Ranking the four new GN'R singles, "Just Ken" and "Killing Floor"

8 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

It's never coming out without Slash. If that happened it would signal the beginning of the end for Slash's current time in gnr.

They don't need it to continue selling tickets, that's well proven... They need it to make themselves more of a relevant act. Historically speaking they need a song/record that says we're back and we can still go. The tracks they released scream "we don't need to release music and we don't care that this is not great". 

I am not so sure it won't come out without Slash. It wouldn't make a lot of sense now when the band is touring and caching in on Slash having rejoined the band, but this touring won't last forever and if Slash hasn't already added his parts to the song I suppose Axl will release them without Slash. Maybe after the current lineup has disbanded or as part of some box set in the band's sunset years. 

I agree with you that new music written by this lineup is required to make the band relevant again. That being said, I don't think they can become relevant again except to old fans who still listen to rock. Slash and Duff clearly wants to make a new record, a physical testament to them being back in the band and possibly - in their mind - to end the band on a better note after the detour that was Chinese Democracy. But I am not so sure Axl has it in him to do that. So don't get your hopes up.

5 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

I am not so sure it won't come out without Slash. It wouldn't make a lot of sense now when the band is touring and caching in on Slash having rejoined the band, but this touring won't last forever and if Slash hasn't already added his parts to the song I suppose Axl will release them without Slash. Maybe after the current lineup has disbanded or as part of some box set in the band's sunset years. 

I agree with you that new music written by this lineup is required to make the band relevant again. That being said, I don't think they can become relevant again except to old fans who still listen to rock. Slash and Duff clearly wants to make a new record, a physical testament to them being back in the band and possibly - in their mind - to end the band on a better note after the detour that was Chinese Democracy. But I am not so sure Axl has it in him to do that. So don't get your hopes up.

My hopes were dashed years ago. I am of the belief that we've currently got (maybe add 2 more singles) everything we're ever getting from gnr in terms of new original music.

• Confused 1

8 hours ago, El Guapo said:

Mike Clink

Maybe a return wouldn't be a bad thing. They know/trust each other and I think Axls got most of the experimentation out of his system and maybe could make a more rock focussed record. 

• Confused 1

1. Killing Floor / ABSURD

3. Perhaps

4. The General

5. Just Ken

6. Hard School (which I refuse to write with a k because I'm not a moron) look_how_they_massacred_my_boy.jpg 

Edited by username
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

My hopes were dashed years ago. I am of the belief that we've currently got (maybe add 2 more singles) everything we're ever getting from gnr in terms of new original music.

Why do you think that Axl doesn't want to release more of the music that he's got?

On 3/20/2024 at 9:42 AM, StrangerInThisTown said:

6./5. The General/ I'm Just Ken

I honestly can't tell what would feel more embarrassing to be blasting out of your car around town with your windows down, I'm Just Ken or The General

I would proudly blast the The General from my car (and have when it first leaked along with Monsters). Def better than any of that rap garbage I hear blaring from some cars.

6 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

Why do you think that Axl doesn't want to release more of the music that he's got?

I don't. I think he still has songs he wants released. I don't know how much more finished music he has up his sleeve... all I hope is that there is some more material in that vault that is more exciting than what we've heard through leaks and releases. I'd love to hear a fleshed out and improved version of state of grace, besides that I have no interest in hearing the remainder of the songs IF they haven't seen drastic changes. That's just me of course, I know loads here love those leak demos.

5 hours ago, DannyVinyard said:

I would proudly blast the The General from my car (and have when it first leaked along with Monsters). Def better than any of that rap garbage I hear blaring from some cars.

If I was reenacting the scene from Don't cry, that would be the song I'd want to drive off a cliff.

7 hours ago, username said:

3. Perhaps

4. The General

5. Just Ken

6. Hard School (which I refuse to write with a k because I'm not a moron) look_how_they_massacred_my_boy.jpg 

How is being a moron writing the song title how it's supposed to be written? it actually seems dumber to write it other way😄

On 3/21/2024 at 11:51 PM, janrichmond said:

Killing Floor has the top spot for me

1. Killing Floor
  2. Hardschool/Perhaps
  3. I'm Just Ken
  4. Absurd/ The General.

Basically this for me.

Killing Floor - just love the blues rock stuff. 

Harskool is kool.

Perhaps is good too.

Just Ken- have to relisten tbh. 

Absurd/General sucks IMO.

• Like 1

“I’m Just Ken” is quite GNR adjacent besides having Slash as Mike Clink recorded Slash’s guitars for the track and former GNR (and current every other band) drummer Josh Freese does drums on the track.

• 2 weeks later...

