Tour over priced for the demand?

So I have been trying to get tickets all day from the Citi Card Pre-sale. I am not flying to Vegas to sit in the nose bleeds. There are still tickets left and I would have thought they would sell out in minutes. Most of the tickets that were sold were just bought by scalpers and "ticket agencies" and were just immediately posted on stub hub.. I know we are all excited but I hear a lot of people outside these forums talking about the ticket prices and saying things like "Maybe if Izzy was there I'd pay that", "Axl sounds like shit", "I'm not paying that money and have Axl not show up until midnight"... I know people like us would pay a lot but do you think people in general are going to want to? I mean $100 (after charges) for nosebleeds seats in the back is pretty f'n steep. Does anyone think they could really have a successful stadium tour at these prices? I feel like the Stadiums wouldbe half empty. Are the prices higher because it is in Las Vegas?

stadium tour will likely be a bit cheaper (hopefully) but with these being the first shows im guessing they are jacking the price up

I mean I have seriously cut back on my concert going to save in anticipation of this tour. I wanted to go to as many shows as possible on the east coast. I just can't see it now and the ticket prices have a lot to do with it. The other reason is that it kind of seems like it will be more like NuGnR than a reunion.. But I still wanted to give it a shot.

stadium tour will likely be a bit cheaper (hopefully) but with these being the first shows im guessing they are jacking the price up

Exactly, very easy dubbed down version is GNR charges X amount and the seating disperses the expense with them making a profit of course. So for easy not real world math if you paid GNR 3 million to be in Vegas and your venue holds 20k people you need $150 per ticket to break even. That is not including cost of insurance, paying staff, light bill etc. etc. but you get my drift. If your Venue held 1 seat you would have to charge 3 million for that seat to break even. We all know any business that is in business to break even is called bankruptcy. Another example: I just saw Slash a few months back in Minneapolis at a small venue. The ticket prices for the venue in MN was the most expensive on that tour as it only held around 2k people. It also sold out very very fast. However the flip side is the couple times I have seen Slash in Minneapolis is I paid a bit more but was about 10 feet away from him both times watching him do his thing. Was it worth paying an extra $15 or $20 a ticket that show compared to the others. F yeah it was, I was ten feet from Slash. So now scale it a bit bigger. Vegas holds around 20k people. Yeah we have to pay more but you have a much better chance in that building of having a better view and sound than you would in a stadium after saving maybe $50 a ticket. Just my 2 cents..

The presence of the new band members is a real wet blanket on things. There is also the fact we still have no interviews, press releases or anything from the band that would get across to the public that this GNR tour is different than any of the other tours Axl has been doing for 10 years.

Sadly I am beginning to realize how much he diluted the brand the past 15 years.

Had he not been masquerading as GNR all this time there would be a tremendous hype level that GNR were back together and playing shows again after 20 years being dormant.

The presence of the new band members is a real wet blanket on things. There is also the fact we still have no interviews, press releases or anything from the band that would get across to the public that this GNR tour is different than any of the other tours Axl has been doing for 10 years.

That is kind of the vibe I am getting. I hear more people talking about ticket prices and the absence of certain band members more than talking about being excited. I know I am excited but there is something anticlimactic about this.

Most bands are charging threw the roof for tickets. Not quite this high but still in the $200 range for floor seats and lower bowl. I saw motley crue on their final tour and tickets were $199 for floors and first part of the lower bowl. $150 for the rest of the lower bowl then $90 for upper deck with the back at $50. I saw kiss in 2014 and it was $80 for nosebleeds at the back. Can't remember floor tickets. Saw pearl jam and it was $80 for every seat no matter floor or in the back. I just hate it cause the last time i Saw slash from five rows back for $80. Last time I saw axl I paid $45 for mid lower bowl. Saw kings I chaos (duff,Matt,gilby) for $35. Saw hookers n blow for $20. So I saw the entire UYI lineup for $180 at four seperate shows and paid $800 for two tickets to each Vegas show

The public tickets go on Sale Saturday. Then you will know. Right now you have maybe 15,000 tickets waiting to go for sale. So you have a lot of Supply. After this weekend when there is no supply, you will find the demand for the tickets. You can't get a lot of money for tickets when the bulk of tickets have not been sold to the public.

Sadly I am beginning to realize how much he diluted the brand the past 15 years.

Had he not been masquerading as GNR all this time there would be a tremendous hype level that GNR were back together and playing shows again after 20 years being dormant.

I know we're talking about someone who spent 15 years working on an almost mythical album just to put it on the shelf and not promote it, but they can't possibly be dumb enough to reunite Axl/Duff/Slash and just go out on the road assuming everyone's heard.

