The General Music Video Discussion Thread

2 minutes ago, adamsapple said:

If people need a third party "explanation on social media" for a music video, the music video is a failure.

It's not about people getting it or not. It's about the creators making them get it or not.

I don't know much about AI, but I know Guns N' Roses never needed to have any of their music videos explained to me by third party hipsters living in their own bubble in front of a fucking screen.

If Michael Jackson was alive he'd show you how AI and music videos go together. And he surely wouldn't need a fucking third party explanation on social media for me to "get it".

its' not GNR's fault Creative Works chose to issue that statement. it seems the negative feedback got to the company and they felt the need to explain themselves

11 minutes ago, Stay.Of.Execution said:

its' not GNR's fault Creative Works chose to issue that statement. it seems the negative feedback got to the company and they felt the need to explain themselves

Exactly, im not blaming this on GNR or Axl or anybody in the band.
This is a management and creative team disaster, not the musical artists.
I don't know, but I highly doubt Axl would be ok with it watching that back if he was aware of how easily stuff like that could be generated with zero effort.

I'm honestly glad we are getting any releases on youtube anyways, and not through a subscription service.
Imagine having to buy that music video on GNRFlix and seeing that shit

Edited by Skamos66

19 minutes ago, adamsapple said:

If people need a third party "explanation on social media" for a music video, the music video is a failure.

It's not about people getting it or not. It's about the creators making them get it or not.

I don't know much about AI, but I know Guns N' Roses never needed to have any of their music videos explained to me by third party hipsters living in their own bubble in front of a fucking screen.

If Michael Jackson was alive he'd show you how AI and music videos go together. And he surely wouldn't need a fucking third party explanation on social media for me to "get it".

True they used to explain the videos themselves on a separate video you could buy :lol: And I still don't get them :(

• Haha 3

7 minutes ago, Axls_Moustache_Rules said:

If you think this is embarrassing and not cool you guys should check out the November Rain music video!

I least the cake in that doesn't have limbs sticking out of it with lizard hands

• Haha 1

The November Rain video is cringe. Especially nowadays. That being said, The General is far, far worse. There's just no comparison. November Rain wasn't a 50-dollar video made by a cellphone app and live footage. C'mon, guys :facepalm:

• Like 1

Just a couple of thoughts:

1-Although it seems to be a "truth" that TG is trash, it's not at all a universal feeling. I would agree that those who like it are in the minority, but that does not mean anything. There has been negativity hurled about pretty much all, if not all, songs in the GNR catalogue. Even some of their biggest hits. Just opinions. 

I would much rather listen to TG than TIL, which is for me, far and away the most cringeworthy song in their catalog, but hey that's just me, and I know many disagree.

2-The video which I'm not a fan of, is still an artistic choice. Those who deride AI as being lazy, don't really understand how AI works. I know many people will now step forward and say "I can do better" but "better" as always is subjective. Maybe the visuals are an interpretation of what Axl experienced or "saw" in his mind. I can tell you, as a creative professional who has tried to use AI effectively, with some success, it is not so easy to get exactly what you had in mind.  Not as easy as it looks, basically. Also, there are some brilliant creatives using AI, with outstanding results (a lot better than TG video in my opinion). 

As far as being against AI for reasons of principle, which I can certainly understand, AI is here to stay and only going to get better and more pervasive in creative processes of all kinds. Fighting it is a time wasting endeavour.

3- I think the cover artwork for TG is very cool, and other designers/artists I know agree. Not to say that anyone's opinion is more valuable than anyone else's, but I certainly wouldn't say that it's universally derided and deemed low quality as some here would suggest.

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, Stay.Of.Execution said:

November Rain is one of the most iconic videos ever. Especially slash's scene outside the church

This. 

Ask random people on the streets what they think of when they hear Guns N Roses, chances are pretty high that they'll at least say something like "that long ballad with that video with the church" or something to that effect. Most people, from a certain age on, know the video, if they like the aesthetic or not is on a different page.

• Like 1

I don't think anyone here is arguing that the November Rain video isn't well-known or iconic :lol:

It is still possible on a personal level to think it is shit, though. You know, this tricky difference between what other people think and what you think, and the difference between something being well-known (like Hitler) and being well-liked.  

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Stay.Of.Execution said:

November Rain is one of the most iconic videos ever. Especially slash's scene outside the church

I think it's both cheesy and iconic. It's also a pretty iconic looking band. I'm pretty sure that scene outside the church was Slash's idea. Gn'R never really had very good music videos which had a clear story/concept. My favorite Gn'R music videos are from the AFD era where things like great editing of live footage like PC or capturing the personalities of the band members made it cool.

also WTTJ Live Era music video works for me for the same reasons.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

I don't think anyone here is arguing that the November Rain video isn't well-known or iconic :lol:

It is still possible on a personal level to think it is shit, though. You know, this tricky difference between what other people think and what you think, and the difference between something being well-known (like Hitler) and being well-liked.  

Yeah, no shit, Captain Obvious. :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

It's about as cool as when Slash ascended from the ocean in the Estranged video.

that was a Slash double right? Estranged music video is another cheesy and clumsy attempt from Axl imo. I think Slash came up with the outside scene in November Rain cause it was too cheesy for him to do anything else instead inside the church.

at least the UYI music videos served their commercial purpose, especially YCBM (which I think is a fun video), Don't Cry, and November Rain.

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Rovim said:

Slash said it was a Slash double and that it wasn't him in an interview where the interviewer mentioned that scene. I think because of the risk involved in shooting that scene.

Okay, cool. I will probably get to that interview later. Still trawling through interviews from March 2018, it is slow work cuz I have to transcribe so many of them (thank you very much, Brando and Sid!)

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Rovim said:

Slash said it was a Slash double and that it wasn't him in an interview where the interviewer mentioned that scene. I think because of the risk involved.

Maybe it was a mix of him and the stunt double in the end.

Just now, janrichmond said:

Maybe it was a mix of him and the stunt double in the end.

but you can see it's not Slash if you look closely for the full duration of the scene iirc Doesn't look like Slash's body and not really how he moves.

• Like 1