Official: Axl will join AC/DC for stadium tour/US dates

ZoSoRose

I think some of the negativity here is really overreaction.

Particularly from Guns fans. The publicity will be great for GN'R and the spotlight will be squarely on Axl and Guns. Expecting an album to drop suddenly is really too much. We know how much waiting has done for us previously. I'm hoping for an album too, but no way is fronting for AC/DC for a few shows going to impede progress on a new GN'R album. As for this being disrespectful to Slash/Duff...gimme a break. Slash clearly didn't look pissed while hugging Angus on stage and as a fan of AC/DC and as a member of whatever incarnation this is of GN/R, I think he can only see this as a positive. Axl finally gets to do something different and go out of the box and win over some hostile fans - remember Download in 2006? Imagine Axl doing that show after show. He will be in peak form vocally after that and I think it could be the biggest spur to his creative juices that we've ever seen. 

The AC/DC fan reaction is not wholly negative. I can understand people being upset with Brian being given a raw deal, if that IS the case - we'll have to wait to hear from him directly. But, I think that this might very well be the end and that Angus is just trying to keep his commitment to those that bought tickets. That being said, it' might be difficult to convince many die hard fans that Axl IS the best choice for them. Ultimate Classic Rock has an article out that they tried out a tribute band Bon look alike singer before settling on Axl. That's laughable. The AC/DC fans don't know what a good deal they are getting. They'll just have to wait and see Axl/DC and how good Axl is. This is where good publicity could help. Axl and AC/DC really need to do some good press. Some interviews, maybe even a press conference, an appearance on Howard Stern. Hell, maybe even an appearance on Graham Norton (UK folks, pardon me - that's the only good British Talk show I've seen that regularly has bands playing). I think AC/DC are much better at doing good publicity than GNR are. I hope they do a good job this time. If AC/DC fans can listen to Axl explain his admiration for Bon and his respect for Angus and AC/DC as well as offer a tribute to Brian, and also hear him rock the material, he CAN win them over.

Edited by The Archer
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

I'm bashing AC/DC more than Axl.

Yes, exactly.  As a lifelong AC/DC fan, I'm just not comfortable with the way this all went down.  I love Angus as much as I love Slash, but it's disappointing how this situation has been handled.  It's weird to have this kind of drama with AC/DC, they've always been so status quo until recently.  

I guess if there's a bright side to any of this,  people going to their shows will still get one of the biggest names in rock fronting the band, with the bonus of not having to be subjected to CD songs.  

26 minutes ago, Iron MikeyJ said:

AC/DC fans are pretty pissed off. I kinda like it myself, both gnr and DC are in my top 5 or so favorite bands. (gnr is 2 and DC is 5 or 6 depending on the day, but both top 10). So when members of my favorite bands play with each other, it's a great thing imo. But I get why hard core AC/DC fans are pissed. My only thing is let up on Axl, this isn't his fault, and they are being pretty nasty. He is honestly the best person in the planet to do this, not some tribute band flunkie, or Dave Evans, etc. I can understand if you would rather see them just retire, that's a fair point. But also, what's Angus supposed to do? He only knows how to do one thing, play AC/DC songs. He's not like Santana or Slash where him guesting on other people's music would be cool, he has to play AC/DC songs, that's HIS thing. 

I just don't like all the Shit Axl is getting over this. 1 year ago, I could understand him getting shit, but he is cooler right now than he has been in 20 years. So I get kinda defensive when they bash him. Its kinda like "hey I can bash him because I'm a gnr fan, but you better not." It's like, you can talk shot about your parents all you want, but as soon as someone else does, you get pissed.

Canceling the shows, as some sort of "honorable" resolution, is the worst thing they could do IMO. Terrible.
They'll pivot their setlist I imagine to more Bon-era material - that's great.
(Axl is much closer to Bon's style than Brian, but also not an imitator - will bring his own twist to it, can be a match made in Heaven.)

However, it all looks like this: There is this old Caesar, who is about to retire (AC-DC), and there is a middle-aged general who is about to become a new Caesar (Guns now becoming next Stones/AC-DC/KISS Reunited, as far as touring magnitude is concerned). Insted to let him go, general helps Caesar (in critical moment) so his reign continues. We'll see.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, pjjk said:

You're high if you think this isn't going to impact his voice for the Guns tour.  Listen to 9:41 of the dailymotion clip posted during November Rain.  This is show 4, dudes.

This ACDC shit is nonsense.

Yes, especially that in 2016 he's gonna sing just as many songs with AC/DC as with Guns. And he'll care to prove himself to the DC fans, it won't be like new Guns which was a half-asssed warm-up most of the time. I'm far from thinking it will do his voice any good.

