Official: Axl will join AC/DC for stadium tour/US dates

ZoSoRose

Sorry, but If you think their core fans are unhappy now, see what happens if they have to drop songs like Thunderstruck, Hells Bells and For Those About to Rock from their setlist because the replacement singer can't handle them.  Not gonna happen.  It would be like dumping SCOM, WTTJ and PC because DJ couldn't play them.  No, I'm sure Angus and their management are well aware at this point their decision to fire Brian was less than popular to put it mildly.  If Axl can't handle the setlist then he shouldn't be there.  

8 hours ago, James Bond said:

I wonder how Chris Slade would sound on Mr. Brownstone and Rocket Queen... :lol:

As much as I hope Angus is wise with the set list, I don't see him altering it all too much from the current one. Maybe drop a couple of the non-essential Brian songs and replace those with Bon ones but otherwise mostly the same.

Is Chris Slade the Frank Ferrer of AC/DC? HA

Brutal! He actually played on some hits.......

1 hour ago, Patience 4 Axl said:

Sorry, but If you think their core fans are unhappy now, see what happens if they have to drop songs like Thunderstruck, Hells Bells and For Those About to Rock from their setlist because the replacement singer can't handle them.  Not gonna happen.  It would be like dumping SCOM, WTTJ and PC because DJ couldn't play them.  No, I'm sure Angus and their management are well aware at this point their decision to fire Brian was less than popular to put it mildly.  If Axl can't handle the setlist then he shouldn't be there.  

And we know that Brian was fired how? 

it does appear they parted ways with Brian for good, according to their latest official statement. thanks for "services", best wishes and so forth...

a diplomatic solution: instead of Angus to back down, double it down - call in Slash and Duff and make a joint AC-DC/GnR mega-gig, a celebration of AC-DC (and GnR reunion at the same time). that way "a legacy" of AC/DC is intact (as it is no Axl who joins DC, rather a joint venture of 2 bands).
(furthermore, that can grow up into annual AC/DC Fest..)
after these final joint gigs, acca dacca retires, and the torch is literally passed into GnR's hands... now the greatest rnr attraction in the World...

On ‎4‎/‎17‎/‎2016 at 4:18 AM, Lies They Tell said:

The Whole Lotta Rosie and Riff Raff videos make me confident that Axl can pull this off. At the moment his voice seems just right for AC/DC. It's songs like Sweet Child O Mine, that he struggles with a little bit. But WLR and RR he seems to nail pretty effortlessly. So he might actually sound better on the AC/DC gigs than on GNR gigs.

listening to those songs made me think of what AC/DC songs i'd like to hear Axl do. this is what I have come up with so far:

1.Touch Too Much

2. High Voltage

3. It's A Long Way To The Top

4.If You Want Blood

5. Highway to Hell

6. Sin City

7. The Girls Got A Rhythm

as you can tell I am a big fan of the Bon Scott era. anyone have any songs they'd like to hear Axl do with AC/DC? :)

8 hours ago, James Bond said:

His statement makes me feel a lot better. It seems the health issues were genuine and he's focused on healing to the point where he can continue to perform. He also doesn't rule out recording in the studio.

I am glad he said something. I knew it was his decision. It would not only affect his performance for the fans but it would have cost him his hearing. Fans blow this out of proportion. Axl is not going to be the lead singer, he will just be filling in. Axl is a big AC/DC fan so he is living the dream. We all know getting Axl into a recording studio is impossible.

In case anyone hasn't seen it, from Brian:

As many AC/DC fans know, the remaining shows for the 2016 AC/DC Rock or Bust World Tour, including 10 postponed U.S. shows, are being rescheduled with a guest singer.  I want personally to explain the reason because I don’t believe the earlier press releases sufficiently set out what I wanted to say to our fans or the way in which I thought it should be presented.

