THE GENERAL - MONSTERS - Official Discussion Thread. NO LINKS OR ASKING FOR LINKS

7 hours ago, evilfacelessturtle said:

You can't complain about how long it takes the singles to come out and completely ignore how much longer an album takes.

Ignoring the fact that how long it takes to release a single or an album are not 24 years are we? Are you aware of any other bands apart from GnR or do you think this is normal process? Even GnR didn't operate this way pre 1994...

12 hours ago, Slugworth said:

I was just expecting higher quality of the same exact thing we've been listening to.

I sometimes forget this is GNR and such simple expectations are too much to expect.

It has to be amateur hour top to bottom, 24/7/365. Even their "big guns" can't escape this fate.

Yep, I'd agree on that one. I've worked on getting my expectations as low as possible so I'm not surprised! 

11 hours ago, Its Tino said:

Isn’t it confined Monsters is not on the vinyl tho.

Yep. But I'm very much in the camp that thinks it was meant to be, based on the quality issue and the rights registration of the two tracks together. 

Others think differently of course, and I'm not sure we'll ever find out. I'm also not sure that we'll get an official Monsters release now. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

Yep, I'd agree on that one. I've worked on getting my expectations as low as possible so I'm not surprised! 

Yep. But I'm very much in the camp that thinks it was meant to be, based on the quality issue and the rights registration of the two tracks together. 

Others think differently of course, and I'm not sure we'll ever find out. I'm also not sure that we'll get an official Monsters release now. 

no way to really know, of course, but I think Monsters will be officially released eventually. Would be a shame if Axl decided to not do it cause it's a very strong track imo, and most fans in here seems to really like it. I'm sure the band is aware of that.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

It's not gonna be a hidden/bonus track, and it's really gonna suck if they just sit on it for a year, but I wouldn't be surprised if that's what happens. It's a shame, because it's by far the best NITL-era single we've heard so far.

The best thing they could do is release it on December 24, tweet something like 'this years tour was a fucking monster, thanks everyone' and capitalize on whatever hype still remains.

Considering that Axl recorded the vocals on Christmas, that would make sense too. 

• Like 1

Gotta love this joint.  Two decades later, and the user base is still conjuring up fanciful, pie in the sky release strategies.

"Monster of a tour". You guys crack me up!  Does that sound like something Axl Rose has ever done?  A social media post announcing a surprise release? 

If nothing else, I get a chuckle and a smile on my face to start the day.  Could certainly be worse!:D

Edited by oneway23
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, alfa75 said:

Sure. Axl is ok with "knocking" the songs down. Maybe you don't like them in their final form, but I find it impossible to believe he would be ok with "lesser" versions being the released ones.

I have thought that, until 2021 Hard Skool came out. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rovim said:

no way to really know, of course, but I think Monsters will be officially released eventually. Would be a shame if Axl decided to not do it cause it's a very strong track imo, and most fans in here seems to really like it. I'm sure the band is aware of that.

Definitely a good song, but I'm not sure what the fans want factor in at all to what the band does. We're just seen as a bit of a pain in the arse unless we're forking out for some crappy super expensive 'early entry VIP' tickets and standing on the front row flapping Nightrain passports around to catch an approving glance from someone who isn't in the band! 

I hope it gets a release one day too, but, you know, we have it at least. It's like all the rest of the leaked stuff - it might never get an official release, but at least we get to listen to it. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

Definitely a good song, but I'm not sure what the fans want factor in at all to what the band does. We're just seen as a bit of a pain in the arse unless we're forking out for some crappy super expensive 'early entry VIP' tickets and standing on the front row flapping Nightrain passports around to catch an approving glance from someone who isn't in the band! 

I hope it gets a release one day too, but, you know, we have it at least. It's like all the rest of the leaked stuff - it might never get an official release, but at least we get to listen to it. 

