Changes in the upcoming leg?

6 minutes ago, MidnightToker said:

Would Axl's ego get in the way of him singing a Myles Kennedy song? He seems a little more laid back these days so maybe it's possible 

Why should he? Myles Kennedy is still alive. 

7 hours ago, Sosso said:

Why should he? Myles Kennedy is still alive. 

I'm just wondering about the general question of whether Axl would sing an SMKC song. It would blow my mind if he did. The other singers he covers -- Scott Weiland, Chris Cornell, etc. -- are rock legends, whereas Myles Kennedy is not considered on that level. On the one hand I'd think Axl would open to playing a song that Slash wrote (like he did with Slither) but not a Myles Kennedy song because he may not have any respect for Myles, at least compared to the other singers he covers. 

14 hours ago, ChristmasFnatic said:

As I said before, Axl should cover a Prince song. They have the same! Would be nice!

It would most likely come off as really cheesy if they played one if the hits, hence why Axl said they wouldn't be able to do a Prince cover justice (remember when everyone and their mama were covering Purple Rain and Nothing Compares 2 U? Cringe.)

Although I would love to hear Axl's take on something like 319, Chaos & Disorder or Loose. Slash would sound great on something bluesier like Zannalee or Baby Knows. 

I always thought Duff would've at least dusted off his Bambi cover as a solo spot.

Edited by Azifwekare

On 14/10/2018 at 4:55 AM, MidnightToker said:

I'm just wondering about the general question of whether Axl would sing an SMKC song. It would blow my mind if he did. The other singers he covers -- Scott Weiland, Chris Cornell, etc. -- are rock legends, whereas Myles Kennedy is not considered on that level. On the one hand I'd think Axl would open to playing a song that Slash wrote (like he did with Slither) but not a Myles Kennedy song because he may not have any respect for Myles, at least compared to the other singers he covers. 

I think Axl respects Myles. While Myles hasn't had the sane success as other legendary frontmen, anyone who has a clue about singing should be able to appreciate how good and consistent Myles is. Also! I think he passes the test of what is legendary seeing as 3/4s of Led Zeppelin we're seriously considering hitting the road with him as their singer. If that doesn't give you the seal of approval nothing does.

I think there was also a rumored story of Axl having people back on his bus after a gnr show and 'you're a lie' came on the radio and he asked for it to be put back on, after someone had switched it off... Don't know if this is confirmed, but I see no reason why he wouldn't like it considering he is a fan of Slash's style and because it's a legitimately good song. Anyway, if it's true, it confirms that Axl likes Myles's voice. 

17 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

I think there was also a rumored story of Axl having people back on his bus after a gnr show and 'you're a lie' came on the radio and he asked for it to be put back on, after someone had switched it off... Don't know if this is confirmed, but I see no reason why he wouldn't like it considering he is a fan of Slash's style and because it's a legitimately good song. Anyway, if it's true, it confirms that Axl likes Myles's voice. 

That story on the tour bus was about "By The Sword", not "You're a lie"

I'd guess that it wouldn't have to do with whether Axl appreciates Myles as a singer, but with the lyrics. I think Anastasia (and all the other Myles songs) just aren't something Axl would sing and could relate to.

I'm probably in the minority here, but I hope I'm right, because I don't think Anastasia fits Axl and I wouldn't like to hear him sing this or any other Myles song.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Blackstar said:

That story on the tour bus was about "By The Sword", not "You're a lie"

I'd guess that it wouldn't have to do with whether Axl appreciates Myles as a singer, but with the lyrics. I think Anastasia (and all the other Myles songs) just aren't something Axl would sing and could relate to.

I'm probably in the minority here, but I hope I'm right, because I don't think Anastasia fits Axl and I wouldn't like to hear him sing this or any other Myles song.

You might be right about Axl being unable to relate to Myles' lyrics. I thought it was an interesting thing to ponder because GnR has played a lot of things that Axl and Slash did separately - CD, VR, etc. I guess they haven't done any Snakepit stuff yet, and obviously no SMKC songs. 

If they decided to cover SMKC, maybe My Antidote would be a good option for Axl. 

Edited by MidnightToker
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Ralphelmo said:

Safari Inn would be a good song to put instead of Godfather (I know, it's a moneymaker...). I'm listening to AL and WOF to find some songs that would suit Axl both music and lyrics wise, I'll share my thoughts after that.

Maybe You're A Lie or 30 Years to Life would suit Axl...many of the other Myles songs clearly would not...

On 17.10.2018 at 7:05 PM, MidnightToker said:

Maybe You're A Lie or 30 Years to Life would suit Axl...many of the other Myles songs clearly would not...

I'd go with Stone Blind & Dirty Girl. Axl could tweak those melodies towards his own interpretation and still fit to music. I can also imagine him singing Back From Cali :P 

Edited by Ralphelmo