Rock N' Roll Aint Easy

What are everybody's thoughts on Dizzy's solo album? I've never seen anybody discussing this album or any of the songs. It apparently was a 10 year process, and a lot of work went into it. I for one fell in love with it the day it was released, and still to this day love it. I think out of all of the albums GnR members have released, it's easily the best one. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 2020_Intensions said:

What are everybody's thoughts on Dizzy's solo album? I've never seen anybody discussing this album or any of the songs. It apparently was a 10 year process, and a lot of work went into it. I for one fell in love with it the day it was released, and still to this day love it. I think out of all of the albums GnR members have released, it's easily the best one. 

I didnt enjoy it. I was hoping for a more piano based album. But, I do love Dizzy. 

• Like 1

Some great singing there + songs like Crestfallen or Forgotten Cases and especially Fragile Water are surprisingly good with some strange but interesting flavor of American musical on the top of it. Enjoyed it much more than Gilby's or Duff's last solo efforts.

But as for the best solo effort - Izzy Stradlin and the Ju Ju Hounds. Period.

Edited by Rayno
  • PERHAPS 1

2 hours ago, Rayno said:

Some great singing there + songs like Crestfallen or Forgotten Cases and especially Fragile Water are surprisingly good with some strange but interesting flavor of American musical on the top of it. Enjoyed it much more than Gilby's or Duff's last solo efforts.

But as for the best solo effort - Izzy Stradlin and the Ju Ju Hounds. Period.

I'd have to go with those last two Loaded records. They were cool.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DingBat said:

I'd have to go with those last two Loaded records. They were cool.

Interesting. I like them both but to me Dark Days is - along with Neurotic Outsiders - the greatest Duff's solo output of all. Also Beautiful Disease is very cool record, especially Who's to Blame. Oh wait, and Walking Papers and Leevee Walkers... The motherfucker puto out more stuff than Izzy! :-D

• GNFNR 1

On 9/2/2023 at 3:58 AM, 2020_Intensions said:

I'd agree. Loved it. Bought it as soon as it came out. Whether it's the best of them all, I'm not sure....but it's up there without a doubt. 

What struck me about it (other than the fact it was unfairly ignored) was that pretty much any song on it would have made a great GNR song. Lots of them even feature most of the Nu-GNR lineup as I recall. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, allwaystired said:

I'd agree. Loved it. Bought it as soon as it came out. Whether it's the best of them all, I'm not sure....but it's up there without a doubt. 

What struck me about it (other than the fact it was unfairly ignored) was that pretty much any song on it would have made a great GNR song. Lots of them even feature most of the Nu-GNR lineup as I recall. 

Many songs off that album I could definitely hear Axl singing. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, allwaystired said:

I wonder if they were later ideas though, from around the BBF/early Ashba time? 

Some of them may be even from the '90s. Dizzy had intended to make a solo album since then, he had recorded some songs and even Slash had played on one or two. Later, during the CD era, he tried again to release his solo album but he eventually didn't (maybe he couldn't find a label or something).

• Like 1

Some old quotes regarding Dizzy's plans for a solo album:

Slash: I've just been recording two of Dizzy's songs. I'll play you one. It's only piano and acoustic guitar. I heard it when we were on the road. […] It's really pretty. [Kerrang! March 12, 1994]

Fast forward to 2008, Del James mentioned he was producing Dizzy's solo album:

Del: I met Todd [Youth] when the Chelsea Smiles opened for my dear friends, the Backyard Babies. I knew who Todd was and he knew who I was so we get to chatting and got along just fine. We're both from New York, we both speak the same language, and he too is sober. I've been producing Dizzy Reed's solo record and there was one track in particular, "Reparations," that I knew Youth would perfect for. He said yes but it was the way that he said yes, like never asking me about payment or contracts or any shit like that, that made me dig him even more. And he ripped balls on that song! [Mudkiss, Sept. 2008]

Then in 2011 Dizzy said that he had finished recording the album in 2010 and was going to release it in 2012:

Dizzy: I recorded a record last year, called ‘Rock and Roll Ain’t Easy,’ under my name, that should hopefully be coming out the first part of next year. When Guns N’ Roses aren’t touring I’ve been out supporting that already. [...] I am singing, or, crooning as I like to say. It’s very rootsy, very groovy, very rocking, a lot of cool piano based songs, and about half of it is guitar-based songs. [Classic Rock, November 2011]