THE GENERAL - MONSTERS - Official Discussion Thread. NO LINKS OR ASKING FOR LINKS

6 hours ago, jacdaniel said:

I have to give my honest opinion on these songs. After plenty of listens, I still feel meh about them. I'm not sure they'll ever be played live as they'd be a real set/mood killer. 

I think I find it hard as the songs are both 100% Axl solo songs featuring Slash and Duff.  Like all CD era songs, they aren't really guitar driven. No big riffs or anything like that.  

I think it's time for me to accept the fact that this band is no longer for me creatively unless they're willing to write an album together. 

I always find it exciting when something new appears, however, I have accepted that most of the newer stuff is just not really my thing. I'll always love the band for everything they released before '94. 

If they ever release something that's actually new (and not CD leftovers) I hope to be surprised and love it. 

I seriously can't see a real new album ever being released.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, janrichmond said:

I always find it exciting when something new appears, however, I have accepted that most of the newer stuff is just not really my thing. I'll always love the band for everything they released before '94. 

If they ever release something that's actually new (and not CD leftovers) I hope to be surprised and love it. 

Slash needs to write a new riff, Axl needs to write new lyrics and sing to the riff, repeat X 10, killer album 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Blackstar said:

The school bell and the spelling bother me, too,  but not to the point to ruin the song for me.

I don't get why it's such a big deal. It's not like there hasn't been cheesy stuff on GN'R songs before. "Cool ranch dressing", for example - I haven't seen many people being so put off by that.

I think the bell bothers me to an irrational degree because it's such a cliche 80s rock trope.

Where most Guns cheese, whether "Cool Ranch Dressing" or the vocal intro to Scraped, are at least unique Axlisms, not something you'd expect to hear on a Ratt or Motley Crue song from the mid-80s.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, alfa75 said:

Couldn't disagree more. Love the lyrics on Perhaps, TG, and Monsters. I think Mike Patton is much more into using his lyrics, which are often nonsensical as just an extra sound rather than any way of communicating anything. I'm a huge FNM fan for the record.

Well both statements can be true, apples and oranges at the end of the day, I could open a new can of worms and list another side project of his, yes I called fnm his side project. For the record I wasn't making a comparison between the two. 

The comment originally stems from Axl's subpar work from the CD era when compared to Illusions imo.

1 hour ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

Has anyone figured out the chords for either song yet?

I did, but I think The General is standard tuning, while Monsters is standard drop D. 

Do you want just the basic chords? Because there's some stuff in The General that I'm not sure what is the chord name (I know very little of music theory).

1 hour ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

Has anyone figured out the chords for either song yet?

-10                               11-10        -

-      6     8-9                                  -

-                      8-7                         -                      6-7-8-7

-                                                    -       4-5-6-5                 6-7-8-7-6-0

-                                                    -                                                          8-9-10

-                                                     -                                                                      ---slide---15

repeat. intro to the general

5 minutes ago, Miden34 said:

-10                               11-10        -

-      6     8-9                                  -

-                      8-7                         -                      6-7-8-7

-                                                    -       4-5-6-5                 6-7-8-7-6-0

-                                                    -                                                          8-9-10

-                                                     -                                                                      ---slide---15

repeat. intro to the general

Good work. This Slash wah riff, there's a second part where it ends in 8-7-6-5.

4 hours ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

Blackstar says “ruined for him”, and it most definitely did, I can’t imagine the band and TB aren’t fuming at the ears over this leak.

Well, unless you believe the tin foil hatters who think TB and Axl leaked these themselves... :lol:

I have little sympathy for TB or Axl about these leaks. You beat a dog enough eventually it bites back. GnR fans are mistreated and not cared for at all by them, Axl is worth $300m and TB run a management company (poorly) so at least you know, talk to us occasionally or even better, release new music semi regularly when you say you will. 

