained myself to repress the phone recording and Evader's mix from my memory, so I have no idea what to expect anymore from The General.

Although I do like the ''who would do this'' lines...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

To have a song such as No More Tears in Guns discography would be amazing, there was something magic about that year, 1991. It's funny to me because Zakk Wyldes solo on that song is the only one from that era that rivals Slashs Estranged solo in my opinion, and they came out on the SAME DAY, and now we are set to get a song like that with Slash on it. I was really freaked out for a second when I realized the similarities right now.

It's vey helpful for everyone to fuel the expectations like this :lol:

• Haha 1
  • ABSUЯD 1

7 hours ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

Does anyone else realize we are basically waiting for a song like No More Tears from Ozzy? haha. That song just came on shuffle for me, and I realized..it basically fits ALL the things we know about The General. I seriously don't believe it will be half as great as such an all time classic song but it comes VERY close to what we expect, doesn't it?

Funny I just heard that song the other week, and it had been the first time in a while and I just sat with it thinking what a fucking amazing tune.  The whole album really.  That's Ozzy at his absolute best.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Bitchisback said:

Funny I just heard that song the other week, and it had been the first time in a while and I just sat with it thinking what a fucking amazing tune.  The whole album really.  That's Ozzy at his absolute best.

Zak Wylde solo on that song 🤘

12 hours ago, Bitchisback said:

I agree it's probably solo Ozzy's peak but man, solo Ozzy doesn't hold a candle to Black Sabbath's first 6 albums, IMO

• PERHAPS 1