THE GENERAL - MONSTERS - Official Discussion Thread. NO LINKS OR ASKING FOR LINKS

image.png

Great job on encasing the "oh hi Mark" guy in the walls! :lol:

19 minutes ago, Voodoochild said:

Did he sing anything on live performance? Maybe that could indicate something.

That's a good idea! From what I saw from a filmed video, Duff doesn't seem to be near a microphone most of the time. Just rocking that bass throughout.

Edited by BucketEgg
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, ZoSoRose said:

I do have to say, I am quite happy with Slash's solo in The General. It is good to have some unhinged Slash shredding on a GNR track, again!

It's his best solo out of all reunion songs imo. The solo on Monsters is good too, but not that special. I'm more a fan of his work during the verses and during the bridge of Monsters. That's great. But when it comes to guitar solos The General outro is what I like the most. It's electrifying and it's mean. Combined with Axl the outro is this GNR magic we all wished for after so many years. My only complaint is that I hoped the guitar would be a little bit more prominent in the final mix. 

Monsters is the overall the better song but General has the better outro.

Edited by Free Bird
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, JimiRose said:

I think it's a safe bet on atlas. Absolutely nothing but blind hope about State of grace. 

Safe bet? But why? I haven't seen or heard any evidence that Atlas would be coming any time soon. I do believe that both of these songs will be released some day. But there doesn't seem to be any evidence for that day being any time soon.

11 minutes ago, Lies They Tell said:

Safe bet? But why? I haven't seen or heard any evidence that Atlas would be coming any time soon. I do believe that both of these songs will be released some day. But there doesn't seem to be any evidence for that day being any time soon.

Circumstantial evidence is all there is. It’s based on the Village leaks with vocals have mostly all been released. 

1 hour ago, Voodoochild said:

Did he sing anything on live performance? Maybe that could indicate something.

I thing that see Duff singing something in the chorus, I'll see the vids again. Perhaps I'm wrong.

Edit: Nope, just seen some vids and only Axl is singing.

Edited by axljungle
  • Haha 1

If verse 1 and 2 are going to be the same thing, they at least could've peeled back some of the layers on one of them so they weren't the SAME thing twice. I'm also thinking that because I'd love to hear the verse a little less muddied up by all of those vocal parts.

2 minutes ago, uzi your illusion said:

Amazing! Thanks for clarifying. Look forward to hearing it tomorrow. 

I hope I'll just go to bed like a normal person instead of waiting until midnight just to hear something that sounds the same as the leak :lol:

I'm stupid like that.

39 minutes ago, Lies They Tell said:

It was completed for CD and missed out due to time length issues. It is a fully finished song and as we know there arent too many of those left. It's logical. Could be wrong. But seeing as all the released songs were songs we already knew had vocals, i'd be completely shocked if it is anything else. Atlas, state of grace and soul monster. 2 of those 3 is a very safe bet.

5 minutes ago, Lethalis said:

I hope I'll just go to bed like a normal person instead of waiting until midnight just to hear something that sounds the same as the leak :lol:

I'm stupid like that.

why did people think it'd be different to the leak though? They played it live and the live version was identical to the leak so we knew how it would sound, just slightly better audio quality. 

1 minute ago, JimiRose said:

We can't know everything but we can use our logic. 26 completed songs in 2006 of which axl predicted they'd finish 32. 14 on CD. OMG. Atlas. the 4 released. Monsters. thats 22 we know where without doubt on that list. State of grace is definitely another one. it was a fully fledged song in 1999. No idea why people think it was abandoned, it's not like axl was laying down vocals on songs he was willing to abandon. so that's 23.

So that leaves 3 minimum 9 maximum songs we havent heard. Dj ashba, stinson, bumblefoot made it clear the 2.0 version of nugnr recorded nothing original. they also did nothing to tracks posts 07/08. they have said Axl tinkered with new songs and played around with old ones, but there is nothing to suggest the band wrote any new songs from 09-15. then reunion happened. Slash and duff and 4tus have all said they have written nothing new in that time, except reworking 5-6 CD leftovers. given the CD2 tracklist had Nothing and Atlas on them, again songs that leaked with vocals, it pushes closer to this theory. So again we can't say anything with 100% certainty of course, but we can use all the information available to us and draw a very likely conclusion. This isn't pele saying 'no vocals after 99' but there were defintely no band created new songs after 07/08. and we knew how many they had then. 

Axl in 2014 said the second part of Chinese was already recorded, and that they have worked on some of that, and written new things. We can expect 12-14 songs for CD2, based on the first album and other Guns albums.

1. Hard Skool

2. Absurd

3. Perhaps

4. The General

5. Monsters

6. Atlas Shrugged

7. Going Down

8. Oh My God

So that leaves 4+ other songs. Could be Nothing, Eye On You, State Of Grace, Berlin, Seven, Tonto, Cuban Skies, Monstrocity, Quick Song, Seven, Thyme/P.R.L. and Zodiac 13 and perhaps others, and also some of these may be the same songs with different names.

If I were a betting man, not counting remixes, and not counting the 5 NITL re-worked songs (if you count Monsters), I believe they still have a dozen or so completed songs with vocals we have yet to hear officially. So, not too far off from your assessment. I'm just a bit more optimistic. :P 

• Like 1

Just now, Sweersa said:

Axl in 2014 said the second part of Chinese was already recorded, and that they have worked on some of that, and written new things. We can expect 12-14 songs for CD2, based on the first album and other Guns albums.

1. Hard Skool

2. Absurd

3. Perhaps

4. The General

5. Monsters

6. Atlas Shrugged

7. Going Down

8. Oh My God

So that leaves 4+ other songs. Could be Nothing, Eye On You, State Of Grace, Berlin, Seven, Tonto, Cuban Skies, Monstrocity, Quick Song, Seven, Thyme/P.R.L. and Zodiac 13 and perhaps others, and also some of these may be the same songs with different names.

If I were a betting man, not counting remixes, and not counting the 5 NITL re-worked songs (if you count Monsters), I believe they still have a dozen or so completed songs with vocals we have yet to hear officially. So, not too far off from your assessment. I'm just a bit more optimistic. :P 

I hope you are right, but this band has taught me to expect the worst! I'd assume of the 3-9 leftovers i mentioned, going down, nothing are obv 2 - we've heard them. Seven must have as it was mentioned as the best song that beltrami worked on. axl has mentioned vocals for berlin/oklahoma. the rest.. things like 4 heavens could genuinly be a re made KOHD and the rest could have been the remixes. I hope quick song had a vocal, i think axl defintely intended too, theres a great song there.