5 minutes ago, Voodoochild said:

Good work. This Slash wah riff, there's a second part where it ends in 8-7-6-5.

ahhhh got ya! and thank you! i remember hearing that part but forgot to add it to the tab. figured someone would come along and help and look what we have. i thought though it when to 3 on low E but i think that was wrong. :) whether people love or hate the songs its been some fun times on this forum the last few weeks xD

Edited by Miden34
  • GNFNR 1

1 hour ago, janrichmond said:

I can see a new album being released, but you'll probably won't like it. Because it's more than likely just more CD stuff. And even new stuff will sound more modern / different.

Is it wrong that I find ‘The General’ extremely catchy and find myself singing “Daddy doooont” out loud?

I doubt it was Axl’s intention when he wrote it but it really is an ear worm. I think I’m favouring it over ‘Monsters’ now but it’s very close.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, JimiRose said:

Well, unless you believe the tin foil hatters who think TB and Axl leaked these themselves... :lol:

I have little sympathy for TB or Axl about these leaks. You beat a dog enough eventually it bites back. GnR fans are mistreated and not cared for at all by them, Axl is worth $300m and TB run a management company (poorly) so at least you know, talk to us occasionally or even better, release new music semi regularly when you say you will. 

Well... That's kinda bullshit. I get that we're underserved with new music and info and treated with a bit of contempt (well this forum) but when the band is actually putting stuff out and they are just trying to get the quality of the finished product up to their standard AND then someone leaks the tracks? I think that's a bit shit of whoever leaked it.

Yes, they should have announced the delay earlier than the day after the original shipping date😄, but whatever! A few extra weeks is no big deal. We want it all yesterday. When we had nothing it was "I'd just like to hear anything" then we got one song, then it became "when are they releasing more". Underserved but we're also insatiable.

Anybody still hoping for gnr to suddenly be this slick operation that hits all the targets, nope. That is never going to happen. Would be great, but no. 

11 minutes ago, Lethalis said:

I can see a new album being released, but you'll probably won't like it. Because it's more than likely just more CD stuff. And even new stuff will sound more modern / different.

Well if Slash is writing it will instantly sound more traditional. The music he's recording on right now is a predetermined outcome, he can't change the chords he just gets to add some Slash sauce on top of it. Slash's solo material with Axl on top is basically what most gnr fans want. Whether that's what the collective of AXL, Slash and Duff want? Is questionable 

2 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

Well... That's kinda bullshit. I get that we're underserved with new music and info and treated with a bit of contempt (well this forum) but when the band is actually putting stuff out and they are just trying to get the quality of the finished product up to their standard AND then someone leaks the tracks? I think that's a bit shit of whoever leaked it.

Yes, they should have announced the delay earlier than the day after the original shipping date😄, but whatever! A few extra weeks is no big deal. We want it all yesterday. When we had nothing it was "I'd just like to hear anything" then we got one song, then it became "when are they releasing more". Underserved but we're also insatiable.

Anybody still hoping for gnr to suddenly be this slick operation that hits all the targets, nope. That is never going to happen. Would be great, but no. 

It's only acceptable (it isnt, i mean in the tiniest way) if they already have good trust and reputation what they did re this vinyl release. The fact is after 15 years or BS and 15 before that when it came to releasing, hearing from Axl etc means they don't get a pass. If they had an impeccable record of course I;d say you know what, fair enough, everyone makes a mistake and sometimes things aren't perfect. But when that is what happens everytime you don't give them a pass. 95% of the convos on here are about unreleased tracks from 24 years ago, and a chat axl did with the forum 15 years ago. That's not just starvation, that is famine! the reason these 2 things are so constant is because outside of touring the band gives us literally nothing, so every morsel is treated like a 9 course dinner. 

7 minutes ago, GNFNRUK said:

Is it wrong that I find ‘The General’ extremely catchy and find myself singing “Daddy doooont” out loud?

I doubt it was Axl’s intention when he wrote it but it really is an ear worm. I think I’m favouring it over ‘Monsters’ now but it’s very close.

It's that backing vocal in the higher octave that really makes that bit catchy and haunting for me. When it comes to crafting all round the vocals, backing, oohs, main vocal, highs and lows and echos, Axl is beyond fastidious and normally gets it perfect every time. 

• Like 3