1. Killing Floor

2. Hard Skool (Slash’s stamp all over it)

3. The General (outro contains the best guitar part out of the new GNR songs

4. Absurd 

5. Perhaps (probably the best written song of the new singles but the one with the weakest guitar solo and the most annoying chorus ‘heey heeeeeeey’)

6. I’m Just Ken (great performance during the Oscars but nothing I’d listen to in private. Great work, though)

On 3/22/2024 at 11:15 AM, username said:

3. Perhaps

4. The General

5. Just Ken

Is number 2 Nothing? :P

On 3/20/2024 at 9:23 PM, Gordon Comstock said:

6. The General - What a boring song this ended up being. For a song about such a serious topic, it's ridiculously simple. It doesn't go anywhere, kind of picks up at the end but then abruptly ends. If the term 'leftover' applies to anything they've released, this is it. We know they have better, more 'complete' songs, it really seems like they released this just because the title had become mythical.

Good summary. I like parts of the song, but as you said, it doesn't go anywhere and that is its biggest problem. The chorus is heavy and pretty rad. Feels like 3 different ideas slapped together and looped (which it is). The bridge is a mess then Slash slaps some shredding on the end to add a tiny bit of variety. The song was better by association when listened right in front of Monsters because you then at least had variety between the tracks. As a single, it is a complete misfire. 

I like The General as a forum legend and meme, and I got a kick out of seeing the debut of it in- person live, but if I wasn't aware of the infamy over the track, it would be a nothing for me. It certainly does not live up to the hype. It is too bad, because parts of it are cool. The chorus is simple but pretty neat, and it is one of the heaviest metal things the band has put out. Pieces of the orchestra are sinister and neat.

If Axl really worked out the best parts of that song and crafted different parts around it, it could have been a really cool song. Same with Absurd. Change the lyrics, add some parts and a real bridge for variety, put in a guitar solo and it is a completely acceptable comeback song. Unfortunately, these leftover tracks are just that- leftovers. They are repetitive and lack a lot of structural variety because they were the ideas that did not make the final cut. It doesn't mean I don't like them or that I am not happy to have them, because I really am, and I welcome more. But that does not change the fact of what these songs truly are. 

Even Hard Skool could have benefited from a completely different part of the bridge before or after the slide solo with some vocals. Think of the little bridge in YCBM. It isn't long or anything, but it does wonders to the song structure. Not every song needs a verse/chorus/verse/chorus/bridge/chorus structure (and some do); I used to really appreciate all the little changes and twists and turns in GNR songs that make them interesting.

My hope in 2016 was that the CD leftovers would have been completely redone. They should have reworked and rerecorded these songs from the ground up with Slash and Duff writing all- new sections around the existing ones. It would have fostered actual song writing and it could have even led to some all- new songs in addition to the reworked leftovers. Imagine them keeping the verse and chorus guitars of Absurd, adding a totally new bridge and some other parts, and Axl contributing all- new lyrics and vocals. Unfortunately, it seems Axl does not want to write and record new vocal sections, so it means they have to work with what they have and just record new guitars over all the old parts. 

Edited by ZoSoRose
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, ZoSoRose said:

They are repetitive and lack a lot of structural variety because they were the ideas that did not make the final cut. It doesn't mean I don't like them or that I am not happy to have them, because I really am, and I welcome more. But that does not change the fact of what these songs truly are. 

I wish people would stop perpetuating this. Just because a song wasn't on the 2008 album, doesn't mean it wasn't ready or finished by then. We know Atlas was ready, it just didn't fit onto the disc. Baz said Axl said The General fit the "third album" best lyrically. Songs jumped between the first two albums. Catcher was considered for CD2 for a time. Hardschool was nearly ready in 2000, but was also on the list for CD2, at least in early 2008.  Axl himself said CD2 would be out a year after the 2008 album, suggesting it was more or less ready then. In 2014 he said it was done for a while... They wouldn't have released a follow-up album of B-sides/discarded songs from the previous album, they were all from the same sessions over years of recording. Axl called CD2 the second part of Chinese. We only got half the story with the 2008 album, which is unfortunately because now our beloved CD2 is getting f***** by the NITL lineup, both from a performance and mixing standpoint. 

My hope in 2016 was that the CD leftovers would have been completely redone. They should have reworked and rerecorded these songs from the ground up with Slash and Duff writing all- new sections around the existing ones. 

Hard Skool (2021) fits that description, when compared to the 2000 mix. Absurd and Perhaps, not so much. (Which I prefer)

We don't know (most of us, at least) about The General, but we can assume from the 2010 clip of Monsters, they reworked that extensively as well into what leaked last year as Monsters. 

