Anyone else cringe at the way rock press and guitar magazines suck up to Slash?

I've noticed this for a long time now, despite Slash's solo output becoming steadily more bland and derivative with every passing release, he seems to get a free pass from the likes of Classic Rock and pretty much any and every guitar magazine. Every album always receives glowing reviews (and yet they always seem to talk about how much stronger the new record is compared to its predecessor, despite having talked about how great that album was at the time).

Granted, Slash being a media-darling is hardly a new thing.... and I guess Slash has a lot of guitar endorsements so it just makes good business sense to keep someone who has literally become the walking embodiment of the term "guitar God" in your good graces. But it's just so read-through when you see these magazines including his latest turgid, cookie-cutter, cock-rock in their annual best-of lists....

• Like 1

I guess he's just a liked and respected guy in the industry. Slash managed to retain some of his relevance, his albums are all as modern sounding as possible and he's far from being a nostalgia act. His music is not exactly my cup of tea but I can understand why he's so praised.

If you disagree with magazine reviews and lists and it makes you mad, I recommend you to stop reading them.

• Like 1

I guess he's just a liked and respected guy in the industry. Slash managed to retain some of his relevance, his albums are all as modern sounding as possible and he's far from being a nostalgia act. His music is not exactly my cup of tea but I can understand why he's so praised.

If you disagree with magazine reviews and lists and it makes you mad, I recommend you to stop reading them.

It doesn't "make me mad", it just makes me cringe, as I don't believe a lot of these magazines are sincere in their praise of Slash's solo work. They clearly have a vested interest in keeping Slash in their favour and suck up to him as he is one of the more accessible rock legends and they are probably holding out for future exclusives and interviews etc.

I've noticed this for a long time now, despite Slash's solo output becoming steadily more bland and derivative with every passing release, he seems to get a free pass from the likes of Classic Rock and pretty much any and every guitar magazine. Every album always receives glowing reviews (and yet they always seem to talk about how much stronger the new record is compared to its predecessor, despite having talked about how great that album was at the time).

Granted, Slash being a media-darling is hardly a new thing.... and I guess Slash has a lot of guitar endorsements so it just makes good business sense to keep someone who has literally become the walking embodiment of the term "guitar God" in your good graces. But it's just so read-through when you see these magazines including his latest turgid, cookie-cutter, cock-rock in their annual best-of lists....

Or they just like different music than you do? They don't hold grudges against musicians?

If they like something - they praise it.

If they don't like something - they don't.

Music is all about personal preference. No need to imply or look for some deep controversy just because somebody likes an album/musician than you.

They make their judgments on the music, and not on whether or not Axl likes that musician.

Mods - this is obviously a cupcake thread. Lock it?

Edited by Apollo
  • Like 1

Or they just like different music than you do? They don't hold grudges against musicians?

If they like something - they praise it.

If they don't like something - they don't.

Music is all about personal preference. No need to imply or look for some deep controversy just because somebody likes an album/musician than you.

They make their judgments on the music, and not on whether or not Axl likes that musician.

Mods - this is obviously a cupcake thread. Lock it?

Utter bullshit.

I have nothing against Slash and actually own all of his post-GNR albums. My opinion on how lacklustre his recent albums are has nothing to do with Axl's low opinion of Slash. I just have a working set of ears and am not a Slash fanboy who sits and masturbates over the guy wanking all over Rocket Queen for fifteen minutes.

And if you truly believe that there are no politics involved in the music press then you really are very naïve.

Edited by Towelie

c26.png

• Like 1

It's also a reflection of there not being many similarly outdated rock figures around much more, so rawk music journalists in their 40s would naturally gravitate to and fawn over the last dinosaur there is. I mean, from a magazine named "Classic Rock", what do you expect? :D It must be weird being in a innovative, young, trendy rock band and see the ol' tophat get so much attention for his lacklustre and irrelevant efforts. Kudos to Slash for still remaining in the spotlight 15 years after he did anything noteworthy, and we all know he work hard for it, despite his growing musical irrelevance.

I hope Slash goes in a more Bad Company direction.

To me it's the same. It's kind of similar to Slashs UYI playing. I just think he hit more highs on Izzy or Axls songs in Guns than solo. I mean has he written anything better than the intro to Jungle or the riff of Paradise and solos on AFD?

I kind of like his more mature solo stuff but Myles vocals are too metal. He needs to find a Rodgers. Maybe Lanegan could really bring some smoke to the sound. It seems a bit clean and studio.

• Like 1

Slash is not a songwriter per se but a collaborator. If you are saying that the parts Slash provides for his post-Guns projects are inferior to the ones he provided for Guns, then you are clearly wrong. The problem with Slash is, not the parts he delivers. Anastasia is a near-masterpiece. Beggars and Hangers On has a riff Joe Perry would be proud of. Even in the cheesiest, most lyrically bad, Slash dross, his riffs and solos are always good-excellent standard. The problem with Slash is, who he collaborates, with. Kennedy is talented but he is no Rose or Stradlin. Same with Dover and Jackson.

No one has come along to pick up the guitar hero torch since Slash.

He's the last of his kind.

So, it doesn't really matter that his solo albums are lackluster. There just isn't anyone else who is a guitar icon the way that Slash is.

And, he's managed to keep a "cool" look. Remember how Eric Clapton suddenly turned up looking like a high school principal in the 90s? That's never happened to Slash.

• Like 2