What are you currently playing? Last game played?

The last Doom I’ve played that was really awesome was Doom 3. It had atmosphere, drive, story, gradation... D4 reminded me of stuff like Quake Arena. Nothing against Quake, I love the series to death – in terms of the single-player games (and I even remember online massacres in the old times) – but I want something else from Doom. This new thing isn’t downright bad, but all things considered... I uninstalled it quite soon. 
Please, make a Doom 3 sequel! 

• 2 weeks later...

Just picked up Assassins Creed Odyssey in the Easter XBox sale for under £20. So far I'm really enjoying it. I've not played any of the games in the series properly since the original on the XBox 360 back in 2007 but this is pretty impressive so far.

I'm loving red dead 2 at the moment. such a zen game. I love the attitude of the main character. he's really the star of the show. Ten times more interesting than john marston who was a bit of a bore I find. There's much humour in read dead 2, I am smiling ear to ear playing this game.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, action said:

I'm loving red dead 2 at the moment. such a zen game. I love the attitude of the main character. he's really the star of the show. Ten times more interesting than john marston who was a bit of a bore I find. There's much humour in read dead 2, I am smiling ear to ear playing this game.

A few of my friends were itching to play online so I caved on a PS4 which means I too have been putting serious time into Red Dead 2. I had to catch back up to where I was on my Xbox One save and now I've surpassed it. Truly a remarkable masterpiece of a game.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I've taken all this down time and applied it towards Metroid games that I'd either never played or never finished. 

In the past two weeks, I've beaten the following:

Metroid II (AM2R) 

Super Metroid

Metroid Zero Mission

Metroid Fusion

• Like 1

Gave up on Resident Evil 2.  I now remember why I didn't enjoy the series until RE4.  Too much backtracking, trying to decipher clues, ultimately relying on internet walkthroughs.  I reached a point where it was clear I had not managed my ammunition properly and now have nothing to get me through the next state.  I really don't want to replay the game from several save points ago and have mostly lost interest.  The re-release of RE2 is a well polished game, but it doesn't change the fact that it's really tedious.

I bought Metal Gear Solid V: The Definitive Experience for $15 the other day but haven't had a chance to try it.  Completely forgot I still have Far Cry 5 to get through (bought it two years ago, still in its shrink wrap).  I loved Metal Gear Solid back on my PS1 so hoping this will be fun.  

12 minutes ago, downzy said:

Gave up on Resident Evil 2.  I now remember why I didn't enjoy the series until RE4.  Too much backtracking, trying to decipher clues, ultimately relying on internet walkthroughs.  I reached a point where it was clear I had not managed my ammunition properly and now have nothing to get me through the next state.  I really don't want to replay the game from several save points ago and have mostly lost interest.  The re-release of RE2 is a well polished game, but it doesn't change the fact that it's really tedious.

I bought Metal Gear Solid V: The Definitive Experience for $15 the other day but haven't had a chance to try it.  Completely forgot I still have Far Cry 5 to get through (bought it two years ago, still in its shrink wrap).  I loved Metal Gear Solid back on my PS1 so hoping this will be fun.  

I really enjoyed the new Resi 2 right up until the final boss and now I hate it. :lol: 

20 minutes ago, Dazey said:

I really enjoyed the new Resi 2 right up until the final boss and now I hate it. :lol: 

I think I’m somewhat halfway through; at the point where the zombie dogs in the garage are everywhere and I have zero bullets to put any down. I just can’t be bothered. 

16 minutes ago, downzy said:

I think I’m somewhat halfway through; at the point where the zombie dogs in the garage are everywhere and I have zero bullets to put any down. I just can’t be bothered. 

I bought an arcade cab kit about a year ago and built it but never got around to buying the joysticks so I've taken this lockdown as an excuse to finish it off. Finally bought two Sanwa Denshi arcade sticks to put in it this week and I've almost finished it now so a bit of old school arcade goodness is going to be my go to for the forseeable. Just waiting for the joystick encoder to arrive so I can get it all working.

Mzuz3pX.jpg 

:lol: 

Edited by Dazey
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Dazey said:

I bought an arcade cab kit about a year ago and built it but never got around to buying the joysticks so I've taken this lockdown as an excuse to finish it off. Finally bought two Sanwa Denshi arcade sticks to put in it this week and I've almost finished it now so a bit of old school arcade goodness is going to be my go to for the forseeable. Just waiting for the joystick encoder to arrive so I can get it all working.

