"The General" is officially delayed... but "The General" AND "Monsters" is (unofficially) out of the bag

Just now, Sweersa said:

Anyone who has heard The General in full, are there any swear words in the lyrics?

I want to know so I don't get in trouble with my mom the first time I listen to it.

Contains the words "bugger" and "willy".

Fully expect a return of the Parental Guidance sticker on the vinyl.

• Haha 1

56 minutes ago, evilfacelessturtle said:

I'm not sure you understand what the word "assumption" means. Going off of the available evidence, it will only be released on vinyl. Anything beyond that known fact is the assumption. Not the other way around.

I ASSUME that it will be digital because every mainstream band releases digital these days and it would literally make no sense to not do this. The General being vinyl only wouldn’t increase sales in the vinyl, it would lose them money if anything because the song would instantly be uploaded on YouTube by someone else. 

BUT this is GNR we are talking about. It wouldn’t be outlandish if they did something… outlandish 

Edited by Appetitefordiscussion
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, Flayer said:

Has there ever in the history of the band been a song they put out on vinyl but purposefully withheld from their digital catalog? No.

Is there any particular reason for them to do that now? No.

To say it might never happen is just as much of an assumption as to say it will. The difference is that one assumption is backed by precedent, and the other is not. 

"Coma" from Live Era is still only officially available on vinyl in the US.

It's on the Japanese CD as a bonus track.

I don't think they've ever made it available digitally.  It's out there, yes, but not officially from the band or label.

• Like 2
  • GNFNR 1

3 minutes ago, estrangedtwat said:

don't think they've ever made it available digitally.  It's out there, yes, but not officially from the band or label

Ironically enough, didn’t they release it as an MP3 back in the day? Not disputing what you’re getting at. I don’t think it’s wild for a band to release a physical only song, even GnR. 

3 hours ago, DoMw94 said:

Ah yes, because playing three hours a night and touring constantly for seven years is the work of a lazy people.

They haven't stopped working for seven years. Okay, so it's not the sort of work you'd like them to be doing, it's still work.

They're anything but lazy.

One album of original material since 1991 and a handful of singles is pretty pathetic 

I hope the poster really did hear it over the phone and isn't just another full of shit attention seeker like we've seen roughly 856 times in the last two and a half decades.

All I want is confirmation that it's NOT State of Grace and that it's a finished song with vocals.

If that's the case, I don't give a fuck if it takes two more weeks or two more months....if it really exists, we WILL hear it.

I just can't even articulate how crushingly disappointed I'd be to finally hit "play" on The General and it's just a song we already heard from the locker leaks.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Appetitefordiscussion said:

True but this instance was in the late 90s. I think it would be sort of wild now. 

The B-side for Hard Skool is still vinyl only. Albeit not an original song. It happens with bands of all sizes and songs of all types of quality and originality. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GoForJMark said:

should we be watching out for either of these in a few days?

https://gunsnroses.lnk.to/thegeneralandmonsters

https://gunsnroses.lnk.to/thegeneral

Yes, but after the Perhaps situation, they likely won't update these links until the song is ready or out of the gate, lol. In fact, with Perhaps, their Linkfire link only went live hours before they published the song (not counting the initial URL redirect with the Perhaps countdown).

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, estrangedtwat said:

I hope the poster really did hear it over the phone and isn't just another full of shit attention seeker like we've seen roughly 856 times in the last two and a half decades.

All I want is confirmation that it's NOT State of Grace and that it's a finished song with vocals.

If that's the case, I don't give a fuck if it takes two more weeks or two more months....if it really exists, we WILL hear it.

I just can't even articulate how crushingly disappointed I'd be to finally hit "play" on The General and it's just a song we already heard from the locker leaks.

I'm 100% confident that it's not State of Grace.

As for having vocals, I kind of get the disbelief, but we don't really need any further confirmation for that either - maybe only for the amount of vocals.

• Like 2
  • GNFNR 1