"The General" is officially delayed... but "The General" AND "Monsters" is (unofficially) out of the bag

3 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

I think too that we had SUCH a long buildup to them doing Perhap, with so many soundchecks, that for The General to just appear one night, without any of that would seem strange.....but it did happen with Absurd I suppose. 

I’d bet the farm that the mystery song they rehearsed last year was The General. No idea how much they’ve revisited it since then as a band.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Nick85 said:

Something we should consider is how Richard recently said they should be adding The General to the live set “soon” and that they’ve rehearsed it. Since the tour (save for 1 show) ends before the physical release, it’d make sense to assume that means a digital release will come while the dates are still ongoing, since surely that will come first before they take a crack at it live.

Sounds like 2 shows post General now...

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, megaguns1982 said:

It could well be. I still don’t understand (and correct me if I’m wrong) why people claim the clip from that fashion show is the general.

Because the song from the fashion show seems to include that orchestral bit used by GNR as concert intro, which was confirmed by their Twitter account (or by Fernando on Twitter, can't remember) to be from The General.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, DoMw94 said:

I really don't get the appeal of vinyl these days.

Aside from the artwork – which you can put on posters, t-shirts etc. anyway – what's the appeal? Having a physical thing to collect? I can sort of buy that reason but not much else.

The sound quality isn't as good as a modern, lossless formats, and the present day vinyls aren't even properly produced as vinyls – they just paste the track onto the format as is, it isn't made for it, so that too affects it.

Someone woke up one day and decided vinyl was the way to go again and everyone just blindly followed suit. The same was tried with casettes and thankfully the world's coming to its senses on that one.

It just exists for the sake of it. There's a reason it died out in the first place.

I’m in it for the nostalgia personally. 

1 hour ago, Arnuld said:

I think that cell phone clip has to be the general. I think everyone is over thinking this. I just wish they would drop the damn thing already. The anticipation is killing me

Haha best to live a secluded lifestyle the next 40~ days until it drops to minimize the chances of being hit by a bus or otherwise perishing from the world, and having "I died without hearing The General" engraved on your tombstone. I would also recommend sleeping with one eye open incase someone wants to break in and murder you in your sleep until October 27 aswell, you never know out there. I reckon all forum members will be reaching Navy Seal levels of alertness and awareness of surroundings on October 26

By the way I just checked and October 27th is a Friday so it very well might come out digitally the day the vinyl ships, but it could also come out before (or after, of course). If they really want to push the vinyl thing, which they seem to be, I mean you can't even order it on anything else, I don't see it coming out before.

I still want to believe my theory from earlier that the song will be released publicly on October 31st, just seems fitting, and the shipping time would mean most people get it by that date for the first time. And also..Axl loves Halloween.

Edited by StrangerInThisTown

2 hours ago, evader said:

I think whether it is The General is actually still debatable. But I can 100% guarantee you (as @Twinalebloodmentioned) that the orchestration on the cellphone clip exactly matches parts of that old concert intro, with the drums perfectly matching that orchestration's tempo. Even if you can't clearly hear those things on the clip, they can be visualized in spectral frequency.

I can hardly believe this, but after Fernando's "Monster" tease, I'm actually starting to wonder if we've all been making some incorrect assumptions for more than a decade (Axl quote about hearing it somewhere, etc). Guess we'll know soon enough.

I want to add something to this. What if the live intro from 2006 was actually "Thyme" or "Seven"? Maybe in Axl's quote he could be referring to him teasing "The General" on the piano or a band jam at the time? For example: "Prostitute" and "As It Began" were teased on the piano in 2002. It's fun to speculate. 

6 hours ago, evader said:

I think whether it is The General is actually still debatable. But I can 100% guarantee you (as @Twinalebloodmentioned) that the orchestration on the cellphone clip exactly matches parts of that old concert intro, with the drums perfectly matching that orchestration's tempo. Even if you can't clearly hear those things on the clip, they can be visualized in spectral frequency.

I can hardly believe this, but after Fernando's "Monster" tease, I'm actually starting to wonder if we've all been making some incorrect assumptions for more than a decade (Axl quote about hearing it somewhere, etc). Guess we'll know soon enough.

Fernando's Monster tease? What did I miss? (except for his comment a while ago)

6 hours ago, evader said:

What are you talking about? I fail to see how Fernando's comment raises any doubts about our knowledge of the song. There's no question that the cellphone leak is "The General". The only other possibility would be that they have two songs with the exact same orchestration and that's a stupid idea. Obviously the cellphone clip is "The General". It fits Sebastian Bach's description as well. And the orchestral intro that they used in 2006 was from "The General". They have confirmed this. This is how the GNR Twitter once replied when someone asked what intros they play at GNR concerts: "there are several.. "the General" is probably most played before CD".  So, it's not just speculation based on what Axl said. They have actually confirmed that they used The General as an intro

So based on everything that we've heard, we know that The General will be a pretty epic and dark song. You could even call it a "Monster" like Fernando did. There's no contradiction between Fernando's statement and our existing knowledge of the song; the cellphone snippet is unquestionably "The General."

Edited by Lies They Tell
  • Like 2

31 minutes ago, Cosmo said:

Some asked him about Perhaps and The General on Reddit, and he said Perhaps is a great song and General is a monster.

That's not a tease, that's just the comment I already knew about and it changes nothing about our assumptions of how the songs sounds.

18 minutes ago, Towelie said:

So what do we know about the actual song? I assume its an uptempo?

A fast song? No, not really. Based on the cellphone clip it seems to be pretty slow, dark and epic. There's some screaming in it and my guess is that the orchestration will be on the background layer throughout the song. But obviously we haven't heard the whole song. I guess that it's possible that there's some faster parts in it, but I doubt it.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Lies They Tell said:

A fast song? No, not really. Based on the cellphone clip it seems to be pretty slow, dark and epic. There's some screaming in it and my guess is that the orchestration will be on the background layer throughout the song. But obviously we haven't heard the whole song. I guess that it's possible that there's some faster parts in it, but I doubt it.

I hope it's really slow, heavy and Sabbathy.

• Like 1