"The General" is officially delayed... but "The General" AND "Monsters" is (unofficially) out of the bag

8 hours ago, rumandraisin said:

Also, really looking forward to that end of the General is SOG posts.

Sadly I think once it's released people will still bang on about how it still COULD be. Yeah, if we're using the Triggers Broom hypotheses...

(One for the UK posters there)

Anyone that states sog is general should be banned.

This old broom has had 17 new heads and 14 new handles.

How the hell can it be the same bloody broom then?

Well there's a picture of it, what more proof do you need. 

Quite apt in 2023 GnR land

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Blackstar said:

For the record, I'm not debating on whether the track list is real (I think it probably is). What I'm debating is whether it was shared in public before 2019 (like I said, there's no way to know if it was shared via PM's, for example, so I would have to take the people who say they had seen it, some of whom I trust, at their word) and I'm sure that it wasn't. I have dug deep into the forums and the only thing I have found that was shared in public was this (which was merely the titles mentioned in the video):

https://www.gnrevolution.com/viewtopic.php?id=11088

2 hours ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

Even if it's only like 5, the chances that if you ask 5 people about something from the past, and they all respond saying the same thing, but they are all wrong about it, are slim and pretty absurd. Especially for me as I'm one of them and I can't believe my brain would make up something so specific as the peoples reaction to the revelation when the village leaks happened that Perhaps was a song title the entire time we had that list and no one realized it.

This list was 1000% going around years before 2019. i lurked here from about 2008 before actually contributing in 2016, and i remember it. Can't tell you 100% what songs were def on there, but the 'V Ch Br' stuff after all tracks was all there. it probably wasnt mentioned much between 2016-2018 because it had been discussed and seen year earlier and the reunion was taking place with little hope (correctly) of any imminent new music. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Chuerta86 said:

Does gnr ship from Sacramento? Got incoming packing arriving from there on Thursday the 26! 

they have a show tonight in salt lake city so if its on the 26th then were likely to hear something tonight and if not tonight on friday in Denver

2 minutes ago, JimiRose said:

This list was 1000% going around years before 2019. i lurked here from about 2008 before actually contributing in 2016, and i remember it. Can't tell you 100% what songs were def on there, but the 'V Ch Br' stuff after all tracks was all there. it probably wasnt mentioned much between 2016-2018 because it had been discussed and seen year earlier and the reunion was taking place with little hope (correctly) of any imminent new music. 

I swear ive seen it before 2019 as well, i have zero proof but i would bet money i had seen it before then

• Like 2

it'll be out in like 40 hours in NZ on streaming platforms. I think if someone uploads a voice memo version from a vinyl playing in their living room tomorrow or thursday, ill be happy to wait an extra few hours to hear it in clarity. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kruelty said:

I saw some pages back that ''The General = State of Grace?'' doubt was brewing again. I wrote down some simple sheet music to show how they are two completely different tunes.

State of Grace intro:

image.png.3597f5c62686c3b4d05b2a2935b692e2.png

The General (orchestral middle part deciphered from both the 2010 phone recording and Evader's remake):

image.png.6725bc557b529f82412e84fc60a1faca.png

They definitely share similarities in that they have a similar tempo (SoG is in 76bpm and The General in 67bpm) and feature a prominent semitone interval. But that's pretty much where the similarities end.

These two songs are in completely different keys, State of Grace being in F# minor and The General being in D minor, while also having completely different rhythmic structures.

It's just a tiring discussion to read through and I hope this can in some way quell the doubt that these songs are in any way the same.

D Minor, of course, being the saddest of all keys.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

I think it would be funny if the song was only 3.5-4 mins long. People might lose their shit.

Look at the past three releases, none of them even get to the 4 min mark. I wouldn’t be surprised if this is the same case for The General. 

45 minutes ago, GNR 1991 said:

I think it would be funny if the song was only 3.5-4 mins long. People might lose their shit.

Look at the past three releases, none of them even get to the 4 min mark. I wouldn’t be surprised if this is the same case for The General. 

This Beach Boys song is only around 4 minutes long but still feels like a bit of a journey. If The General is only this long but uses its time well, then maybe it won't be so bad. (But I hope that it would be longer)

Edited by BucketEgg
  • Like 3