Ranking the four new GN'R singles, "Just Ken" and "Killing Floor"

6. The General- I like this song, but it doesn't really work as a single. It sounds better when it leads to "Monsters," so the song doesn't build up momentum on its own. Still, it's a cool track. 

5. Hardskool - Good solid, straight-ahead rocker. It does sound a little "cut-and-pasted" though. 

4. Absurd- I have always liked "Silk Worms/Absurd" but I can see why others would hate it. It's punkish, with some industrial flourishes with some great guitar work. The almost new-age interlude comes out of left field and really works, IMO.  

3. Killing Floor- I always liked the Hendrix cover, and this is great too. Brian Johnson is perfect for the track and I love Tyler's harmonica. I'm really looking forward to hearing the album. 

2. Just Ken- I always liked this song, but the version from the Oscars was amazing. The arrangement is really interesting, with some cool twists and turns, and Slash's solo is awesome. Gosling sounds good too, and Wolfgangang Van Halen throws in a little  VH lick.  

1. Perhaps- This was by far my favorite of the four new tracks. Very UYI-ish and is a classic GN'R track for me. 

• Like 1

6./5. The General/ I'm Just Ken

I honestly can't tell what would feel more embarrassing to be blasting out of your car around town with your windows down, I'm Just Ken or The General. So already just for that they're way at the bottom, with a large distance to everything else.

4./3. HS/Absurd

Don't think I listened to HS even more than 5 times total because the 2000 version is just overall more exciting, and thinking about it now, Absurd I also don't think I'll ever listen to again either. It's just so lazy in terms of writing it almost feels like it's wasting my time.

2./1. Perhaps and Killing Floor (though that one still has recency-bias to it)

Are interchangeable at the top, way above everything else. just great fully realized songs that feel like work was put into. I don't get that from any of the other 4.

Edited by StrangerInThisTown

6. Just Ken - Really haven't listened to it much. Just a bit of harmless fun but not particularly engaging.

5. Killing Floor - I really enjoyed this and it bodes well for Slash's blues covers album.

4. The General - This song had been built up over the years as being epic. I guess as an experimental album track it'd be ok. Bad choice for a single to try and win over or win back fans.

3. Absurd - Odd choice for a comeback single but it's short rocking tune. It's got attitude to burn.

2. Perhaps - Love Dizzy's piano riff. It's got a great chorus. It's up there with November Rain and Street Of Dreams for me.

1. Hard Skool - Great Duff bassline. It sounds the most like classic GN'R.

If Monsters had been a single that would take the number two spot. Really like that song.

Have never listened to Just Ken and don't plan on it.

5.Perhaps-Outside of the cool piano riff, just absolutely awful in every way. The chorus is one of the most embarrassing things I've ever heard. 1/10

4.Absurd-Shitty abrasive version of a mediocre electro punk song. 2/10

3.The General-Decent song drowned in shitty vocal effects, and a lame ass melody from Brain/Xtract 4.5/10

2.Hard Skool-Great chorus, bland instrumental and the echo effect on Axl's voice is hideous 5.5/10

1.Killing Floor-Not really my kind of music, but a fun listen nonetheless and executed very well. Slash's playing is very tasty. 7/10

Edited by ShadowOfTheWave

I only listened to I'm Just Ken once, it's fine but it's not something I'll listen to again intentionally. I don't even know why it's included in this list? I'm replacing it with Monsters lol.

6. The General - What a boring song this ended up being. For a song about such a serious topic, it's ridiculously simple. It doesn't go anywhere, kind of picks up at the end but then abruptly ends. If the term 'leftover' applies to anything they've released, this is it. We know they have better, more 'complete' songs, it really seems like they released this just because the title had become mythical.

5. Absurd - It was shit in 2001 and was even worse in 2021. Still their worst studio song, the only redeeming thing about it is that it's fun live.

4. Hard Skool - An ok rocker with bad production. The demo was much better, though both versions we've heard have their issues... had it been released and performed in 2016 it probably would've been better received.

3. Perhaps - By far the best of the officially released songs, but it's still mediocre. I really liked the demo, but the simplified release and the fact that it never got a 2nd verse really bring it down.

2. Killing Floor - I'm really digging this cover, listened to it probably every day since it was released. Finally heard it on the local classic rock station today too. Even though it's an old song, it's such a refreshing change of pace from SMKC. Brian sounds great in the lower register and Steven's addition's are really nice. Really looking forward to this album and stoked to see this tour in July...

1. Monsters - By far, the best song we've heard since the reunion. It's an actual gem from the vault, a song so good that even the simplified NITL mix is strong. It reminded me of the first time I heard Better, sure the quality isn't the greatest but what a fucking song... I love the vocals (the backing vocals kind of remind me of Sorry, in a good way) and the bridge is insane. The last minute or so is the most tasteful, classic playing I've heard from Slash in a while. Absolutely crazy that they chose not to release this song last year...

• Like 2

In terms of songwriting there's a clear winner.

