Bohemian Rhapsody trailer released (film due Nov)

5 hours ago, edsonandhudson said:

Great movie. Just ignore the innacurate scenes. This is a simple, fun and emotional celebration of Queen and Freddie. Not perfect but it's your fault if you expected it to be.

I didn't expect it to be perfect by any means but I just can't get over the way his diagnosis is handled. Live Aid was amazing on it's own without having to completely fabricate the fact that he was dianosed prior to it.

On 21/06/2018 at 7:48 AM, Fashionista said:

A guy as vibrant and who loved life as much as Freddie wasn't meant to make it to old age, I think. Being old, wrinkled and unable to do what he loved might've been worse in some ways. He went out a young man, and that's his image forever. 

I remember watching a queen special a couple of years ago on abc tv and Brian said freddie didnt want to be an old queen, i took that that he was ok with dying. But at least he made his remaining time productive by recording as much music with the band as possible.

2 hours ago, RussTCB said:

I didn't expect it to be perfect by any means but I just can't get over the way his diagnosis is handled. Live Aid was amazing on it's own without having to completely fabricate the fact that he was dianosed prior to it.

Spoiler

Fair enough and I wasn't replying directly to you btw haha. I actually liked the scene. In early comments about the movie there was speculation they wouldn't even mention his disease so this was a plus. And I get why they did it.

How can you give a band biopic an epic finale and give it the more tension/emotion you can? It's not like their lives/the world would be at risk. So I understand them using Freddie's disease and solo album tension (Band never broke up or was about to, like they showed in the movie) to make that final moment pay off.

That's why I didn't mind about the innacuracies. They had to or the movie would be bland as fuck. Besides Freddie's disease/sexuality/parties, Queen didn't have much controversy did they?

Edited by edsonandhudson
  • Like 2

On 11/8/2018 at 6:03 PM, Kasanova King said:

8.4/10 rating on IMDb.  Looks pretty good.

Some of you guys refusing to see this because of a few snobbish critic reviews are probably doing yourselves a disservice.

I'll probably check it out this weekend.

I'm choosing not to see it based on the time line being so incredibly wrong, not because of anything a critic said. 

On 10/11/2018 at 2:23 PM, RussTCB said:

I'm choosing not to see it based on the time line being so incredibly wrong, not because of anything a critic said. 

You can't make a 100% accurate movie if you want a good pace and story structure.
It's impossible to make a good movie if they don't change anything.
If you're looking for something 100% accurate to real life, you can see a documentary.

On November 11, 2018 at 5:28 PM, Uncle Bob said:

You can't make a 100% accurate movie if you want a good pace and story structure.
It's impossible to make a good movie if they don't change anything.
If you're looking for something 100% accurate to real life, you can see a documentary.

That's not really the problem, though. The problem is that theyre manipulating the audience into thinking things like "Queen was added as a late addition to Live Aid cause Freddie's shitty manager was hiding things" and "Freedie told the band right before Live Aid that he had aids so it brought them closer together and that's why that show ended up being as awesome as it was." It was like this movie wanted to be somewhat accurate while still having the standard dramatic structure of a film narrative. It was, in a sense, trying to have its cake and eat it too.

Now, to be fair, you are correct that biopics can never be truly accurate to what really happened. To that, I say that more biopics should take a note from films like Steve Jobs (2015) and get really artsy and experimental and make it clear that "yeah we know this isn't accurate but we don't care cause we're just focusing solely on character and not on events." A friend of mine once said it like this: "The 2015 Steve Jobs films is not actually about his life, it's an artistic expression of his life." And that's what I think this queen film shouldve been.

I saw this last week, very emotional for many reasons, of course the music being one of them! What amazed me the most was how good Rami Malek was, he really became Freddie for this movie! It was so impressive. The timeline in the movie is weird yes but it doesn't stop it from being a great watch! The only thing I missed was the last years of Freddie and the recording sessions around the time where Freddie was a bad ass doing so while being weak, a Grande finale might have Been some images of the Freddie Tribute in 92. 

Well, I enjoyed it a lot. Then again it's hard not to enjoy hearing Queen songs on the big screen for over two hours. If you're a diehard Queen fan and you want to nitpick everything, then maybe you shouldn't bother watching it. I got even a bit emotional at the end, which doesn't happen to me often.

19 hours ago, rocknroll41 said:

"Freedie told the band right before Live Aid that he had aids so it brought them closer together and that's why that show ended up being as awesome as it was." 

Maybe that's what they were going for, but I didn't interpret it like that. Even so, it wouldn't have bothered me.

Great movie. Not a masterpiece of filmmaking, but it entertains a lot. Queen was the real winner here, they carried the movie. The band scenes were hilarious and the songs A+. An exciting reminder of how great their songs were. 

Now I wish for Guns N' Roses to make one biopic, but that will never happen ofc.:violin:

Edited by Urd's Return

On November 17, 2018 at 4:56 PM, Urd's Return said:

Great movie. Not a masterpiece of filmmaking, but it entertains a lot. Queen was the real winner here, they carried the movie. The band scenes were hilarious and the songs A+. An exciting reminder of how great their songs were. 

Now I wish for Guns N' Roses to make one biopic, but that will never happen ofc.:violin:

I used to want a GN'R biopic but now Id think it would just be a disaster. 

• Like 1