2 hours ago, Sweersa said:

I wish people would stop perpetuating this. Just because a song wasn't on the 2008 album, doesn't mean it wasn't ready or finished by then. We know Atlas was ready, it just didn't fit onto the disc. Baz said Axl said The General fit the "third album" best lyrically. Songs jumped between the first two albums. Catcher was considered for CD2 for a time. Hardschool was nearly ready in 2000, but was also on the list for CD2, at least in early 2008.  Axl himself said CD2 would be out a year after the 2008 album, suggesting it was more or less ready then. In 2014 he said it was done for a while... They wouldn't have released a follow-up album of B-sides/discarded songs from the previous album, they were all from the same sessions over years of recording. Axl called CD2 the second part of Chinese. We only got half the story with the 2008 album, which is unfortunately because now our beloved CD2 is getting f***** by the NITL lineup, both from a performance and mixing standpoint. 

I think you might be missing his point, as Atlas wasn’t mentioned anywhere in the lead up to your comment. Other than Hard Skool, the recent releases all feel incomplete due to repetitive and lazy lyrics in addition to some questionable production and mixing choices. They definitely feel like leftovers to me, even though I do really like Perhaps. If Perhaps was done during the Illusions I imagine someone would have assisted Axl with writing another verse or pushing him for another one before releasing it as is, but that’s just wishful thinking.

However, I do think the fact that we have Atlas and especially Monsters lends credibility to there being more of the so-called A list songs. I’m really interested in hearing a completed Oklahoma/Berlin, being that it was originally written by Axl. 

• Like 1

I wish people would stop perpetuating this. Just because a song wasn't on the 2008 album, doesn't mean it wasn't ready or finished by then. 

I'm just using my ears, man

• Like 1

We only got half the story with the 2008 album, which is unfortunately because now our beloved CD2 is getting f***** by the NITL lineup, both from a performance and mixing standpoint. 

I am going off of what we tangibly have other than what words Axl has said. All 4 officially released tracks sound like leftovers to me. Again, that does not mean I do not like them. I am very happy to have them and play them often enough. They still don't feel like A- tier material for me. Well, they just aren't. Perhaps is a 1- minute song that repeats almost exactly twice with a short solo in- between. Absurd has Axl's "PUSSY FULL OF MAGGOTS" verse repeat twice with no variation. Hard Skool is a little better, but still has a shit ton of repetition and minimal lyrics. The General is a mess of 3 sections that repeat. The bridge is even the same as the intro with throwaway lyrics! Monsters, I genuinely enjoy, and think is a great GNR track, but even that song suffers from some repetition with copying and pasting. The bridge really saves it, but even with it, none of these leftovers have the twists and turns and little parts and changes that make some GNR songs so unique. 

I will gladly buy Monsters when it is released on vinyl and any other songs that come out! I'd also be stoked for a compilation LP with all of these songs. It would be a surreal record for me to buy and own. I am not referring these songs as leftovers to be derogatory. I am, in fact, happy to accept them that way! I never thought I would hear a lot of these songs up until 2018 when we got the first leak of Monsters. 

I respectfully think it is insane to blame the lack of a follow up record on the current lineup. I know you love NuGNR, and that is cool (I have great memories from those days, too and think that 2012 Detroit show was unreal), but Axl had 8 years to put something out from CD to the reunion. He didn't. I am sure there was red tape and shit behind the scenes, but he never performed a new song live, never put out a single... nothing. For whatever reason, there wasn't going to be a CD2, even if it ever did exist. We should all just be happy to get these songs in any capacity. 

To me, these leftover tracks are not worth not having a reunion. That is nuts to me, dude. Axl, Slash, and Duff are the real band. I will take 2016 any day over a CD2 now knowing these songs aren't all that incredible. How could we not? The fact that we are getting these songs is just gravy at this point. I also disagree that the final versions are worse because of Slash and Duff. I know you love Bucket and Finck (I do, too), but I thought some of the Village versions were messes. Hard Skool's old intro and bridge were baffling to me. I'll take Slash's guitar on the final, any day. Absurd is enhanced with him, too. The song just sucks and that isn't on him. Perhaps works better for me with less going on, and Slash's and Robin's solos are just whatever to me. The General is just power chords except at the end, I have no reason to believe NuGNR guitarists would enhance it. Monsters sounds awesome with Slash imo (the NuGNR version sounded intriguing to me, too). But ultimately, who cares? These songs are ancient history, by now. As I said, they are gravy. I wish Axl would have just dumped them all with Slash and Duff in 2016 so we could all move on, but instead, it has been the slowest death ever for that era. Oh well, I'll take it and at least we know what the majority of these once- mythical songs sound like!

Shit, the best songs to me most likely were never even finished! I'd take Slashed- up Zodiac, Oklahoma, and Tonto in a heartbeat. 