1. I'm just Ken. Fleshed out lyrics, great vocal performance, interesting backing track. 

2. Killing Floor - Just a classic song, my favourite version being Zeppelins, but I just love the lyric and the riff is fantastic, I also think it's the most memorable Slash solo since the WOF record.

3. Perhaps - Decent vocal with more memorable melody, I like the feel of the song, solo is frustratingly bleh... but the song is good.

4. Hardskool - Better solos, the vocal is fine but why did he decide to repeat the lyrics so many times, surely he could have come up with some variations OR just added variation in how he sang the lyric. REALLY brings the quality of the song down. Obviously not an A tier riff either. And the slide solo section is absolutely surplus to requirements, somebody needs to hide Slash's slide and while they're at it sell his pedal steel🤣

5. Absurd - Backing track would be an 8/10 if it wasn't for that pointless atmospheric breakdown section. Vocal??? what more can be said. it's really not the worst thing I've heard but it's really not something I want to listen to and I'll listen to almost any GNR song. Guitar solos had some great energy that reminded me of a younger Slash with some fire in him.

6. The General - just disappointing. Lyrically it obviously has some substance, but musically it dies on its ass. Vocal melody choices are bizarre, the riffs are completely throwaway. The song doesn't build it just stays in the same gear. 

I firmly believe GNR need to shelve the remainder of the Chinese tracks (Monster, State of Grace, Atlas etc. and any of the others). They just don't work. Only sensible foot forward approach is fresh material and hire and listen to a producer that has a track record of rescuing bands lost at sea. That used to be Rick Rubin, not sure who it is now (not Andrew Watt).

• Like 1

9 hours ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

6./5. The General/ I'm Just Ken

I honestly can't tell what would feel more embarrassing to be blasting out of your car around town with your windows down, I'm Just Ken or The General.

Def The General

but god bless it

• Haha 1
  • ABSUЯD 1

1 hour ago, Tom2112 said:

I firmly believe GNR need to shelve the remainder of the Chinese tracks (Monster, State of Grace, Atlas etc. and any of the others). They just don't work. Only sensible foot forward approach is fresh material and hire and listen to a producer that has a track record of rescuing bands lost at sea. That used to be Rick Rubin, not sure who it is now (not Andrew Watt).

I really liked "Atlas Shrugged" and am surprised that wasn't (as far as we know) re-worked with Slash/Duff. That could be a great song. It's almost there. 

• Like 1

I find it difficult to rank Just Ken with the other songs, totally different genres, like apples and oranges. Sometimes I like to eat and apple, sometimes I like to eat an orange. That being said, Just Ken is great for what it is, but not something I would put on to listen to.

I am going to put Killing Floor at the bottom, not because it is a bad song (it is a killer blues track originally) nor because Slash's rendition is bad, but just because it is a bit uninteresting to hear Slash rock up a blues classic.

1. Hardskool (although the version from the Village leaks is just as good if not better)

2. The General 

3. Perhaps

4. Absurd

• Like 1

13 hours ago, ShadowOfTheWave said:

Have never listened to Just Ken and don't plan on it.

5.Perhaps-Outside of the cool piano riff, just absolutely awful in every way. The chorus is one of the most embarrassing things I've ever heard.. 1/10

Really..? I can understand people saying it's not for them but embarrassing and 1/10? have you heard drill music? or every single EDM song ever when not on MDMA? Perhaps is solid and catchy, but lazy. It is probably the most UYI GnR sounding song since 1991 though

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Best to worst:

1. Killing floor

Love everything about it.

2. Perhaps

Feels incomplete, like half a song in a way.

3. Hard Skool

Had some fun with it, but the lazy copy & paste and awful production killed it in the long run for me. The demo was much better.

4. Absurd

I still think it's hilarious they put this out as the first song after Sluff's return and will always have a soft spot for this/ Silkworms. I never put it on now to really listen to it, of course.

5. The General

It's the worst song they put out, ever. I hate everything about it, it just sounds ridiculous, especially the bridge and the whole ending section. Axl's worst studio recorded vocals, gives me a headache. The video compliments it very well.

Never really listened to the Barbie song.

Edited by El Guapo

15 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

In terms of songwriting there's a clear winner.

1. I'm just Ken. Fleshed out lyrics, great vocal performance, interesting backing track. 

2. Killing Floor - Just a classic song, my favourite version being Zeppelins, but I just love the lyric and the riff is fantastic, I also think it's the most memorable Slash solo since the WOF record.

3. Perhaps - Decent vocal with more memorable melody, I like the feel of the song, solo is frustratingly bleh... but the song is good.

4. Hardskool - Better solos, the vocal is fine but why did he decide to repeat the lyrics so many times, surely he could have come up with some variations OR just added variation in how he sang the lyric. REALLY brings the quality of the song down. Obviously not an A tier riff either. And the slide solo section is absolutely surplus to requirements, somebody needs to hide Slash's slide and while they're at it sell his pedal steel🤣

5. Absurd - Backing track would be an 8/10 if it wasn't for that pointless atmospheric breakdown section. Vocal??? what more can be said. it's really not the worst thing I've heard but it's really not something I want to listen to and I'll listen to almost any GNR song. Guitar solos had some great energy that reminded me of a younger Slash with some fire in him.