Mzuz3pX.jpg 

:lol: 

Is that your copy of Making Waves?  Can I wager that it's a signed copy :P 

Nice set up; very jealous.  Zero chance my wife is letting me set something up in our basement.  

Those games bring back a lot of nostalgia for me.  Late 80s, early 90s was about two things for me: GNR and video games.  Great times.

42 minutes ago, downzy said:

Is that your copy of Making Waves?  Can I wager that it's a signed copy :P 

You know me far too well. The origin of the stain is, errrrrrr, unknown. :lol: 

Jv7TbUy.jpg 

42 minutes ago, downzy said:

Those games bring back a lot of nostalgia for me.  Late 80s, early 90s was about two things for me: GNR and video games.  Great times.

Totally agree. I think I'm about the same age as you so totally the same thing. I used to love going to the arcades as a kid and I'm absolutely loving being able to play all these old games at home. 

Played all the way though the Ninja Turtles game with my 5 year old yesterday. I'm hoping she likes playing on this too cos then I get an excuse. :lol:  

13 hours ago, Dazey said:

You know me far too well. The origin of the stain is, errrrrrr, unknown. :lol: 

My first thought was there's no way a book such as that one is as prominently displayed without it being signed.  I believe that's what they call a real conversation starter.  

I now have this image in my head of 26/27 year old Chris with an unsigned book in hand waiting in line filled with 50+ year old women at a Texas Barnes & Noble to meet the Hoff.  

I can hear the worlds, "I love your music" being faintly voiced during the exchange, followed by a drunken high five by the Hoff. 

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, downzy said:

My first thought was there's no way a book such as that one is as prominently displayed without it being signed.  I believe that's what they call a real conversation starter.  

I now have this image in my head of 26/27 year old Chris with an unsigned book in hand waiting in line filled with 50+ year old women at a Texas Barnes & Noble to meet the Hoff.  

I can hear the worlds, "I love your music" being faintly voiced during the exchange, followed by a drunken high five by the Hoff. 

Not my video but I'm in that mob somewhere. :lol: 

On 5/13/2020 at 2:21 PM, James Bond said:

Shadow of the Tomb Raider. Different vibe on this one compared to the first two, but I like it. Definitely more of an emphasis on the exploration this time and very little in the way of combat which might turn people off.

I'm so lost as to which one I played and which ones I haven't.  I believe I played the very first reboot Tomb Raider that came out for Xbox 360, but I'm not 100 percent sure.  I believe there were two sequels but I'm not sure if it was the sequel I played or the original.  The joys of turning 40!

I do remember enjoying it though. 

4 hours ago, downzy said:

I'm so lost as to which one I played and which ones I haven't.  I believe I played the very first reboot Tomb Raider that came out for Xbox 360, but I'm not 100 percent sure.  I believe there were two sequels but I'm not sure if it was the sequel I played or the original.  The joys of turning 40!

I do remember enjoying it though. 

You old man. ;)

You've remembered correctly! The first one came out for 360/PS3 and then they quickly ported it over to the new consoles so if that's what's sticking in your head it was probably the first game. I think the first sequel (Rise) came out for the 360 as well.

10 hours ago, James Bond said:

You old man. ;)

You've remembered correctly! The first one came out for 360/PS3 and then they quickly ported it over to the new consoles so if that's what's sticking in your head it was probably the first game. I think the first sequel (Rise) came out for the 360 as well.

Yeah, I think it was the first one I played.  I guess I'm just surprised that there have been two sequels since.  I have some catching up to do.

2 hours ago, downzy said:

Yeah, I think it was the first one I played.  I guess I'm just surprised that there have been two sequels since.  I have some catching up to do.

I loved the atmosphere of the second one and the challenge tombs were more engaging, but I thought the story lacked any real hook which is where the first had its greatest strength. Still worth playing though. I've enjoyed the trilogy.

• Like 1

After finishing Shadow of the Tomb Raider I didn't feel like diving into another in depth game so I decided to play through the HD remaster of Hitman: Blood Money which is still my favourite entry in the series. Despite some clunky controls I think the gameplay has aged very well. Superior to its follow-up (Absolution) in every way.