I am going off of what we tangibly have other than what words Axl has said. All 4 officially released tracks sound like leftovers to me. Again, that does not mean I do not like them. I am very happy to have them and play them often enough. They still don't feel like A- tier material for me. Well, they just aren't. Perhaps is a 1- minute song that repeats almost exactly twice with a short solo in- between. Absurd has Axl's "PUSSY FULL OF MAGGOTS" verse repeat twice with no variation. Hard Skool is a little better, but still has a shit ton of repetition and minimal lyrics. The General is a mess of 3 sections that repeat. The bridge is even the same as the intro with throwaway lyrics! Monsters, I genuinely enjoy, and think is a great GNR track, but even that song suffers from some repetition with copying and pasting. The bridge really saves it, but even with it, none of these leftovers have the twists and turns and little parts and changes that make some GNR songs so unique. 

I will gladly buy Monsters when it is released on vinyl and any other songs that come out! I'd also be stoked for a compilation LP with all of these songs. It would be a surreal record for me to buy and own. I am not referring these songs as leftovers to be derogatory. I am, in fact, happy to accept them that way! I never thought I would hear a lot of these songs up until 2018 when we got the first leak of Monsters. 

I respectfully think it is insane to blame the lack of a follow up record on the current lineup. I know you love NuGNR, and that is cool (I have great memories from those days, too and think that 2012 Detroit show was unreal), but Axl had 8 years to put something out from CD to the reunion. He didn't. I am sure there was red tape and shit behind the scenes, but he never performed a new song live, never put out a single... nothing. For whatever reason, there wasn't going to be a CD2, even if it ever did exist. We should all just be happy to get these songs in any capacity. 

To me, these leftover tracks are not worth not having a reunion. That is nuts to me, dude. Axl, Slash, and Duff are the real band. I will take 2016 any day over a CD2 now knowing these songs aren't all that incredible. How could we not? The fact that we are getting these songs is just gravy at this point. I also disagree that the final versions are worse because of Slash and Duff. I know you love Bucket and Finck (I do, too), but I thought some of the Village versions were messes. Hard Skool's old intro and bridge were baffling to me. I'll take Slash's guitar on the final, any day. Absurd is enhanced with him, too. The song just sucks and that isn't on him. Perhaps works better for me with less going on, and Slash's and Robin's solos are just whatever to me. The General is just power chords except at the end, I have no reason to believe NuGNR guitarists would enhance it. Monsters sounds awesome with Slash imo (the NuGNR version sounded intriguing to me, too). But ultimately, who cares? These songs are ancient history, by now. As I said, they are gravy. I wish Axl would have just dumped them all with Slash and Duff in 2016 so we could all move on, but instead, it has been the slowest death ever for that era. Oh well, I'll take it and at least we know what the majority of these once- mythical songs sound like!

Shit, the best songs to me most likely were never even finished! I'd take Slashed- up Zodiac, Oklahoma, and Tonto in a heartbeat. 

We were at the same show in Detroit, 2012. My dad and I went. I'm not blaming NITL for the lack of a CD2, I would put most of that on Axl/the label between 2009 and 2015, it really needed to drop then, and we have some indicators it was going to come out around the time NITL happened, and so the reunion did put it back in a way as Axl wanted the current lineup to be involved in an album, which is hard considering it was probably done by 2005. 

14 minutes ago, Sweersa said:

We were at the same show in Detroit, 2012. My dad and I went. I'm not blaming NITL for the lack of a CD2, I would put most of that on Axl/the label between 2009 and 2015, it really needed to drop then, and we have some indicators it was going to come out around the time NITL happened, and so the reunion did put it back in a way as Axl wanted the current lineup to be involved in an album, which is hard considering it was probably done by 2005. 

I know! We were both hanging out with Bumble before the gig! He played the Catcher and TWAT solos on his guitar for us 

Edited by ZoSoRose
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Sweersa said:

no, Axl never said that CD ll would be out in 2009

Edited by Rovim

53 minutes ago, Rovim said:

no, Axl never said that CD ll would be out in 2009

D: I know this is jumping the gun big time, but any tentative idea when you would like to see the next CD come out?

Axl: No, maybe same bat time, same bat channel next year but we'll have to see.

56 minutes ago, ZoSoRose said:

I know! We were both hanging out with Bumble before the gig! He played the Catcher and TWAT solos on his guitar for us 

Amazing! My dad and I had a quick chat with him in an alley before the show. He was super cool. I got his autograph on my ticket. 

12 minutes ago, Sweersa said:

D: I know this is jumping the gun big time, but any tentative idea when you would like to see the next CD come out?

Axl: No, maybe same bat time, same bat channel next year but we'll have to see.

Amazing! My dad and I had a quick chat with him in an alley before the show. He was super cool. I got his autograph on my ticket. 

all Axl said was maybe. no release date, no promise it will be out in 2009.