On March 7th, after a series of examinations by leading physicians in the field of hearing loss, I was advised that if I continue to perform at large venues, I risked total deafness.  While I was horrified at the reality of the news that day, I had for a time become aware that my partial hearing loss was beginning to interfere with my performance on stage.  I was having difficulty hearing the guitars on stage and because I was not able to hear the other musicians clearly, I feared the quality of my performance could be compromised.  In all honesty this was something I could not in good conscience allow.  Our fans deserve my performance to be at the highest level, and if for any reason I can’t deliver that level of performance I will not disappoint our fans or embarrass the other members of AC/DC.  I am not a quitter and I like to finish what I start, nevertheless, the doctors made it clear to me and my bandmates that I had no choice but to stop performing on stage for the remaining shows and possibly beyond.  That was the darkest day of my professional life.

Since that day, I have had several consultations with my doctors and it appears that, for the near future, I will be unable to perform on stage at arena and stadium size venues where the sound levels are beyond my current tolerance, without the risk of substantial hearing loss and possibly total deafness.  Until that time, I tried as best as I could to continue despite the pain and hearing loss but it all became too much to bear and too much to risk.

I am personally crushed by this development more than anyone could ever imagine.  The emotional experience I feel now is worse than anything I have ever in my life felt before.  Being part of AC/DC, making records and performing for the millions of devoted fans this past 36 years has been my life’s work.  I cannot imagine going forward without being part of that, but for now I have no choice.  The one thing for certain is that I will always be with AC/DC at every show in spirit, if not in person.

Most importantly, I feel terrible having to disappoint the fans who bought tickets for the canceled shows and who have steadfastly supported me and AC/DC these many years.  Words cannot express my deep gratitude and heartfelt thanks not just for the recent outpouring to me personally of kind words and good wishes, but also for the years of loyal support of AC/DC.  My thanks also go to Angus and Cliff for their support.

Finally, I wish to assure our fans that I am not retiring.  My doctors have told me that I can continue to record in studios and I intend to do that.  For the moment, my entire focus is to continue medical treatment to improve my hearing.  I am hoping that in time my hearing will improve and allow me to return to live concert performances.  While the outcome is uncertain, my attitude is optimistic.  Only time will tell.

Once again, my sincere best wishes and thanks to everyone for their support and understanding.

Love,
Brian

Ouch. We love you, too, Brian. 

Edited by DirtyDeeds
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, DirtyDeeds said:

I feel so bad. I can't imagine the place of utter defeat this statement must be coming from.

It needn't be a place of utter defeat. I think it comes from a place of grand large heartedness. Brian is a great guy. Of that there can be no doubt.

19 hours ago, Patience 4 Axl said:

Brian can't handle the setlist either. He has sounded awful recently.

3 hours ago, GNRfan2008 said:

Brian can't handle the setlist either. He has sounded awful recently.

I saw them in August at MetLife stadium.  A 67 year old guy kept 50,000 people on their feet for 2 hours and rocked it as hard any concert I've been to, ever.  Dude handled the setlist like the pro he's been for 36 years, doesn't leave the stage for wardrobe changes,  doesn't bail on the solos, and I can honestly say I've never seen less than 100% at any of their concerts I've been to.    His fans are loyal because he's always been loyal back, so c'mon,  I have to laugh when I've seen a few people here talk about his voice, especially when it's coming from GNR fans.  

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Patience 4 Axl said:

I saw them in August at MetLife stadium.  A 67 year old guy kept 50,000 people on their feet for 2 hours and rocked it as hard any concert I've been to, ever.  Dude handled the setlist like the pro he's been for 36 years, doesn't leave the stage for wardrobe changes,  doesn't bail on the solos, and I can honestly say I've never seen less than 100% at any of their concerts I've been to.    His fans are loyal because he's always been loyal back, so c'mon,  I have to laugh when I've seen a few people here talk about his voice, especially when it's coming from GNR fans.  

The video doesn't lie. I'm honest when Axl struggles and I'm being honest about the video I've seen of Brian recently. His hearing may have affected him but he was struggling to even get the words out. I'm very aware of his age. Maybe, just maybe AC/DC should have retired a couple years ago when Malcolm's situation became a big problem.

Edited by GNRfan2008

Another new AC/DC fb post up, another new round of bitching and moaning. It's like a mob mentality with this stuff. One person posts something crazy, then everyone seems to just pile on no matter how little sense it makes. I can understand the disappointment of not seeing Brian front the band after 36 years, but not the ridiculousness of the comments. Oh well, I'll enjoy seeing them live. Assuming I can get tickets. 

