Who else still wants an official Atlas Shrugged release?

Seem to remember Bumblefoot recording for Atlas, which means it was pretty damn close to making the final tracklist for Chinese.  I'd be shocked if we didn't get it.  Good song with much potential, and one of my favorites from the leaks.

• Like 2

Any new music from GNR is a good thing, of course I'd like to see it released. But I think realistically we won't get it for another couple years. Perhaps and The General are the new songs for this year, they'll probably take (most of) next year off while Slash and Duff do solo stuff, then 2025 we'll get Atlas and hopefully another unheard song.

• Like 1

I'm glad to get any GN'R songs we can get!

But yeah, I've been surprised at some of the lackluster response to Atlas, as it's one of my favorite songs from the whole CD sessions. I think it was another example of something being able to handle the weight of the expectations placed upon its shoulders.;) I love the drums, and Axl's vocals (and lyrics). I love how the bass drops out in the first part of the chorus, and just some of the unique musicality as well (it feels like it modulates keys going from the verse to the pre-chorus and chorus). And that's one that I really hope Brian May's solo makes the final version, as it's not only cool (and instantly recognizable as Brian May to me), but it could also bring a whole other promotional angle to the song, which wouldn't hurt.

I'd also be happy to get Soul Monster, State of Grace, Oklahoma (Berlin), Seven, Quick Song, Cuban Skies (if that's real), etc... anything really!

Edited by cosmicblues
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, adamsapple said:

Anyone knows if the song was inspired by Ayn Rand's book? Anyone here read it? If so, what are your thoughts on the book?

If remember correctly, when Axl came online and did some of the forum chats, someone asked them that question and he said it doesn't have much to do with the book other than the line about having shoulders that are wide enough. I've actually never read the book myself.

Edit: Found it! From Soul Monster's "a-4-d.com" website:

And explaining the title:

Song doesn't have all that much to do with the book other than trying to do what you believe in and a line about shoulders not being wide enough.
Edited by cosmicblues
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, F*ck Fear said:

It was the best of the locker leaks, imo.

I'd love to hear a "new" recording of it!

Agree with above. Think it's perfect as is w/drums 👆 version. So not excited to hear it wrecked/hybrid release. SoG on other hand. Yes, that's a single and hot reworked. 

Would love to hear a finished mix of Atlas Shrugged, always enjoyed the demo.

Where was it mentioned that the name of this song was changed to "Never Said"? Read that somewhere but I can't remember where. 

It does make sense, the book is kind of bullshit and Axl said the song doesn't have anything to do with it anyways. It is a great title though. 

I far prefer it to Perhaps! It's got a great catchy chorus and is really upbeat. Drums are really cool and Brian's solo is one of my favourites. The crescendo climax to the solo is classic Brian. The Queen sound condensed in to 5 seconds right there. 

I wonder what the situation was with the solo actually. Bumble said he was going to record one in 2007 or 8 suggesting it was still Brian's at that point? Did Bumble ever do his solo or has it sat with Brian on all those years until Slash re-did it. 

• Like 1

Atlas has also been one of my favorite leaks after CD got released. I've always loved the part "I’ll be the last to say don’t follow your heart, there’s more to what it takes to be a man." To me this song has the same feel to it than CITR for instance.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, GNR 1991 said:

Unless there are some more surprises this year, it looks like we won’t be getting Atlas Shrugged in an official release. Maybe next year or the following? 

I don’t think the song has many fans, but I love the vocals and the melody even if gets a little repetitive and could use some steering. Would love to hear Slash and Duff, a new Axl vocal and verse and a professionally mixed finished product for this song.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m excited as hell that The General is coming first but I just hope it doesn’t take another two years to get another CD leftover. Let it all out!

Best song from village leaks. Most that don't like it, do so because of the crazy hype it got as 'glam november rain'. It's a great track, it should be released now if it's ready to go. dont get the 2 songs every two years approach if you had 6 ready to go in 2020

16 hours ago, GNR 1991 said:

Unless there are some more surprises this year, it looks like we won’t be getting Atlas Shrugged in an official release. Maybe next year or the following?

I see no reason why GNR can't continue to release two songs from the vault every couple years for quite a while if they so desire.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Judezki said:

Atlas has also been one of my favorite leaks after CD got released. I've always loved the part "I’ll be the last to say don’t follow your heart, there’s more to what it takes to be a man." To me this song has the same feel to it than CITR for instance.

Yeah I can totally see why it was left off CD, too similar in style to Catcher. 

I do. Not as the next single, but it should be on the new album. Great beginning, weaker middle part and the rest. But the beginning, with the drums and the rhythmic guitar, always filled me with hope, joy, and wonder what could have been; it was like a message from a parallel universe where things were bright and Guns released CD 2 about 15 years ago!