Nothing (Unreleased track)

Happened upon this song on youtube. I quite like it! It's very different from typical Guns sound though. It reminds me  a little bit of George Harrison's (of the Beatles at that time) "Something" with how relaxingly groovy it is. It's like reverse way of saying the same thing as the song "Something", in this case "nothing". Very hypnotic song, I guess it's unfinished in many ways, since there's only few lines of lyrics. 

Who has heard it and what did you think?

I think it was Josh Freese who mentioned (a couple years ago) that Axl and Billy Howerdel would spend lots of time messing around in the pro tools room, Billy would play something then Axl would do rough vocals over the ideas. That's exactly what Nothing sounds like - a very rough sketch of a song idea. Kind of interesting to hear once, but I haven't listened to it since probably 2019.

• Like 1

Just now, Live Like a Suicide said:

Apart from them sounding similar, are we even sure the vocal parts of Eye on You are confirmed to be the very same used on HS, or is that something we've just come to accept?

I've been wondering the same, but many fans seems pretty sure that it's the exact same parts from Eye On You, so it's the latter.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

I think it was Josh Freese who mentioned (a couple years ago) that Axl and Billy Howerdel would spend lots of time messing around in the pro tools room, Billy would play something then Axl would do rough vocals over the ideas. That's exactly what Nothing sounds like - a very rough sketch of a song idea. Kind of interesting to hear once, but I haven't listened to it since probably 2019.

Thanks for the info! It certainly sounds like a sketch that could be something, pun intended.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Live Like a Suicide said:

Apart from them sounding similar, are we even sure the vocal parts of Eye on You are confirmed to be the very same used on HS, or is that something we've just come to accept?

Yeah, I would like to see some actual evidence for that, fans often make facts out of assumptions. 

9 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Yeah, I would like to see some actual evidence for that, fans often make facts out of assumptions. 

The only thing that could potentially top the whole Perhaps Jukebox thing would be if we watch them release Eye On You as the next A-side in November and not Atlas Shrugged and that they didn't actually cannibalize that track of the vocals and those hey heys in Hard Skool were a red herring all along. Hahaha

54 minutes ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

The only thing that could potentially top the whole Perhaps Jukebox thing would be if we watch them release Eye On You as the next A-side in November and not Atlas Shrugged and that they didn't actually cannibalize that track of the vocals and those hey heys in Hard Skool were a red herring all along. Hahaha

I am sure nothing is coming out in November. I would love for it to be Ey On You, though :)

5 hours ago, Live Like a Suicide said:

They don't sound exactly the same to me, but since the vast majority of users insisted they were the same I guess those of us with doubts just kind of accepted it.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, ShadowOfTheWave said:

They don't sound exactly the same to me, but since the vast majority of users insisted they were the same I guess those of us with doubts just kind of accepted it.

I just listened to them to compare and I agree. Doesn't sound exactly the same but the "Hey-Heys" in Hard Skool are quite hidden in the mix so it is hard to say.  In Eye On You they change a bit each time they are repeated, in Hard Skool it seems to be the same "Hey-hey" repeated again and again. I think the tempo is different too. It could be that they have samples the first "Hey-heys" from Eye On You and used they repeatedly in the breakdown in Hard Skool, I really can't say. When I heard the final version of Hard Skool I immediately thought of Eye on You, but not because the "Hey-heys" were identical but more because the whole new breakdown reminded me of that part of Eye On You.

Even if they have sampled from Eye On You, I don't think it would prevent them from releasing Eye On You, too. 

• Like 2