Brian has the lungs of Little Richard and the decency of a gentleman. Deserves better from these Young twats (and no, I'm not necessarily blaming ginger pubes although it would have been a nice gesture to turn the gig down). Angus has lost my fandom. Deserves a kick in the bollocks, little Aussie twat.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, GNRfan2008 said:

The video doesn't lie. I'm honest when Axl struggles and I'm being honest about the video I've seen of Brian recently. His hearing may have affected him but he was struggling to even get the words out. I'm very aware of his age. Maybe, just maybe AC/DC should have retired a couple years ago when Malcolm's situation became a big problem.

Not trying to pick a fight but what videos do you speak of? There were a few isolated moments where he seemed to struggle- the first show of the last leg of the tour with some new songs, but other than that I didn't notice it. 

I was at the same show as patience 4 axl, as well as some others, and actually thought Brian sounded BETTER than on the prior two tours and if nothing else brought more energy than before and more than anyone in the band, including Angus, who still played well but has slowed down his antics a bit. 

1 minute ago, goneshootin said:

Not trying to pick a fight but what videos do you speak of? There were a few isolated moments where he seemed to struggle- the first show of the last leg of the tour with some new songs, but other than that I didn't notice it. 

I was at the same show as patience 4 axl, as well as some others, and actually thought Brian sounded BETTER than on the prior two tours and if nothing else brought more energy than before and more than anyone in the band, including Angus, who still played well but has slowed down his antics a bit. 

I've looked at two videos of him trying to sing Whole Lotta Rosie and both were not good. One of them was River Plate 2009, legendary gig (greatest rock crowd ever, no doubt about it). He was struggling to even get the words out. Then someone posted another one from this year that was even worse. Sad to see it. Definitely seemed he was having a tough time hearing or something cuz he kept pausing instead of continuing to sing the words. 

3 minutes ago, GNRfan2008 said:

I've looked at two videos of him trying to sing Whole Lotta Rosie and both were not good. One of them was River Plate 2009, legendary gig (greatest rock crowd ever, no doubt about it). He was struggling to even get the words out. Then someone posted another one from this year that was even worse. Sad to see it. Definitely seemed he was having a tough time hearing or something cuz he kept pausing instead of continuing to sing the words. 

Gotcha. Somewhat related but has gnr played river plate? The crowd there was absolutely mental. I liked how they "sang" the guitar riffs- some hated it but I felt it was something different and cool. I'd imagine it would be tougher to do for most of the gnr songs though since they are less chord-driven. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, goneshootin said:

Gotcha. Somewhat related but has gnr played river plate? The crowd there was absolutely mental. I liked how they "sang" the guitar riffs- some hated it but I felt it was something different and cool. I'd imagine it would be tougher to do for most of the gnr songs though since they are less chord-driven. 

That River Plate gig was incredible. I wish all rock crowds were like that. The guitar riff humming was epic stuff. You could tell the band was feeding off it too. I believe GN'R maybe played there in 1993 but not entirely sure. Obviously they were not at the point where they were a legacy act. They had the songs, but the they weren't so ingrained in pop culture like they are now. If they play there in the near feature, it will probably be a hell of a show with that kind of crazy crowd. 

2 hours ago, estranged_85 said:

Swedish newspaper just posted a article that says: " Tickets to ACDC show in Denmark are refundable"  all because of Axl being the new singer and the fans are dissapointed.. C´mon?! wtf is wrong with people? 

Nothing is wrong. Imagine someone replaced someone's favorite singer in a band. Even if that replacement is great, a lot of the times it doesn't work out cause of the emotional attachment of some fans to the original singer.

I think it's known Axl is one of the best hard rock singers in the world, even at his age. He can do a good job, but it's more about Brian or the lack of him to be precise. And those fans paid to see the band with Brian so it's only right imo that they'll have the choice to do something as stupid as returning their ticket. Their loss, it's a rare chance to witness something special.

Edited by Rovim