1 minute ago, DieselDaisy said:

They should certainly retire. Retire honourably. Rock or Bust was a good album to go out on. People are going to look at these shitty Axl shows and think, ''what a piss poor way to go out on?''.

what if these shows sound awesome ?

why not ?

Edited by supercool

Im not a hardcore AC/DC fan, but this is kinda a dream come true, Axl is one of my fav singers. For me he comes on no1 and sometimes he drops to no.2

So Axl singing AC/DC songs would be really awesome

Sadly I won't be able to go to the european shows as im already traveling to Europe in a few days and will come back on the 6th. If I knew this from before then I would have extended my holiday. 

• Like 1

Just now, supercool said:

It would still not be 'DC. You have this great band whose era is split by two vocalists, Bon and Brian, and then you end with Axl doing a bunch of shows!!

Rock or Bust. The shows Brian played on that tour. Release a DVD. Perfect way to bow out.

5 hours ago, -W.A.R- said:

its funny you say that because some them are angry about how they were strung along/left in the dark with this whole Axl thing all because Angus could pull off the surprise appearance with GNR....i had to laugh...its like a welcome to GNR fandom

In my opinion, that 1987 London recording of Axl on Whole Lotta Rosie was better than any live Bon Scott version I could find (Bon's studio version will never be topped of course). Axl nails that song. Big question will be stuff like Thunderstruck. 

EDIT: Meant to quote Iron Mikey. Sorry for any confusion. 

Edited by GNRfan2008
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, Iron MikeyJ said:

But Axl actually does the BON songs closer to how they are supposed to be, even today. In his prime? Not even close, Brian Johnson who??? 

Axl clearly sings the Bon material better than Brian. Now. 

But let's not downplay Brian completely here. What you are seeing is the fifth or sixth version of Brian's voice since the time he joined the band. But, barring a few minor rebounds over the years, his voice has largely been in decline since the mid 80's.

HOWEVER, the early '80s Brian Johnson was a different beast altogether. He was just the best vocalist in hard rock or metal on the planet at the time. I'd say THAT version of Brian Johnson was in contention to be the best Rock vocalist ever. THAT version of Brian Johnson could even out SING (not necessarily out perform) Bon on some of HIS songs. THAT version was phenomenal live. Go look up clips on youtube of Brian singing Bon material in the early years - 80-83/85. He was a dragon live. He was a phenom on Rosie. Electric on High Voltage. He made DDDC not just dirty but scary. I've seen one version of Brian singing DDDC live with his fist pumping and his voice booming, that I rate better than any version done by Bon. He's close to 70 now and been struggling for a while. Axl has done Rosie better than he has for many years. But let's not forget who exactly Brian Johnson once was and what he was capable of and what he did. 

Edited by The Archer
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, DieselDaisy said:

It would still not be 'DC. You have this great band whose era is split by two vocalists, Bon and Brian, and then you end with Axl doing a bunch of shows!!

Rock or Bust. The shows Brian played on that tour. Release a DVD. Perfect way to bow out.

i don't see the problem if they want to do these shows with axl, something great can happen, maybe it'll be shit, maybe not.

moreover, nobody is being forced to attend these shows.

2 minutes ago, HOOSIER GUNZ said:

are tickets for sale for the ohio gig?  i saw nothin on stubhub...

Nothing will show up until it gets rescheduled....and there will be seats available from the venue as people were allowed to get a refund once the shows were postponed.  

2 minutes ago, supercool said:

i don't see the problem if they want to do these shows with axl, something great can happen, maybe it'll be shit, maybe not.

moreover, nobody is being forced to attend these shows.

Well yes. Exactly why I would have got a refund if I had bought a ticket. I wouldn't pay two pence for that charade.

I also do not like the way 'DC treated Brian. Why couldn't they wait till Brian had recovered and have one last final concert and release it on DVD? Perfect way to bow out. Why tarnish a, generally up to now, perfect legacy?

Edited by DieselDaisy
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, supercool said:

Axl might do well for Axl, but he's not Brian.  Just like nobody is Slash.  Anyone who is a hardcore fan of any band has their reasons for liking them.  You don't just replace that and expect there not  to be some backlash and unhappy fans. 

Axl being hired as a replacement may just be the biggest irony ever.  

• Like 1

Shows will be amazing but that's not the point here. I'm still not sure if Ac/Dc made a good choice for their hardcore fans, but for me as just one casual fan it's amazing. I love it.

Already found some cheap tickets for Vienna show, standing with 50% discount :D 

Edited by Nicklord