I think it must be nice for most musicians to know that the hardcore fanbase is into it. I don't think Axl's main motivation is if the fans like it or not, he released Absurd as the first single of the reunited lineup after all, but it might influence the decision if he is still on the fence when it comes to releasing it, which I don't think he is anyway (just a guess)

agreed about the last part of your post, it's nice to now have Absurd, Atlas, SOG, HS, Perhaps, The General, and Monsters in some form. Eye On You as well plus OMG and Chinese the album. 23 tunes from Chinese era with vocals. Could have been worse.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Rovim said:

I think it must be nice for most musicians to know that the hardcore fanbase is into it. I don't think Axl's main motivation is if the fans like it or not, he released Absurd as the first single of the reunited lineup after all, but it might influence the decision if he is still on the fence when it comes to releasing it, which I don't think he is anyway (just a guess)

agreed about the last part of your post, it's nice to now have Absurd, Atlas, SOG, HS, Perhaps, The General, and Monsters in some form. Eye On You as well plus OMG and Chinese the album. 23 tunes from Chinese era with vocals. Could have been worse.

Yep. I don't think we'll hear anything now that isn't part of those leaks (and I think it's possible we might not even hear that), so really we're at the stage where it's just a curiosity thing to see how Slash's guitar differs from the others if they manage to release anything. 

If it happens - ok, fine. If it's too difficult for them to even release these songs, well, there we go. I think they're probably spent as a creative force now. 

Edited by allwaystired

10 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

Yep. I don't think we'll hear anything now that isn't part of those leaks (and I think it's possible we might not even hear that), so really we're at the stage where it's just a curiosity thing to see how Slash's guitar differs from the others if they manage to release anything. 

If it happens - ok, fine. If it's too difficult for them to even release these songs, well, there we go. I think they're probably spent as a creative force now. 

I believe there are still finished and unfinished material with vocals that Axl might still want to release, who knows? it's possible that Slash and Duff could rerecord more Chinese era tracks, but no one knows what the plan is when it comes to what Axl wants to do (that is if they're planning to release more tunes from that era or that it ends with what we have now, which I don't think will be the case)

Beating a dead horse, but man I hope they release this digitally as a single on Friday. Releasing The General should be a victory lap for the GNR, especially since it’s very likely the last “new” song we’ll get  for the foreseeable future. To see its release bungled and half-assed would be a real shame.  

5 minutes ago, Nick85 said:

Beating a dead horse, but man I hope they release this digitally as a single on Friday. Releasing The General should be a victory lap for the GNR, especially since it’s very likely the last “new” song we’ll get  for the foreseeable future. To see its release bungled and half-assed would be a real shame.  

If the user on GNR Evo claiming to have information from Universal Italy is legit and not a troll, it was originally going to be released on streaming platforms on Dec. 1st, but, in classic GN'R fashion, the digital release has been postponed to Dec. 8, the date the 7-inch ships.

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, Rovim said:

I believe there are still finished and unfinished material with vocals that Axl might still want to release, who knows? it's possible that Slash and Duff could rerecord more Chinese era tracks, but no one knows what the plan is when it comes to what Axl wants to do (that is if they're planning to release more tunes from that era or that it ends with what we have now, which I don't think will be the case)

I can't believe in a world where Slash & Duff didn't record on Oklahoma.  If they haven't already done so, they need to. 

Devious Bastard is also right up their alley.

Edited by oneway23
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, oneway23 said:

I can't believe in a world where Slash & Duff didn't record on Oklahoma.  If they haven't already done so, they need to.

yes, I also think Oklahoma/Berlin has a lot of potential. Even if they did rerecord or will, it's probably going to be a long time until we get to hear, if at all. 

in general, I think that just cause Axl sat on these tunes for decades, doesn't mean he won't release at least some of it in the future. Seems like it could be a "big gun".

1 minute ago, kever20 said:

Am I the only one who misses the horn section from the concert intros? It was such a sinister, cinematic sound. I like the orchestra we can hear in the leaked mix, and I imagine the official release will have them higher in the mix.

Looney tunes was the best. Very fitting

• Haha 2