But I assume Axl wants to think of this as his GNR with new/old members Slash and Duff, and Slash and Duff don't want to say they're just re-joining Axl's band, so they'll all just say nothing.

The first presale sold out in minutes

When the general sale happens it'll sell out, watch

Also, I hate to say it but the 100 dollar nosebleed is becoming the norm. It sucks.

Rush was like 80, Van halen was like 70, the Stones were 200, etc

For arenas, I agree they'll sell out relatively fast. But these prices won't fly in stadiums at all. The Stones were comparable prices last summer in stadiums, and they couldn't even manage to sell them out without resorting to some tricks like price drops, larger quantities of $29 Lucky Dip tickets, etc.

• Like 1

For arenas, I agree they'll sell out relatively fast. But these prices won't fly in stadiums at all. The Stones were comparable prices last summer in stadiums, and they couldn't even manage to sell them out without resorting to some tricks like price drops, larger quantities of $29 Lucky Dip tickets, etc.

Agree, GnR should do what ACDC did

So I have been trying to get tickets all day from the Citi Card Pre-sale. I am not flying to Vegas to sit in the nose bleeds. There are still tickets left and I would have thought they would sell out in minutes. Most of the tickets that were sold were just bought by scalpers and "ticket agencies" and were just immediately posted on stub hub.. I know we are all excited but I hear a lot of people outside these forums talking about the ticket prices and saying things like "Maybe if Izzy was there I'd pay that", "Axl sounds like shit", "I'm not paying that money and have Axl not show up until midnight"... I know people like us would pay a lot but do you think people in general are going to want to? I mean $100 (after charges) for nosebleeds seats in the back is pretty f'n steep. Does anyone think they could really have a successful stadium tour at these prices? I feel like the Stadiums wouldbe half empty. Are the prices higher because it is in Las Vegas?

Early on, only the most loyal, passionate of GNR fans are gonna attend. I think the rest of the people who are on the fence are gonna wait to see what happens in Vegas and Coachella. If they like what they see, they will come.

look, this isnt called the "most anticipated Reunion" for nothing. The demand for this is quite large, even those who badmouth the band will want to get in on it if the shows are good.

There is also still alot of time left for things to happen, 3 months is plenty of time to do some promotion or whatever. And alot of things can change from here til Vegas and Coachella.

I know we're talking about someone who spent 15 years working on an almost mythical album just to put it on the shelf and not promote it, but they can't possibly be dumb enough to reunite Axl/Duff/Slash and just go out on the road assuming everyone's heard.

But I assume Axl wants to think of this as his GNR with new/old members Slash and Duff, and Slash and Duff don't want to say they're just re-joining Axl's band, so they'll all just say nothing.

Izzy will be there. Final call on Adler appearance next week.

I am worried about the tour's possible pricing too, but one thing that might be reassuring is that shows in Vegas always seem to cost a bit more money than elsewhere. When I saw another band at the Pearl there several years back it was $100 for the back and $200 for the floor. And that seems to be par for the course for Vegas venues.

I do hope the prices for the regular tour are better. $100 for shitty seats in the back is pretty awful and those sorts of prices will shut out a lot of fans.

Edited by stella

It's kind of reminiscent of when Van Halen got back together with Roth. They had a big press conference, then went out of their way to shut Roth up and do as little promotion as possible after 30 years of diluting the brand with shitty replacement singers. It still sold out across the country. If the band is playing well enough, this won't matter in the end.

• Like 1

Izzy will be there. Final call on Adler appearance next week.

That would be awesome for Izzy to be at that first Vegas show on his birthday

GNR management must think the 30-40 somethings who are the core of the GNR fans are going to pay whatever it takes to see them, the prices they are charging for the tickets especially the VIP is beyond absurd, these older baby boomer bands have more affordable prices and I can assure the baby boomers have alot more money than the 30-40 something year olds.

if these shows do not sell out there is going to be alot of negative press and that is going to be a bad thing for the Stadiums, people like to see an event if it is hot, and may pass if they are thinking it is not cool to see them.

Edited by k12

exactly

GNR management must think the 30-40 somethings who are the core of the GNR fans are going to pay whatever it takes to see them, the prices they are charging for the tickets especially the VIP is beyond absurd, these older baby boomer bands have more affordable prices and I can assure the baby boomers have alot more money than the 30-40 something year olds.

if these shows do not sell out there is going to be alot of negative press and that is going to be a bad thing for the Stadiums, people like to see an event if it is hot, and may pass if they are thinking it is not cool to see them.

This. If the prices are like this for the regular tour, management is putting very lofty expectations on what they think those Gen Xers and Xennials will be willing to pay. And that is pretty foolhardy, especially since so many in their 40s, 30s and 20s are struggling financially.