"The General" is officially delayed... but "The General" AND "Monsters" is (unofficially) out of the bag

1 hour ago, Wabby said:

I remember the fake General lyrics someone posted years ago that started something like:

”Left, left, Right, Left”

remembering reading it and thinking if this is real this song is going to be terrible lol

Im glad somebody remembers that besides me 🤣 if im not mistaken this was from the who for sure thought CD was just sitting on a torrent somewhere, we just gotta keep googling it lol

Edited by The Matinator
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, F*ck Fear said:

I can't wait to NOT be able to hear this right away due to me not owning a record player :lol:

And just like the shitty cell phone recording, I will refuse to listen to a vinyl rip that sounds like ass.

It's extremely easy to get a good vinyl rip, given that the vinyl is in excellent condition, and it's a quality pressing (This is absolutely key - if it's a crap pressing, it's gonna be a crap rip). A minor amount of touching up the rip can make it sound excellent. 

To give an idea - this is a rip of a vinyl-only track from one of my favorite bands, that doesn't sound like it's been touched up after ripping to me. If you think this sounds like ass, I don't know what to say :shrugs: 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Powerage5 said:

It's extremely easy to get a good vinyl rip, given that the vinyl is in excellent condition, and it's a quality pressing (This is absolutely key - if it's a crap pressing, it's gonna be a crap rip). A minor amount of touching up the rip can make it sound excellent. 

To give an idea - this is a rip of a vinyl-only track from one of my favorite bands, that doesn't sound like it's been touched up after ripping to me. If you think this sounds like ass, I don't know what to say :shrugs: 

Are you excited for the release?

19 hours ago, Free Bird said:

I think everything he put out after VR is still better than Libertad but my point wasn't about the quality of the songs. I reacted to the statement about his solos and I have to disagree. Neither am I a guitarist nor do I know anything about music theory. But that doesn't mean that I'm not able to he make out a melodic solo... 4 is basically unfinished and its solos could have been more thought out but the whole record was an attempt of making a spontaneous live album so it suffered from that idea.

The solos on Living The Dream instead... The One You Loved Is Gone, Lost Inside The Girl, The Great Pretender... even the faster solos like Serve You Right, Read Between The Lines, Slow Grind and Boulevard Of Broken Hearts are well structured and indeed melodic.

It all goes hand in hand, IMO. But definitely an easier discussion if we focus more narrowly on solos. I'll listen back to some of those songs.

The One You Loved - right off the bat, the very beginning of the solo is a rehashed lick from The Last Fight's solo.

(starts at 2:39)

Done much better on The Last Fight, and was also used on Far and Away as well (starts at 2:38):

But even by Far and Away that was starting to become one of the cliches he would lean on when he didn't have anything more original. I remember this solo standing out at the time for being pretty by-the-numbers for him. Luckily the outro solo redeems F&A big time.

As The One You Loved continues, the solo suffers from a similar issue to Far and Away; he's not alternating the rhythm much. The notes come at a pretty consistent and predictable pace, with little to no syncopation. He's just kind of wandering up and down the scale with no sense of direction or building up and releasing. You also don't feel any groove in the performance of it. It's very stiff.

Now contrast that with an excellent solo from Snakepit; Back To The Moment (starts at 2:58):

Take note of the fluidity, how his rhythm sits right in the pocket, the diversity between long bends and faster runs, the way it starts slower and gradually builds to a crescendo. And of course, the tone is to die for.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, The Matinator said:

Im glad somebody remembers that besides me 🤣 if im not mistaken this was from the who for sure thought CD was just sitting on a torrent somewhere, we just gotta keep googling it lol

I actually googled it and found it on GNRevolution along with the fake Lyrics for “Checkmate”(Hard Skool)

42 minutes ago, ZoSoRose said:

I’m guessing this thing will be out, next week. Fingers crossed

Ive said this all month that Oct 7 will be the day, im to the point that ive convinced myself its official. Cant wait til next week when i get to be pissed off at the band for not releasing it

3 hours ago, evilfacelessturtle said:

It all goes hand in hand, IMO. But definitely an easier discussion if we focus more narrowly on solos. I'll listen back to some of those songs.

The One You Loved - right off the bat, the very beginning of the solo is a rehashed lick from The Last Fight's solo.

(starts at 2:39)

Done much better on The Last Fight, and was also used on Far and Away as well (starts at 2:38):

But even by Far and Away that was starting to become one of the cliches he would lean on when he didn't have anything more original. I remember this solo standing out at the time for being pretty by-the-numbers for him. Luckily the outro solo redeems F&A big time.

As The One You Loved continues, the solo suffers from a similar issue to Far and Away; he's not alternating the rhythm much. The notes come at a pretty consistent and predictable pace, with little to no syncopation. He's just kind of wandering up and down the scale with no sense of direction or building up and releasing. You also don't feel any groove in the performance of it. It's very stiff.

Now contrast that with an excellent solo from Snakepit; Back To The Moment (starts at 2:58):

Take note of the fluidity, how his rhythm sits right in the pocket, the diversity between long bends and faster runs, the way it starts slower and gradually builds to a crescendo. And of course, the tone is to die for.

Yeah but it's easy to take one of his best solos to argue that his work then was better than today. Back To The Moment is awesome of course, as are many songs on Snakepit and GNR and that's definitely the work of Slash I still prefer, but that doesn't mean that I can't enjoy his new stuff. I also agree that you can make out similarities in his solos here and there, but I think that's normal when you listen to Slash. He hasn't changed his style of playing much in over 30 years but keeps releasing music constantly. Therefore I'm not expecting him to be as great as he was back then, as I'm not expecting GNR to create another AFD or a third UYI. That time is long gone but that doesn't mean everything he's doing now is garbage. To me at least.

At least we agree that the outro on Far And Away is ace :shades:

• Like 1

Just had the wackiest GNR dream i'm getting up real quick to tell yall at 1am lol. So, in it I was interviewing Axl "Nardwuar" style, and I had a bunch of gifts for him that gradually pissed him off more and more lmao. First gift was the camera from the 1991 St Louis riot and showed him the last footage off that camera which was Axl stage jumping towards it lmao, he laughed it off but was visibily annoyed lol. Next were the original locker leak village sessions demo tapes and he refused to comment on it and asked to hurry up the interview, last item was the slash shirt from rock in rio 2001 with "slash is up my ass" sharpeed onto the back of it, and he then just left and I woke up lol. Funniest shit ever

• Haha 1