6. The General - just disappointing. Lyrically it obviously has some substance, but musically it dies on its ass. Vocal melody choices are bizarre, the riffs are completely throwaway. The song doesn't build it just stays in the same gear. 

I'd honestly be pretty pumped if they got Andrew Watt on board for an album... he managed to put together Patient Number 9 whilst Ozzy's on his never-ending death bed, god bless him, which was a great album.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, RichardNixon said:

I really liked "Atlas Shrugged" and am surprised that wasn't (as far as we know) re-worked with Slash/Duff. That could be a great song. It's almost there. 

Could be, but the feel changes would need to be completely reworked and re-recorded. Way too sharp a turn so they sound like two different songs jammed together.

It's not that there isn't some decent material there, it's that they've released 4 average to poor songs, and none of what's left is going to hit a higher mark. Back to the drawing board and tap the remaining vein with flowing creativity and write a great song. At this point they need at least one great song stemming from the reunion.

It's not that there isn't some decent material there, it's that they've released 4 average to poor songs, and none of what's left is going to hit a higher mark. Back to the drawing board and tap the remaining vein with flowing creativity and write a great song. At this point they need at least one great song stemming from the reunion.

I don't see why they need a good song stemming from the reunion. The tours are going spectacularly, new music won't make a difference either way. 

I am also not sure new music from this lineup would ever materialize even if they tried, nor that it would be good. Who knows? 

What I do know, though, is that there is killer music that is not released, like State of Grace and Quick Song. I would much rather have that in a finished form (and without Slash if they can't integrate his parts without making it all sound disjointed). 

This is a weird thread, but I guess I'll answer anyway.

1. Hard Skool

This is exactly what was missing on CD1. A pure old school rocker. Amazing aggressive vocals. Love the finished version so much more than the demo.

2. The General

I just love dark and epic music. Wish it was longer.

3. Absurd

Simple but effective. Gets me pumped up every time.

4. Perhaps

Great melodies, but a bit repetitive.

5. Just Ken

It's a fun little tune, but not really something that I would listen to outside of the movie.

6. Killing Floor

Instrumentally it's great but unfortunately I can't stand Brian Johnson's vocals on this one. Sounds like Tom Jones or something. Obviously it's not objectively bad, but it's just not my cup of tea at all.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

I don't see why they need a good song stemming from the reunion. The tours are going spectacularly, new music won't make a difference either way. 

I am also not sure new music from this lineup would ever materialize even if they tried, nor that it would be good. Who knows? 

What I do know, though, is that there is killer music that is not released, like State of Grace and Quick Song. I would much rather have that in a finished form (and without Slash if they can't integrate his parts without making it all sound disjointed). 

It's never coming out without Slash. If that happened it would signal the beginning of the end for Slash's current time in gnr.

They don't need it to continue selling tickets, that's well proven... They need it to make themselves more of a relevant act. Historically speaking they need a song/record that says we're back and we can still go. The tracks they released scream "we don't need to release music and we don't care that this is not great". 

18 hours ago, Bitchisback said:

What about the song Slash did with Demi Lovato?

He just added a solo to the new version of the song.

7 hours ago, kanecrescente said:

I'd honestly be pretty pumped if they got Andrew Watt on board for an album... he managed to put together Patient Number 9 whilst Ozzy's on his never-ending death bed, god bless him, which was a great album.

Check out the Ozzy album before that too (Ordinary Man); Andrew did that one as well. And there might be a 3rd Ozzy album coming later as well.

If you're going to include I'm Just Ken in this then you also need to include Rock the Rock, just saying.

3 hours ago, MaskingApathy said:

He just added a solo to the new version of the song.

Check out the Ozzy album before that too (Ordinary Man); Andrew did that one as well. And there might be a 3rd Ozzy album coming later as well.

If you're going to include I'm Just Ken in this then you also need to include Rock the Rock, just saying.

I'd put rock the rock top of the pile... and I'm not even being one insincere there😂

As far as Andrew Watt goes, he got a half decent album out of Ozzy Patient no 9... the other one did nothing for me. The RS record isn't my cup of tea and I haven't heard the PJ record yet... but I can of know his MO and the style/sound of record he tends to make and I just imagine it would sound like 10 Hardskools which would be best 6/10. I think we can wish for better while we're dreaming.

• Like 1

I'd put rock the rock top of the pile... and I'm not even being one insincere there😂

As far as Andrew Watt goes, he got a half decent album out of Ozzy Patient no 9... the other one did nothing for me. The RS record isn't my cup of tea and I haven't heard the PJ record yet... but I can of know his MO and the style/sound of record he tends to make and I just imagine it would sound like 10 Hardskools which would be best 6/10. I think we can wish for better while we're dreaming.

Mike Clink

• Like 1